Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2023, 9:46 pm

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
Originally Posted by njvandy
The other problem even with reputable vendors is prices are often 2-3x higher when booking through Viator. Going directly to the tour provider or even using With Locals or AirBnB experiences is so much cheaper.

Viator claims to match lower prices but I've been down that road and they don't honor the commitment, most recently claiming that the exact same tour offered directly through the provider's website is "materially different" - because it had a different (and more generous!) cancellation policy.

I am really tempted by these huge LP multipliers but not enough to pay double or triple.
For the three future activities that I have booked:
- Activity 1 and 2: about $5 more expensive (about 3-5% more expensive if looking at percentages instead) each through Viator than directly from the tour operator. Probably exchange rate related.
- Activity 3: about $60 cheaper (33% cheaper) through Viator. I’ll need to verify that the tour booked through Viator is the same as what’s listed on the tour operator website. The tour operator name is in the Viator listing and the Viator tour details are an exact match to the tour listed on the vendor website, but it’s surprising it’d be so much cheaper through Viator.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by Bixbee
Anyone successfully done the Verizon Business 10,900 (max 3 lines) thing?
I tried using an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S3 and Verizon said the phone wasn't compatible.

Trying to figure out the cheapest phone to get to burn through this bonus. (I'm at the 30% bonus kicker you get at 100k LPs so this is pretty worthwhile it seems)
Did anyone do this. The T&Cs are as follows from AADVANTAGE Shopping. " Mileage terms.Please note these terms & conditions: Rewards not eligible on: Purchases made with a gift card, Gift cards, Gift certificates, Cash equivalents and Purchases made with coupon or discount codes not found on this site. Limits: Only eligible on 3 lines per loyalty account. Special terms: Only eligible for new Verizon customers ordering Verizon Business phone and internet plans. Eligible for rewards after Verizon has confirmed your order payment has been processed. Service must be activated for at least forty five (45) days."

Does that mean that if you activate 3 lines you would get 10,900 miles x 3? This interesting thing is the business line proce goes DOWN per phone, so if you bring 3 phones to new account, it is $45/month and activated for 45 days is ~$68 x 3 = $204 for 32,700 AA loyalty points.

Does anyone have experience with this? Or is it 10,900 TOTAL. The T&Cs above is not clear. Also if I do one phone to start and then 2 more later, would the OFFER still apply???

I have 3 old phones that are campatible with Verizon network that I could leverage and therefore SUPER interested in this approach.

Thanks!!
tilhas likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by kimbray
Did anyone do this. The T&Cs are as follows from AADVANTAGE Shopping. " Mileage terms.Please note these terms & conditions: Rewards not eligible on: Purchases made with a gift card, Gift cards, Gift certificates, Cash equivalents and Purchases made with coupon or discount codes not found on this site. Limits: Only eligible on 3 lines per loyalty account. Special terms: Only eligible for new Verizon customers ordering Verizon Business phone and internet plans. Eligible for rewards after Verizon has confirmed your order payment has been processed. Service must be activated for at least forty five (45) days."

Does that mean that if you activate 3 lines you would get 10,900 miles x 3? This interesting thing is the business line proce goes DOWN per phone, so if you bring 3 phones to new account, it is $45/month and activated for 45 days is ~$68 x 3 = $204 for 32,700 AA loyalty points.

Does anyone have experience with this? Or is it 10,900 TOTAL. The T&Cs above is not clear. Also if I do one phone to start and then 2 more later, would the OFFER still apply???

I have 3 old phones that are campatible with Verizon network that I could leverage and therefore SUPER interested in this approach.

Thanks!!
I just bought 3 old phones to try this out. Will circle back with results. Fairly certain it is 10.9k per line
tilhas and ZenFlyer like this.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 2:03 pm

AA Shopping Mall, Booking.com Miles.

I used AA Shopping portal to go to booking.com (4 miles/$) to book a few stays in April. I know from before miles take about 8 weeks after the stay is finished to post. And all three stays showed up in first week on June of AA shopping account, That was June 8th. However these miles have not showed up on actual AA account. Does it take longer to show or should I contact someone.

Thanks!
Old Jun 17, 2023, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ziqch
I used AA Shopping portal to go to booking.com (4 miles/$) to book a few stays in April. I know from before miles take about 8 weeks after the stay is finished to post. And all three stays showed up in first week on June of AA shopping account, That was June 8th. However these miles have not showed up on actual AA account. Does it take longer to show or should I contact someone.

