Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2022, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone managed to set up a GC on Verizon? It keeps kicking back saying that my card is invalid.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
I've been having a hell of a time with GC.com. I have tried 3 different credit cards using both my name and my wife's name and can't get a single card order to go through for a Visa GC. Have never had this issue up until now and only have about $2,500 total spend on gc.com over the last 3 months. Has anyone been able to get around the cancelled orders somehow?
Old Jul 11, 2022, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirricK11
I've been having a hell of a time with GC.com. I have tried 3 different credit cards using both my name and my wife's name and can't get a single card order to go through for a Visa GC. Have never had this issue up until now and only have about $2,500 total spend on gc.com over the last 3 months. Has anyone been able to get around the cancelled orders somehow?
From what I remember the cancellation email is slightly different if your CC declines the transaction vs if gc.com cancels it for whatever reason.

I would suspect that it's gc.com saying no. I have no idea what their criteria are but it's only happened to me once or twice.

Edit: looking at my past emails, if your CC declines it, the email starts with:

Your Giftcards.com order # has been cancelled.

Unfortunately, your payment has been declined by your debit or credit card company.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Are your orders going through and being cancelled, or being declined before they proceed? Sometimes if orders go through and are then cancelled, you will get LP's for them anyway.

You might try setting up multiple accounts with gc.com or ordering without signing into an account.

I don't know if I've posted this or not before, but here is my suspicion about what's really going on. (This is based on my experience working in the risk management for insurance team of a major software provider, in which we worked alongside the risk managment for banking team.)

GC.com probably purchases risk management software that flag suspicious transactions. GC.com doesn't know what causes the flags. The software provider might not even know, because it's basically machine-learning driven. When you ask them what the problem is, they will give you nonsense answers like try a different card, try a different browser, clear your cookies, none of which come anywhere close to the real problem.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, AS
None of my shopping activity has posted since mid-May. I use Google Chrome and have the eShopping button installed (and also click through the website for good measure). After I place an order, the window pops up saying “you’ve earned x number of miles”… however, I don’t get the corresponding “your order has been tracked” emails.

I sent an inquiry to CS today, but has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas of what’s happening and/or what I’m doing wrong?
Old Jul 11, 2022, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
Has anyone managed to set up a GC on Verizon? It keeps kicking back saying that my card is invalid.
update: The autopay would not take it, however a one time payment processed through the single pay link.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kawliga
None of my shopping activity has posted since mid-May. I use Google Chrome and have the eShopping button installed (and also click through the website for good measure). After I place an order, the window pops up saying “you’ve earned x number of miles”… however, I don’t get the corresponding “your order has been tracked” emails.

I sent an inquiry to CS today, but has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas of what’s happening and/or what I’m doing wrong?
In the transactions list, do you see them showing up under the recent sites visited with dollar amounts?
Old Jul 11, 2022, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I thought it was worth reporting that since I disabled my ad/popup blocker, and have the "button" installed and always click on it, I've had no difficulty getting credit for GC purchases. I've been buying one about every three days, so that means more than $2K a month, and am getting credit for all of them.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
From what I remember the cancellation email is slightly different if your CC declines the transaction vs if gc.com cancels it for whatever reason.

I would suspect that it's gc.com saying no. I have no idea what their criteria are but it's only happened to me once or twice.

Edit: looking at my past emails, if your CC declines it, the email starts with:

Your Giftcards.com order # has been cancelled.

Unfortunately, your payment has been declined by your debit or credit card company.
I'm getting this message: "Your Giftcards.com order has been cancelled. Your order was not approved by our security screening process, as a result, your order will not be shipped. No funds will be collected from the credit or debit card used for this order*."

Originally Posted by redtop43
Are your orders going through and being cancelled, or being declined before they proceed? Sometimes if orders go through and are then cancelled, you will get LP's for them anyway.

You might try setting up multiple accounts with gc.com or ordering without signing into an account.

I don't know if I've posted this or not before, but here is my suspicion about what's really going on. (This is based on my experience working in the risk management for insurance team of a major software provider, in which we worked alongside the risk managment for banking team.)

GC.com probably purchases risk management software that flag suspicious transactions. GC.com doesn't know what causes the flags. The software provider might not even know, because it's basically machine-learning driven. When you ask them what the problem is, they will give you nonsense answers like try a different card, try a different browser, clear your cookies, none of which come anywhere close to the real problem.
Orders are going through and then being cancelled immediately after. As far as accounts, I tried all of that. Tried being logged in, tried being logged out, tried being logged in to my wife's account and each order was instantly cancelled. Wondering if its tied to my home address?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm getting this message: "Your Giftcards.com order has been cancelled. Your order was not approved by our security screening process, as a result, your order will not be shipped. No funds will be collected from the credit or debit card used for this order*."

Orders are going through and then being cancelled immediately after. As far as accounts, I tried all of that. Tried being logged in, tried being logged out, tried being logged in to my wife's account and each order was instantly cancelled. Wondering if its tied to my home address?
So, pretty clearly, something is triggering their internal fraud detection. Trying to figure out what is going to be tough.

I would just call them and be completely honest. You are not doing anything that they don't want you to do. They have a phone number listed on their website.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
What's the dollar value of gift cards I should buy in a single transaction that will get processed without having to submit a support ticket? 2 cards @ $250 each? 3 cards @ $250 each?
Old Jul 12, 2022, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edsh
What's the dollar value of gift cards I should buy in a single transaction that will get processed without having to submit a support ticket? 2 cards @ $250 each? 3 cards @ $250 each?
I'm a big fan of 1 at a time.
Mr. BoH, nk15 and WindowSeatFlyer like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, AS
Originally Posted by Antarius
In the transactions list, do you see them showing up under the recent sites visited with dollar amounts?
Nope, just the bonuses are there. And all of the stores I had shopped at prior to May 16, too.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 11:23 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
I'm a big fan of 1 at a time.
I've done one per day this past week. Has worked fine for the 6 GCs this month, and easy to track since each date is unique.
edsh likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 1:00 pm

So, pretty clearly, something is triggering their internal fraud detection. Trying to figure out what is going to be tough.

I would just call them and be completely honest. You are not doing anything that they don't want you to do. They have a phone number listed on their website.
Any idea how to actually get through to a person without having to input a 16 digit GC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.