Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, AS
Originally Posted by edsh
Getting credit for GC.com purchases is painful. For every purchase ($250 every time), I wait the required 15 days and need to raise a request for points. I'm using Firefox. If anyone is getting consistent hassle free purchases from GC.com can you share the browser and settings you're using?

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Your problem is almost certainly that you have an ad blocker or installed, or and kind of tracking blocking enabled.

Just use a clean browser (not safari) that you don't use for anything else, with no plugins installed, using the default browser settings, and you will be fine.
Yup. I use Chrome and have the eShopping button, too. After my husband installed an ad-blocker, the button continued giving me alerts and confirmations of eligible purchases, but AA wasn’t tracking them. I could whitelist all of my stores, but it’s easier to just switch over to Edge now.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I have started getting the error when purchasingYour Giftcards.com order #xxxxxxhas been cancelled. Your order was not approved by our security screening process, as a result, your order will not be shipped. No funds will be collected from the credit or debit card used for this order*.

5 purchases of 250 posted immediately. 1 purchase of 2x250 was tracked but didn't post, I contacted AA Shopping and they posted it for me. Subsequent purchases of a 250 have been immediately declined.

Last successful purchase was over 10 days ago as well. So haven't bought too much recently.

Last edited by Antarius; Jul 29, 2022 at 6:40 pm
Old Jul 30, 2022, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Antarius
I have started getting the error when purchasingYour Giftcards.com order #xxxxxxhas been cancelled. Your order was not approved by our security screening process, as a result, your order will not be shipped. No funds will be collected from the credit or debit card used for this order*.

5 purchases of 250 posted immediately. 1 purchase of 2x250 was tracked but didn't post, I contacted AA Shopping and they posted it for me. Subsequent purchases of a 250 have been immediately declined.

Last successful purchase was over 10 days ago as well. So haven't bought too much recently.
so your card or account has been flagged by them. Easiest solution is to try a new credit card. If that doesn’t work call them.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lunchtime
so your card or account has been flagged by them. Easiest solution is to try a new credit card. If that doesn’t work call them.
I tried 2 credit cards and got the same issue (although both Chase Visas). Will try an Amex and also another email.

Any idea why it would get flagged? Only bought 1500 dollars worth total.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I tried 2 credit cards and got the same issue (although both Chase Visas). Will try an Amex and also another email.

Any idea why it would get flagged? Only bought 1500 dollars worth total.
What do you mean, try another email? Honestly that just looks more like fraud.

The credit card is not declining your transaction; it's not getting that far. The only reason that switching cards might help is if there's something about your CC that is raising flags. Is it in your name? Did the name match the name on your AA account? (I'm not sure if a name is passed to them in the tracking cookie, but if it is it should probably match the name on the CC as well as the name that you give giftcards.com and the name that you give Cartera.

Same with email; I would think that it would be best if the email address that you use for the portal should be the same as your giftcards.com account, and the same as your AA account. I'm not sure how much of this information gets passed through in the cookie but if it all matches you don't need to worry about it.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What do you mean, try another email? Honestly that just looks more like fraud.

The credit card is not declining your transaction; it's not getting that far. The only reason that switching cards might help is if there's something about your CC that is raising flags. Is it in your name? Did the name match the name on your AA account? (I'm not sure if a name is passed to them in the tracking cookie, but if it is it should probably match the name on the CC as well as the name that you give giftcards.com and the name that you give Cartera.

Same with email; I would think that it would be best if the email address that you use for the portal should be the same as your giftcards.com account, and the same as your AA account. I'm not sure how much of this information gets passed through in the cookie but if it all matches you don't need to worry about it.
Everything matches. AAdvantage account email, purchase email. Names and addresses match across AAdvantage, giftcards.com and all my credit card.

I'm not trying anything funky or trying to circumvent limits etc. Just trying to buy a GC within the 2k limit per month.