Thanks!
They probably posted with the date you clicked through the portal and booked the rooms and not check-in/out dates or when they showed up in AAShopping. I'd look back through your history on AA and see if you see them there.
ZenFlyer likes this.

Last edited by Drwaz99; Jun 17, 2023 at 3:33 pm Reason: grammar
Old Jun 17, 2023, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Drwaz99
They probably posted with the date you clicked through the portal and booked the rooms and not check-in/out dates or when they showed up in AAShopping. I'd look back through your history on AA and see if you see them there.
You were absolutely right. Went back to the date when I checked through and it is there.

Thanks!
ZenFlyer and Drwaz99 like this.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Bixbee
I just bought 3 old phones to try this out. Will circle back with results. Fairly certain it is 10.9k per line
OK, I think I am going to be doing same. I beleive you have to fill out some paperwork as well with Verizon around the business/etc. But willing to do, for this massive amount of LPs. Please share the entire process here so we can all learn...THANK YOU!
Old Jun 18, 2023, 5:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Do we have to have 3 separate phones? Can I just use the phone I'm currently using (unlocked)? Might be interested in trying this myself but I've never tried signing up with Verizon Business.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 10:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage PPro
Another Verizon question

I’ve been thinking about switching my family over to Verizon. It would be three new lines, but we all have devices. Do I have to buy devices to get the LPs?
Old Jun 18, 2023, 12:27 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Didn't sexykitten7 try this with Verizon and had to fight and send legal threats to get it to credit as a settlement?
Old Jun 19, 2023, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by AirborneLocksmith
For the three future activities that I have booked:
- Activity 1 and 2: about $5 more expensive (about 3-5% more expensive if looking at percentages instead) each through Viator than directly from the tour operator. Probably exchange rate related.
- Activity 3: about $60 cheaper (33% cheaper) through Viator. I’ll need to verify that the tour booked through Viator is the same as what’s listed on the tour operator website. The tour operator name is in the Viator listing and the Viator tour details are an exact match to the tour listed on the vendor website, but it’s surprising it’d be so much cheaper through Viator.
I have booked dozens of tours and activities with Viator and I have never had a problem with any of them. I always compare the price to booking "direct" and when it is possible to find a direct booking option, I have found Viator to be the same price, cheaper, or marginally more but not grossly overpriced. Viator has been a major component of my LP quest. My only problem is that the orders do not always track properly, even when I am extremely diligent to make sure the offer is active, and it takes forever for AA Shopping to deal with Viator and to get a resolution. I have one dispute pending now worth over 3k miles...so if it does not track, I would cancel it and book it again until it tracks.
Marykatesmom likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by tommybananas
I have booked dozens of tours and activities with Viator and I have never had a problem with any of them. I always compare the price to booking "direct" and when it is possible to find a direct booking option, I have found Viator to be the same price, cheaper, or marginally more but not grossly overpriced. Viator has been a major component of my LP quest. My only problem is that the orders do not always track properly, even when I am extremely diligent to make sure the offer is active, and it takes forever for AA Shopping to deal with Viator and to get a resolution. I have one dispute pending now worth over 3k miles...so if it does not track, I would cancel it and book it again until it tracks.
Viator only credits after the tours are complete but you have to follow through. I’ve never had one credit automatically, I’ve always had to submit an inquiry. PIA.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Marykatesmom
Viator only credits after the tours are complete but you have to follow through. I’ve never had one credit automatically, I’ve always had to submit an inquiry. PIA.
Which is different from my experience. I've had 3 Viator tours this year and all credited exactly 7 days after I took the tour.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 7:51 pm

I see the Motley Fool is back to 6,500 miles. Is there any any issues doing that in a new calendar year again? I think i signed up in like August 2022 the last time. I find myself needing some miles and $95 for 6500 is still a really good deal.

Do i need to wait the full 12 months or is the next calendar year good enough for motley fool?

Last edited by lunchtime; Jun 19, 2023 at 8:48 pm
Old Jun 19, 2023, 8:35 pm

Has anyone had an issue with order activity not flowing over to your account on the eshopping site after visiting a store through it and completing a transaction (and not closing out that tab/window)?

I made 2 transactions last week which immediately showed I visited each store and had an order #, date, and amount added to the visit history. My recent transactions on Uniqlo and Coach don't appear to have done the same. I'm assuming that some retailers just report order numbers at different speeds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.