Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2022, 8:39 am

Programs: AA, Cap1
Originally Posted by AirricK11
I've been having a hell of a time with GC.com. I have tried 3 different credit cards using both my name and my wife's name and can't get a single card order to go through for a Visa GC. Have never had this issue up until now and only have about $2,500 total spend on gc.com over the last 3 months. Has anyone been able to get around the cancelled orders somehow?
Did you get this resolved? I was having this problem. It caused me to miss a recent bonus miles offer by like $30 😤

I still don’t have it down to a science but I eventually got one transaction to process at $30. The next day I got $100 to process. Unfortunately I got impatient and tried $120 that same day, which was cancelled. A month later, $250 and $80 were cancelled, but $70 processed.

The advice I got on this site was to try a small transaction. Then a larger one the next day. Larger the next. Only one per day.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Superguy
Is there a link to the Motley Fool bonus?
The link to motley fool is on the portal, along with all the other ones. You can view a list of all stores.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by beam88
Did you get this resolved? I was having this problem. It caused me to miss a recent bonus miles offer by like $30 😤

I still don’t have it down to a science but I eventually got one transaction to process at $30. The next day I got $100 to process. Unfortunately I got impatient and tried $120 that same day, which was cancelled. A month later, $250 and $80 were cancelled, but $70 processed.

The advice I got on this site was to try a small transaction. Then a larger one the next day. Larger the next. Only one per day.
Nope. I have been trying all sorts of different methods the last few days and every single order has been cancelled for the same reason: not passing the security check. The miles are still posting to my account though so I assume I'll have a bunch of clawbacks soon. I have not yet tried ordering a smaller gift card though. Maybe I'll try that today.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Illinwu
Could you please let me know where to change the “auto renew setting”? Thank you in advance!
I just emailed them through customer support asking not to auto renew. I got a return email in about 12 hours on a Sunday saying auto renew was turned off.
mwood19004 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by bgasser
I just emailed them through customer support asking not to auto renew. I got a return email in about 12 hours on a Sunday saying auto renew was turned off.
I see. Thank you!
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
There is no way to stop the garbage emails other than closing your account.
Of course you can filter them and send them straight to spam where they belong.
A simple filter rule in outlook, and you are good.

(I just signed up today for $79, and almost immediately received a confirmation email from AA Shopping stating that is is being tracked)
Hopefully there will be no issue with getting the points.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:49 pm

Does anybody think I could do one $2000 gift card per month? I want to use them to pay my estimated income taxes and I don't relish keeping track of 8 $250 cards per month. I realize we don't know the algorithm, but any experience?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pentiumii
Does anybody think I could do one $2000 gift card per month? I want to use them to pay my estimated income taxes and I don't relish keeping track of 8 $250 cards per month. I realize we don't know the algorithm, but any experience?
They don't sell $2000 gift cards, so no.

Max on the prepaid debit cards is $250, or $500 on the physical business ones.
Venezuela-Miami and Antarius like this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
For estimated tax the fed’s vendors charge a reduced fee for debit cards but are limited to 2 transactions per quarter (seems to be IRS payment periods than actual calendar quarters).
Old Jul 20, 2022, 2:13 pm

Awesome, thank you so much for the reply. I failed to catch that limit. I did a 250 today and it was a very easy and smooth transaction.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA PP; Bonvoy SE
Originally Posted by bakrgby
the language doesnt have any restriction on only one and those in the FB group reported it crediting multiple times if bought multiple times
If there's a FB group other than AA Adv Members then I'd love to be in, something more advanced on earning options perhaps including runs and portal bonuses. Some of these change day to day and I don't check often enough.
mwood19004 likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by anabolism
Strange that the AA miles would show up before the shopping portal status changes to "Confirmed." I have a slew of giftcards.com orders that show as "Pending" but the orders were auto-cancelled immediately after being placed (I have two emails that came within seconds of each other, one for "Your giftcards.com order xxx has been created!" and immediately "Your giftcards.com order has been cancelled."). I see the miles and LPs for those on my AA account. I assume they'll get clawed back at some point.
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Please report back on that last part.
It took a few months, but I see the miles being subtracted both on the e-shopping account page and my AA account activity. However, I only see miles being subtracted, not LPs.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:31 am

Programs: American EP
Originally Posted by AirricK11
Nope. I have been trying all sorts of different methods the last few days and every single order has been cancelled for the same reason: not passing the security check. The miles are still posting to my account though so I assume I'll have a bunch of clawbacks soon. I have not yet tried ordering a smaller gift card though. Maybe I'll try that today.
I found using Chrome and clearing cookies between each transaction which of course then requires that I log back in to my shopping portal it is going through each time. I have done 3 separate transactions for $250 virtual MasterCards at the same sitting has worked. This was the advice I got from giftcards.com
Old Jul 21, 2022, 11:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP, DL PM, AS 100k (fake), B6 M3 (fake), BA Gold (fake), UA FO.
With respect to Marriott, does anyone have a sense for which rates, specifically, are excluded? The language I'm concerned about is "Rooms offered at specially negotiated rates for Marriott Bonvoy™ members (e.g. Marriott Bonvoy™ offer discount, Marriott Bonvoy™ offer package), with the exception of Marriott Bonvoy™ Member rates are not eligible." What does that mean? Are the new biz credit cardholder rates ineligible? Rates offered to those with elite status? Very frustrating that this isn't more predictable/reliable..
Old Jul 21, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by LowValueCustomer
With respect to Marriott, does anyone have a sense for which rates, specifically, are excluded? The language I'm concerned about is "Rooms offered at specially negotiated rates for Marriott Bonvoy™ members (e.g. Marriott Bonvoy™ offer discount, Marriott Bonvoy™ offer package), with the exception of Marriott Bonvoy™ Member rates are not eligible." What does that mean? Are the new biz credit cardholder rates ineligible? Rates offered to those with elite status? Very frustrating that this isn't more predictable/reliable..
For Marriott specifically, click on the rate details - it should either say "Commissionable Rate" or "Non-commissionable rate". This should (in theory) determine whether Cartera gets paid, which should track to whether you earn points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.