Ideally, I'd like to send the GCs to 2 different emails. Helps me keep organized - healthcare, phone etc. on one and other misc on the other. But I have thus far only used the same email that is on my account. I can't imagine it being looked at as fraud - I have bought GCs as gifts for people (independent of this in the past) and sent it to them; that's a pretty normal use case.

Also, nothing really has changed since the last successful purchase. Same credit cards, same address, same account. Very confused.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Everything matches. AAdvantage account email, purchase email. Names and addresses match across AAdvantage, giftcards.com and all my credit card.

I'm not trying anything funky or trying to circumvent limits etc. Just trying to buy a GC within the 2k limit per month.

Ideally, I'd like to send the GCs to 2 different emails. Helps me keep organized - healthcare, phone etc. on one and other misc on the other. But I have thus far only used the same email that is on my account. I can't imagine it being looked at as fraud - I have bought GCs as gifts for people (independent of this in the past) and sent it to them; that's a pretty normal use case.

Also, nothing really has changed since the last successful purchase. Same credit cards, same address, same account. Very confused.
I'm not suggesting that you are doing anything wrong, but sometimes people might use their spouse's CC or something.

I see now that you mean recipient email as opposed to your email. That should be fine as you can send the cards to other people. I always log in and use the "for me" selection so it sends them to the email address on my giftcards.com account (which matches everything else).

The $2k limit does not matter; that's not a purchase limit; it's a limit to earn miles, and it's not enforced anyway. If it was enforced you could still purchase more than $2k; you just wouldn't get miles.

I don't know what to tell you; I do this regularly and I've only ever had an order cancelled once, and that was when I was mixing VGC and branded cards in the sand order. I also once had an order get held until they called me; it was a large order (I had a dentist bill to pay) and after they called me it went through. I don't make large orders any more since the miles don't post automatically.

A friend of mine had an order get cancelled once but he was doing something strange; using an SO's CC to buy her a brand GC but credit to his AA account, so nothing matched.

I would say to make sure that the address in your giftcards.com account matches your billing address but I just checked and mine doesn't -- I still have my old address from before I moved on that account. I'm not going to change it because everything is working well for me right now and I don't want to do anything that might change that.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not suggesting that you are doing anything wrong, but sometimes people might use their spouse's CC or something.

I see now that you mean recipient email as opposed to your email. That should be fine as you can send the cards to other people. I always log in and use the "for me" selection so it sends them to the email address on my giftcards.com account (which matches everything else).

The $2k limit does not matter; that's not a purchase limit; it's a limit to earn miles, and it's not enforced anyway. If it was enforced you could still purchase more than $2k; you just wouldn't get miles.

I don't know what to tell you; I do this regularly and I've only ever had an order cancelled once, and that was when I was mixing VGC and branded cards in the sand order. I also once had an order get held until they called me; it was a large order (I had a dentist bill to pay) and after they called me it went through. I don't make large orders any more since the miles don't post automatically.

A friend of mine had an order get cancelled once but he was doing something strange; using an SO's CC to buy her a brand GC but credit to his AA account, so nothing matched.

I would say to make sure that the address in your giftcards.com account matches your billing address but I just checked and mine doesn't -- I still have my old address from before I moved on that account. I'm not going to change it because everything is working well for me right now and I don't want to do anything that might change that.
I've actually done guest checkouts on giftcards.con thus far. Just created an account, so maybe that helps? Only bought 250 USD Visa virtual cards and Nothing else.

Otherwise, checked again and everything appears to line up. Same name, address and email on AA.com, AA eshopping, Giftcards.com and my credit card issuer.

