Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
It took a little over 3 months and 4 emails from me, but I finally got my 3000 points from my WSJ Wine purchase in March. It was labeled as "ASM Customer Service Bonus", but I got the miles and LPs, so whatever.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
How do you typically use them? A lot of online portals don't allow multi card transactions - is there a way to lump them together?

My 2 GCs so far have been used on various purchases and the remainder (<50) got loaded to Amazon to zero the card out.
Pay your bills! Our city utilities portal accepts GCs so I'm 2-3 months ahead on that. Tmobile also accepts GCs so I've gotten ahead on those also. Can't figure out a way to use them for Cox cable though which is annoying me a great deal.
Antarius and nk15 like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Electric, phone, cable, and internet bills, I just load all the leftovers from the giftcards there as pre-payments...
Venezuela-Miami and Antarius like this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
All of these are good ideas, but they still limit you to the scope of bills you can pay online or over the phone with credit cards.

Since my health insurance is $1500 a month, I haven't had much of a problem so far, but that will change in a few months when I turn 65 and go on Medicare. As noted upthread, my plan is to use them to pay my credit card bills at Walmart. This works, although depending on your local Walmart it might not be trivial.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Pay your bills! Our city utilities portal accepts GCs so I'm 2-3 months ahead on that. Tmobile also accepts GCs so I've gotten ahead on those also. Can't figure out a way to use them for Cox cable though which is annoying me a great deal.
They just allow you to prepay? Or how do you get ahead?

Also, say you have a bill that is 400 USD. Unless they let you prepay or perform multiple payment options, how do you pay above the 250 max per card?

Originally Posted by redtop43
Since my health insurance is $1500 a month, I haven't had much of a problem so far
​​​​​​​similar question..how do you get to 1500? Prepay or multiple GCs?
Old Jul 5, 2022, 10:21 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National

Also, say you have a bill that is 400 USD. Unless they let you prepay or perform multiple payment options, how do you pay above the 250 max per card?
All of my utilities (verizon wireless, verizon fios, electric, landlord/rent) allow me to make payments in any amount - higher or lower than the actual bill, and they just keep the balance on file if it's an overpayment.

I also had a few doctor's bills this month for copays of $25-45 and paid those online with the GCs. And I know I'll have ultrasound copays coming up of $100 each.

I also don't use it every week - maybe once every 6 weeks, but i've been enjoying Home Chef, and I'll buy a Home Chef gift card on giftcards.com for the exact amount before the order is processed each time.
Venezuela-Miami and nk15 like this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How do you typically use them? A lot of online portals don't allow multi card transactions - is there a way to lump them together?

My 2 GCs so far have been used on various purchases and the remainder (<50) got loaded to Amazon to zero the card out.
My only bill payment that doesn't allow me to pay online in any amount (allowing for multiple payments) is my health insurance. So I have to call in for that. It's about a 20 minute phone call, which is annoying, but it's only once a month.

I also use them for online purchases through the portal sometimes (double dip) but that's actually rare because I don't actually buy very much stuff. It's mostly bill payments and subscriptions.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
Well, after a few months I finally got a reply back on my Bright Cellars order:

I am following up with you today regarding your order inquiry for Bright Cellars.

Allow me to inform you that the merchant has concluded the research on this transaction and has notified us that unfortunately this order # 1832952 is not eligible for rewards.

Please know that merchants pay commissions to AAdvantage eShopping and we convert that commission into rewards that we credit to your account. In this case, the merchant has indicated that the commission for this order was payable to another party outside of our network.

How can this happen?

• Clicking on another shopping link to price compare, search for discounts/coupons, or a simple product search can result in a last click not being attributed to your account.
• Using discounts not offered on the shopping site, or discounts in mailers, or with credit card offers.
• Please check any other award/loyalty programs you or household members may belong to, commission could have been awarded to that account if that account was not properly logged out of at the time of the purchase, or cookies could still be active at the time of the purchase.

We appreciate your understanding in this matter.
This is complete crap since on the same day I also made a giftcards purchase that tracked and did everything exactly the same. Is there anything else I can do at this point?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
no1cub17 , nk15 , redtop43 , chrisny2 , VegasGambler - Thank you very much. (hope I didn't miss anyone and if I did, thank you too!)
Old Jul 6, 2022, 8:04 pm

no1cub17 , nk15 , redtop43 , chrisny2 , VegasGambler - Thank you very much. (hope I didn't miss anyone and if I did, thank you too!)
Of course! To answer your question above (and someone else mentioned the same strategy that I use) - yes, my utility companies let me make one time payments of any amount. Quick and easy way to liquidate $250!
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 12:21 am

similar question..how do you get to 1500? Prepay or multiple GCs?
More than you really asked... if I call, they will take GC's over the phone, but they cannot do more than one payment per day of the same amount, so I'd have to do $250.00, $249.99, $249.98, etc.

If I do it by phone, I can do multiple payments of $250, but there's a catch. I can't pay more than I owe but they don't update right away. So let's say I owe $500 but want to pay $1000. I can do it as long as I do the overpayments before the account updates, which generally takes about 24 hours.

Note that I'm eligible for a significant Obamacare subsidy, but I don't take an "advance premium credit" as it's called. It's added back into my tax refund.

However, at this point I only have $2000 more to pay them and then I switch to Medicare.

On another note, I once needed a $5K spend to get a SUB on an Amex card. I called my solar provider and paid them $5000. As a result, I haven't had a bill from them for years ($92 a month) and I have maybe another year before I will owe them any money.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 12:23 am

Has anyone used the generic GC's to buy AA GC's?

It's a shame that the shopping portal doesn't sell AA GC's.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by redtop43
Has anyone used the generic GC's to buy AA GC's?

It's a shame that the shopping portal doesn't sell AA GC's.
Yes, but not directly. I do it through Slide at 4% off.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 4:44 pm

Is there no way to currently get a fee-free Visa GC then? I was scrolling up and it looks like the "free" Visa GC option has gone away. $5.95 for 1000 LPs isn't the worst deal in the world but still!
Old Jul 7, 2022, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Is there no way to currently get a fee-free Visa GC then? I was scrolling up and it looks like the "free" Visa GC option has gone away. $5.95 for 1000 LPs isn't the worst deal in the world but still!
But still what?

The fee free Visa was possibly an oversight. It did not last long. Giftcardmall actually discontinued the product (so giftcards.com can't sell it).

Nothing lasts forever. And the better deals last less time than the average ones.
Mr. BoH likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.