Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
Is there any consensus on approximately how long it takes Marriott stays to post if they're going to post correctly (i.e., sans the prodding and bickering with Cartera)?
Just one data point, but my most recent one took just short of 2 weeks.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 10:55 am

So I took advantage of the 4x Marriott Special yesterday and made some reservations. My accoount shows my recent visit to Marriott, but it is not showing my reservation number or amount of the reservation. I have used both Chrome and Firefox with no Ad Blocker active and no other shopping portal open. I also cleared all of my cookies and cache and tried again, but only see the recent visit.

Also wondering....in reading the fine print on what is eligible, are only the regular rates eligible or are the prepay rates eligible as well. I'm military and I typically book under the Government rate, but I know that rate is not eligible, so trying to make sure I pick the right eligible rate. In the reservations I made yesterday, I did pick the regular flexible member rate, which is the most expensive.

Finally, I also purchased the Motley"s Fool promotion ($79 for 7,400 miles). My account shows my recent visit to the site, but is also not showing the amount or confirmation. I definitely saw the special was activated and I got the congratulations banner after the purchase....so just wondering what is going on.

On previous purchases for Sam's Club and an older test Marriott Reservation, it showed the cost details in the recent stores visited tab.
zip10001 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Nuttz4Sports
So I took advantage of the 4x Marriott Special yesterday and made some reservations. My accoount shows my recent visit to Marriott, but it is not showing my reservation number or amount of the reservation. I have used both Chrome and Firefox with no Ad Blocker active and no other shopping portal open. I also cleared all of my cookies and cache and tried again, but only see the recent visit.
I am happy to report that the AA portal shows my visit to Marriott and the amount spent on Aug 03.

No LP yet while points from Nike were posted as of Aug 05.

Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by zip10001
I am happy to report that the AA portal shows my visit to Marriott and the amount spent on Aug 03.

It takes several hours (sometimes up to a day later) for Marriott booking info to come across to the portal, IME.

Miles/LPs aren’t received until after checkout. And that can take a few weeks (as I noted above), or possibly a few months (per the terms up to 90 days post-checkout).

This is for standard bookings, at least. I’m not sure what happens on pre-paid stays.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by zip10001

did you see your Marriott Reservation under your recnt store visits before the night of your stay or did it show up after you checked out
Old Aug 5, 2022, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Is there any consensus on approximately how long it takes Marriott stays to post if they're going to post correctly (i.e., sans the prodding and bickering with Cartera)?
Mine have been posting somewhere between 60-90 days. They say not to contact them until 90 days have passed. Incidentally, I've had success getting retroactive bonus credit for stays that fell during a promo period (i.e. spend $xx and get X,XXX bonus points between these dates). Best of al, the retro bonuses posted as LPs.

Originally Posted by murphy
Yes, they’ve been running pretty frequently.
IIRC, I think we've only hit 4-miles per dollar twice in 2022, both within the last 30 days, and both times it went up from 3 the prior day. I remember it hitting perhaps 3 miles per dollar a couple times earlier in the year.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 9:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
Originally Posted by TropicalTripper
Mine have been posting somewhere between 60-90 days. They say not to contact them until 90 days have passed. Incidentally, I've had success getting retroactive bonus credit for stays that fell during a promo period (i.e. spend $xx and get X,XXX bonus points between these dates). Best of al, the retro bonuses posted as LPs.
Many thanks for the data points. Have you stayed recently? Also, do you mean they automatically posted the retro bonus with the rest of your points, or you had to ask them to do it? Thanks again.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: AA, AI-FR, ClubVistara, KrisFlyer, EK, InterMiles
Miles for Meal Kit subscriptions

Hi all,

I was just looking through the AA e-shopping website and spotted some ~2k miles offers for meal kit subscriptions (Hello Fresh, Green Chef, et al.) - found that the "discounts" they provide are only for the first shipment with subsequent shipments costing a lot more. So, I'm checking here if others have had success with earning miles WHILE canceling the subscriptions after the first shipment ( to minimize the $/points value)