I contacted them via the website form and am waiting to hear back as well. Will report back with any updates.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP

I had this exact same issue. I called/chatted/emailed them (yes, tried all 3) and got the same generic reply every time. I had seemingly tried everything: Different cards, different accounts, different e-mail addresses, and nothing seemed to work...until yesterday. Two things I did different yesterday: 95% of the time I work from home (and every order I have tried to place has been connected to my home network) but yesterday I went into the office. I placed an order from there and also changed the value down to $200 and the order went through! I was stoked. Not sure if it was the change in IP address or the value but glad to finally have it go through. I'm hesitant to place another order in the next week or so since I have 8 cancelled orders ($250 each) in the last 2 weeks and the RD/LPs from the orders have all posted to my aa account. I'm pretty sure the RDs will be clawed back, which is fine, but I do not want to create any kind of flag on my account so just to be safe I'll wait until the 2nd week of August to try again to make some tests. I'll report back once I try again from my home network.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirricK11
I had this exact same issue. I called/chatted/emailed them (yes, tried all 3) and got the same generic reply every time. I had seemingly tried everything: Different cards, different accounts, different e-mail addresses, and nothing seemed to work...until yesterday. Two things I did different yesterday: 95% of the time I work from home (and every order I have tried to place has been connected to my home network) but yesterday I went into the office. I placed an order from there and also changed the value down to $200 and the order went through! I was stoked. Not sure if it was the change in IP address or the value but glad to finally have it go through. I'm hesitant to place another order in the next week or so since I have 8 cancelled orders ($250 each) in the last 2 weeks and the RD/LPs from the orders have all posted to my aa account. I'm pretty sure the RDs will be clawed back, which is fine, but I do not want to create any kind of flag on my account so just to be safe I'll wait until the 2nd week of August to try again to make some tests. I'll report back once I try again from my home network.
Interesting. I didn't think about the network aspect.

In my case, all purchases were made at home, although the recent failed ones occured on a different computer; my old laptop was on the fritz and I just bought a new one (ironically through hp.com via eshopping portal). I can't see why that would make a difference though, especially on a brand new machine.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
I also think it's related to the IP address. I tried one purchase away from home, received a cancellation, wrote in, got it fixed, returned home and purchased again, got the error, wrote in, got it fixed. It's an incredibly sensitive security setup. From now on I'll use the same PC, with the same browser, from the same location and hope that nothing else triggers an error.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update : I tried buying it and sending it to my other email ID (albeit from an account of the email that stopped working) and 2 purchases went through.

I did get LPs for 5 purchases though. 3 failed and 2 successful. Assuming these will be removed?I don't want my account flagged .
Old Aug 1, 2022, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update : I tried buying it and sending it to my other email ID (albeit from an account of the email that stopped working) and 2 purchases went through.

I did get LPs for 5 purchases though. 3 failed and 2 successful. Assuming these will be removed?I don't want my account flagged .
LPs from cancelled offers do not appear to be removed. Miles are. This appears to be a bug on AA's end; when they process the reversal they do not subtract the LP. It's possible that they are aware of it, are working on a fix, and will retroactively remove them at some point, so rely on them at your own risk. I have about 5k LPs from cancelled orders.
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:04 pm

I promise everyone is over thinking these miles posting and making it way harder than it needs to be

1.update web browser and use chrome
2.clear cookies and cache
3. Don’t use any vpn
4. remove all pop up blockers
5. set anti viruses to standard not some crazy restrictive setting
6. MAKE SURE you are logged out off ALL other online shopping portals (most important)

i promise if I went to your house 90% of people are going to be logged into another shopping portal or have a pop up blocker active. That’s why it can’t fully track. The same people who swear they are not are going to be logged into some other shopping portal.
Imarmed likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lunchtime
I promise everyone is over thinking these miles posting and making it way harder than it needs to be

1.update web browser and use chrome
2.clear cookies and cache
3. Don’t use any vpn
4. remove all pop up blockers
5. set anti viruses to standard not some crazy restrictive setting
6. MAKE SURE you are logged out off ALL other online shopping portals (most important)

i promise if I went to your house 90% of people are going to be logged into another shopping portal or have a pop up blocker active. That’s why it can’t fully track. The same people who swear they are not are going to be logged into some other shopping portal.
Tracking is one issue. A few of us have had other issues that the above don't have anything to do with - My orders were getting canceled at the vendor side, but properly tracking and posting. Go figure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.