Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2023, 8:07 am

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
Up to 6 miles/$ at Apple today.
SFflyer20 and Illinwu like this.
Old May 23, 2023, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Soccerjoshj07
it should be fine. But I never have luck with blue apron tracking automatically for me, be prepared to message the portal and fight for it.
I signed up today (5/23) and my first delivery will be June 2. I'm not really into blue apron but for the 5000 AA points. Will I able to get the 5000 points if I continue skip the rest of deliveries until 45 days after sign up and then cancel it?
Zeeb, BWISkyGuy and mwood19004 like this.
Old May 26, 2023, 4:21 pm

Pointed deducted from portal

I shop online at Sams Club regularly through the shopping portal. Today I noticed that 6 different orders I place in March were deducted from my account. I paid for and received these orders back in March. I have no idea why they were deducted from my a account a few days ago.

I did send in an inquiry to AA asking about the deductions. I'm curious if anyone else has ever had this happen?
Old May 26, 2023, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; UA GOLD 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; HYATT EXPLORIST; MARRIOTT/IHGGOLD
Same just happened to me on a paid and fulfilled Wine Insiders transaction. Points posted correctly the day after the order, now a month later they show deducted with no explanation. I contacted customer service but havent heard anything back yet.
Old May 26, 2023, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by ffdom
Same just happened to me on a paid and fulfilled Wine Insiders transaction. Points posted correctly the day after the order, now a month later they show deducted with no explanation. I contacted customer service but havent heard anything back yet.
It's so strange It's happened to someone else too. I wonder how long it will take AA to respond.
Old May 26, 2023, 6:56 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Was it the entire transaction deducted or just partial ? I just bought a pair of sneakers in the shopping portal and it says AA is tracking a $100 purchase but I took a discount and ended up spending $81. Now I’m wondering will I only get points on the $81 or none at all ?
Old May 26, 2023, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by D3Kingg
Was it the entire transaction deducted or just partial ? I just bought a pair of sneakers in the shopping portal and it says AA is tracking a $100 purchase but I took a discount and ended up spending $81. Now I’m wondering will I only get points on the $81 or none at all ?
If the coupon was on the portal page you should receive points for an $81 transaction.
D3Kingg likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
75% of my award points through eshopping always get deducted. Cartera is far from my favorite!
Old May 26, 2023, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; UA GOLD 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; HYATT EXPLORIST; MARRIOTT/IHGGOLD
I always make sure to only use coupons on the AA shopping portal even if it costs me a few bucks to forego using an external coupon, as I'm only buying usually because of the LP.

AA shopping and AA simplymiles are so infuriating. I usually manage to get everything to post eventually but boy is it a lot of time wasted tracking everything and then requesting credit. Even though I try to buy on a laptop and make sure I'm logged into AA shopping it still seems to miss up to half of all transaction.

AA Simplymiles is almost worthless given that there are mainly dozens of completely obscure stores giving very little LP to be completely not worth it. The only exceptions I have found to be a decent return are the Parachute.com offers (spend $300) and occasionally wine.com, hilfiger.com, not much else though.
Antarius likes this.
Old May 27, 2023, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
When submitting a request for credit for a transaction that didn't post, how long does it usually take to receive a response?
Old May 27, 2023, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Pinned
When submitting a request for credit for a transaction that didn't post, how long does it usually take to receive a response?
I've received a response within 6 to 24 hours. Weekends included but, with the holiday weekend, YMMV.
Old May 28, 2023, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA*P / Nexus / Marriot*G/ Hertz Gold/HH*G
Is it worth it?

so far I only used for
FIRSTLEAF USD 40 and got 2800 miles
BLUE APRON USD 26 and got 5000 miles
THE MOTLEY FOOL spent USD 99 but got USD 50 credited by AMEX and getting 5600 miles

not sure if it is worth it, but what I believe you can get way more miles by doing hotel booking via the AA site - obviously playing the cards right because sometimes is better to book with the hotel directly. I have a reservation with Marriott next month, and in one weekend I'm getting 16,000 miles
355F1 and spiritkat09 like this.
Old May 28, 2023, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA*P / Nexus / Marriot*G/ Hertz Gold/HH*G
you should skip the following deliveries, then when you have complied with the time (45 days?), you can then cancel
Old May 29, 2023, 7:34 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Macy's terms & conditions (as of May 29, 2023)

Macy's is currently 5X on the AA portal -- not the best ever but not bad. I spent some time this morning wrestling with their website and am hoping that the purchase I made tracks easily through portal. In doing so, I noticed a quite long list of product and brand exclusions, in addition to a note about posting times. As I recall seeing some complaints about Macy's here in the past, fwiw I thought I'd post a screenshot for future reference, as the 'fine print' is sometimes hard to spot in the moment. In particular, it says that purchases made through the Macy's app don't count for AA points -- I don't think I've seen an app-based exclusion for vendors in the past, but perhaps I haven't been paying close enough attention or maybe the portal doesn't take you to an app anyway.

Old May 29, 2023, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by nk15
Blue Apron is back at 5000, unfortunately I went for it earlier...
If you get a bonus in the past. Can you apply for it again in the future?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.