Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2022, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Just a note on terminology; once it's appeared in recent store visits with a dollar amount it's "tracked". That is a significant step because it means that the merchant has relayed the amount of the order back to the portal.
The only one that tracks but largely never posts is Moo. Tracks like a charm and then nada.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:58 am

Any hope for LP for an order made a few days ago but hasn't even been tracked?

About ~$1.5k from Samsung and the order has already shipped. I'm honestly considering returning the items because the LP was part of the reason for the order.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Just a note on terminology; once it's appeared in recent store visits with a dollar amount it's "tracked". That is a significant step because it means that the merchant has relayed the amount of the order back to the portal.

Unfortunately it may take a while to post because of the issues with large orders, already mentioned.

As for the date, it will post backdated to the purchase date (similar to a partner flight -- it may take a while to post, but it's backdated to the travel date). Of course if it will get you over the top to a new status level, you don't want to be waiting weeks or months for it to finally post. Again, buying one card at a time solves this problem.
Thanks. I guess I need to just order one per day until the 3x from the portal and the 5% GCC discount runs out. Seems odd that AA hasn't figured this out with regards to loyalty points. Wonder what the daily and monthly limits are on GCC.

Last edited by DeltaNeutral28; Aug 17, 2022 at 7:30 pm Reason: .
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Thanks. I guess I need to just order one per day until the 3x from the portal and the 5% GCC discount runs out. Seems odd that AA hasn't figured this out with regards to loyalty points.
What do you mean by figured out?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Thanks. I guess I need to just order one per day until the 3x from the portal and the 5% GCC discount runs out. Seems odd that AA hasn't figured this out with regards to loyalty points.
What makes you think AA would care? This scheme is almost certainly working exactly as they intended it to. Selling miles to Cartera is surely more profitable than flying planes.
Antarius and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by njvandy
What makes you think AA would care? This scheme is almost certainly working exactly as they intended it to. Selling miles to Cartera is surely more profitable than flying planes.
I guess I'm unfamiliar with Cartera. With status starting at 30k LP, with this portal/GCC scheme you could get close to that over the course of a few weeks. I guess AA isn't fronting the discount on GCC which is the real key.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I'm unfamiliar with Cartera. With status starting at 30k LP, with this portal/GCC scheme you could get close to that over the course of a few weeks. I guess AA isn't fronting the discount on GCC which is the real key.
AA is selling the miles to whoever who is in turn using it to entice buyers. They win, the seller wins and the consumer, if FT savvy also wins.

Gold status costs AA nothing really. All the benefits are sunk costs and if it entices people to fly AA more, they win again.
njvandy, nk15 and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:33 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm late to this party. If I buy a virtual Visa GC from giftcards.com through the AA shopping portal, can I use the same virtual visa GC I just bought to pay on another AA shopping portal vendor, to kind of double dip on AA loyalty points?
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
AA is selling the miles to whoever who is in turn using it to entice buyers. They win, the seller wins and the consumer, if FT savvy also wins.

Gold status costs AA nothing really. All the benefits are sunk costs and if it entices people to fly AA more, they win again.
Thank you, I guess GCC is the only entity losing money here.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Thank you, I guess GCC is the only entity losing money here.
I wouldn't be so sure about that either. There is a reason they constantly sell these things below face value. This industry has a tremendous amount of spillage, with people losing track of GCs or not bothering to spend them down to the last penny all the time. They also know what they're doing here.
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:08 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by njvandy
I wouldn't be so sure about that either. There is a reason they constantly sell these things below face value. This industry has a tremendous amount of spillage, with people losing track of GCs or not bothering to spend them down to the last penny all the time. They also know what they're doing here.
I agree that is true overall, but certainly they are losing money on many individual transactions, and I would expect the majority of this influx of FT posters. Whether that is big enough for them to notice or care? Who knows? But selling $250 for $243 plus paying AA for 3x miles results in a negative 5-10% margin before considering any cost/overhead/etc. I find it hard to believe that can be sustained indefinitely, but I am happy to play along while it does.
njvandy likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
I agree that is true overall, but certainly they are losing money on many individual transactions, and I would expect the majority of this influx of FT posters. Whether that is big enough for them to notice or care? Who knows? But selling $250 for $243 plus paying AA for 3x miles results in a negative 5-10% margin before considering any cost/overhead/etc. I find it hard to believe that can be sustained indefinitely, but I am happy to play along while it does.
As I'm sure others have noticed, the fine print has a $2k per month limit on GCC orders. Is this calendar month or rolling 30 days ? I guess as soon as these deals on GCC go live people just do 8 individual offers ($250 E-VGC/E-MCGC depending on which has the discount) that day and then they are done for the month (assuming there is a decent portal stack)? Either way GCC does define their loss on FT types?
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:34 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
As I'm sure others have noticed, the fine print has a $2k per month limit on GCC orders. Is this calendar month or rolling 30 days ? I guess as soon as these deals on GCC go live people just do 8 individual offers ($250 E-VGC/E-MCGC depending on which has the discount) that day and then they are done for the month (assuming there is a decent portal stack)? Either way GCC does define their loss on FT types?
True, though anecdotally they don't seem to enforce the $2k limit. Not sure that anyone has tested that in a whale-esque way though. (And please don't, we want the gravy train to keep going!)
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
True, though anecdotally they don't seem to enforce the $2k limit. Not sure that anyone has tested that in a whale-esque way though. (And please don't, we want the gravy train to keep going!)
Without a doubt, $2k is a nice round number per month for me. However, I made my orders after the 11th of this month and the deal runs through the 11th of next month and was wanting to know if I can get the AA portal 3x (assuming AA portal keeps GCC at 3x for 3 more weeks) on another $2k in Sept. Appreciate all the help so far from everyone.
Antarius likes this.

Last edited by DeltaNeutral28; Aug 18, 2022 at 7:46 am Reason: .
Old Aug 18, 2022, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by jsimon926
Any hope for LP for an order made a few days ago but hasn't even been tracked?

About ~$1.5k from Samsung and the order has already shipped. I'm honestly considering returning the items because the LP was part of the reason for the order.
I spent a ton at Samsung last week on the 11th for 6 miles per $ and have only received a tracking email after 1 week. Would be nice for each store to set expectations on their average timing, or if a certain amount warrants manual review.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.