Eager to know about some data points
Old Aug 6, 2022, 11:13 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by SuraBoy
Hi all,

I was just looking through the AA e-shopping website and spotted some ~2k miles offers for meal kit subscriptions (Hello Fresh, Green Chef, et al.) - found that the "discounts" they provide are only for the first shipment with subsequent shipments costing a lot more. So, I'm checking here if others have had success with earning miles WHILE canceling the subscriptions after the first shipment ( to minimize the $/points value)

IME, best not to tangle with subscriptions + miles + canceling.
roadtriper and SuraBoy like this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA PPro (OWE), Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
Hi all,

Did Hello Fresh last month, cancelled once first delivery was in my hands, LPs credited, no dramas. Plan to do the other services once my schedule settles.
SuraBoy likes this.

Last edited by LittleBird; Aug 6, 2022 at 1:50 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 7, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Many thanks for the data points. Have you stayed recently? Also, do you mean they automatically posted the retro bonus with the rest of your points, or you had to ask them to do it? Thanks again.
I had two stays last weekend that I booked a couple weeks ago when eShopping was offering four miles per dollar. The bookings show on my shopping trips, but haven't posted yet. I don't think I've ever gotten credit sooner than 2 months after the stay. For the retro bonus, I had to contact them. I've had my stays post after the promo posted to my account, and I don't think their system will recognize the spend for bonus purposes. In the most recent instance, I earned 500 miles on non-Marriott spend during a promo period, but the Marriott spend would've netted me 1,000 miles. I wrote them and they manually credited me the additional 500-miles, which also posted as LPs. I've been holding on to the T&Cs to cite when I contact them. I've gotten retro miles twice and both times I got LPs. I think it's ambiguous whether the booking has to be made during the promo period or whether the stay must conclude within the bonus period. In both instances for me, the stay ended during the bonus period.

Originally Posted by econ
This is for standard bookings, at least. I’m not sure what happens on pre-paid stays.
I have gotten credit for prepaid stays at least twice. They're published and commissionable rates, so I don't know why you wouldn't. I've earned several times on AAA discount bookings as well. I book government rates frequently, and I use the portal 'just in case', but I've never gotten points for those stays, nor would I expect to.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 1:08 pm

I have gotten credit for prepaid stays at least twice. They're published and commissionable rates, so I don't know why you wouldn't.
I don't know why you wouldn't either. What I didn't know was the timing that miles/LPs from pre-paid stays post relative to checkout. (i.e. is an actual stay required to trigger the process of getting AA miles/LPs credited, or is payment sufficient?)
Old Aug 7, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
I had two stays last weekend that I booked a couple weeks ago when eShopping was offering four miles per dollar. The bookings show on my shopping trips, but haven't posted yet. I don't think I've ever gotten credit sooner than 2 months after the stay. For the retro bonus, I had to contact them. I've had my stays post after the promo posted to my account, and I don't think their system will recognize the spend for bonus purposes. In the most recent instance, I earned 500 miles on non-Marriott spend during a promo period, but the Marriott spend would've netted me 1,000 miles. I wrote them and they manually credited me the additional 500-miles, which also posted as LPs. I've been holding on to the T&Cs to cite when I contact them. I've gotten retro miles twice and both times I got LPs. I think it's ambiguous whether the booking has to be made during the promo period or whether the stay must conclude within the bonus period. In both instances for me, the stay ended during the bonus period.
All very helpful info. Much appreciated.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 6:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
In my experience, they either post within ~two weeks or not at all. But when they don't post you still have to wait the full 90 days before filing a claim. I wind up with a lot of calendar reminders.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Hi all,

Did WSJWine back in March. Subscribed to the every 3 months order plan. Figured I would cancel once my points (3k at the time) posted. 2.5 months after my first order and the points still hadn't posted. I canceled my subscription and was in communication with the AA shopping people to get my points. Eventually they posted, about 100 days after my purchase, and after I had canceled my subscription. So while there were hiccups, it did post and I was able to cancel after only the first order.
DrinkSlinger and SuraBoy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.