Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2022, 6:23 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
But still what?

The fee free Visa was possibly an oversight. It did not last long. Giftcardmall actually discontinued the product (so giftcards.com can't sell it).

Nothing lasts forever. And the better deals last less time than the average ones.
But still ... I would rather not pay an extra $5.95. I'm confused.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
But still what?
Originally Posted by no1cub17
The man is telling you he wants 200k RDMs/LPs and EXP status completely for free, and make a profit, if possible.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by nk15
The man is telling you he wants 200k RDMs/LPs and EXP status completely for free, and make a profit, if possible.
Don't we all!

Back to the original question, no there do not seem to be any fee-free options right now. But with the 3x miles promo still surviving, $5.95 for 768 RDMs/LPs is still a pretty good deal by any measure. And if you can find a use for the GC on something you couldn't otherwise charge to your credit card, the ~$5+ you earn in CC rewards negates the $5.95 fee.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
You can also buy the various store gift cards with no fee, and also likely earn the 1% discount, but then you cannot double dip with those and you have to use them with the specific merchants..
Old Jul 8, 2022, 8:45 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Use a good cash back credit card to pay and you'll still end up ahead.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:07 pm

I mean ..definitely possible ...Just hit mine for this year ...
Old Jul 8, 2022, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can also buy the various store gift cards with no fee, and also likely earn the 1% discount, but then you cannot double dip with those and you have to use them with the specific merchants..
You can double dip with those, if the merchant is on the portal and they award miles for purchases made with gift cards (most do).

Buy gift cards, get miles. Drain gift cards through the portal, get miles. I've done this with a few merchants
roadtriper likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by no1cub17
I'd also rather get everything that I buy for free but that's not how real life works.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
Has anyone used the generic GC's to buy AA GC's?

It's a shame that the shopping portal doesn't sell AA GC's.
Ironically they sell them for another airline.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 9:15 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
For the ones maxing out the $2,000 spend per month at GC.com, are you adjusting the amount of the last gift card, or are you buying 8 x $250 per month?
Since the $5.95 cc fee is included in the LP earning, buying 8 $250 visa cards would mean a total of 2048 LPs ( 8 x $256), which is over the limit.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
For the ones maxing out the $2,000 spend per month at GC.com, are you adjusting the amount of the last gift card, or are you buying 8 x $250 per month?
Since the $5.95 cc fee is included in the LP earning, buying 8 $250 visa cards would mean a total of 2048 LPs ( 8 x $256), which is over the limit.
The fees don't count against the limit.
Antarius, nk15 and WindowSeatFlyer like this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
What is surprising, or unexpected, about this? That's what "Manufactured Spending" is. I earned about $100,000 over a 3-4 year period doing MS. Unfortunately, all the low-hanging fruit in this process is gone.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
This is FT after all! At least I'm not begging for unlimited C and U space...
Old Jul 9, 2022, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Motley Fool Check-In

I haven't seen anyone post about Motley Fool in a while. It has been at 7,400 miles per months (though it hit 7,500 for one day a while ago). Did anyone try to double dip with eShopping and Citi Merchant Offers or Simply Miles? I have a $20 back on Citi Merchant Offers and was thinking about pulling the trigger.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 7:03 pm

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA PPro (OWE), Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
Originally Posted by TropicalTripper
I haven't seen anyone post about Motley Fool in a while. It has been at 7,400 miles per months (though it hit 7,500 for one day a while ago). Did anyone try to double dip with eShopping and Citi Merchant Offers or Simply Miles? I have a $20 back on Citi Merchant Offers and was thinking about pulling the trigger.
Got $50 with Citi last month plus the LPs
TropicalTripper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.