Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2022, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Thank you, I'm in the same exact boat of having an order that didn't track and then after 15 days eShopping customer service entered it as "ASM CUSTOMER SERVICE BONUS", and then them trying to fob me off onto AAdvantage to deal with it. I'm going to send these instructions back to eShopping customer support, this should hopefully save me (and anyone else experiencing this) from having to spend a bunch of time going back and forth about this ourselves.
Just coming back to say that telling eShopping that AAdvantage said to switch the miles from bonus to base did the trick.
vasantn and sexykitten7 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Has anyone ever done a flower subscription through the portal? I’m wondering if you get miles for every order, or just the first?
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:34 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by lbbzman
Thanks. Good to know. I recently ordered three $250 gift cards in one transaction but still have not seen the miles or LPs post. It's tracked in Recent Store Visits and shows the correct amount, but hasn't moved to Recent Transactions yet. It's been 14 days, so it sounds like I'll likely be contacting support soon and requesting proper posting of miles and LPs. I guess this is a lesson learned for next time.
Happened to me as well. Support told me a few days ago the miles are still pending and the issue was sent to another department.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Just coming back to say that telling eShopping that AAdvantage said to switch the miles from bonus to base did the trick.
Glad it worked out and the turnaround seemed a lot faster so I guess they've got better at this process request. I hope they do the right thing and actually fix the bonus to base proactively instead of making us reach out.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AA Lifetime Gold 1.6 MM, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold Elite, Choice Diamond
Anyone else getting this error message...
"We're sorry, but we are unable to complete your request at this time.",,,
when trying to make a purchase through the AA shopping portal from giftcards.com?
​​​​​​​I have tried to use both my Aviator AA and Citi AA cards this morning and keep getting this message. I purchased 8 Visa virtual gift cards last month (in March) without any issues.
nk15 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Yes, nothing works, tried multiple cards...It's a mess...
Mbethy likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Mbethy
Anyone else getting this error message...
"We're sorry, but we are unable to complete your request at this time.",,,
when trying to make a purchase through the AA shopping portal from giftcards.com?
I have tried to use both my Aviator AA and Citi AA cards this morning and keep getting this message. I purchased 8 Visa virtual gift cards last month (in March) without any issues.
I got only 1 purchase to go through of 10+ attempts
Mbethy likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfer20
I got only 1 purchase to go through of 10+ attempts
I got 3 out of 30+…
Mbethy likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AA Lifetime Gold 1.6 MM, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold Elite, Choice Diamond
Originally Posted by nk15
Yes, nothing works, tried multiple cards...It's a mess...
I just sent a message to giftcards.com through the web site Contact Us page. I hope others will do the same.

I really want to get their web site glitch fixed. I love getting LPs this way.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I've been in the same situation. You will probably get a canned reply saying that they use a multi-layered security system yada yada yada. I think you are as likely to get a constructive and actionable response as you are to get a reply if you write to Santa Claus.

My personal experience this month...

First day I tried to buy, I tried to buy 7, then 2 cards, both rejected. Then I tried buying one at a time and some of the orders were cancelled after being submitted, others gave me an error. I eventually was able to buy 3 that day.
Next day I tried again, and the original card was repeatedly rejected. Had a different card accepted.
Next day I tried again, used the same card as on day 2 and one other card,both accepted.
Next day, went back to original card, rejected.
Next day, tried original card, accepted.

I think the bottom line is that you have to space out your purchases, and may not be able to buy multiple cards at a time.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 1:48 pm

Has anyone had a successful giftcards.com transaction since April 1st?
I am still getting this error message. See screenshot below.

During the months of Feb and March, I was successful using Chrome on the same laptop and bought one $250 gift card at a time while waiting a few days between orders. I did the exact same thing this month and the error message pops up each time.

Error message from giftcards.com
Old Apr 3, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Have made several non-GC purchases in the last month. None have tracked, and I have gotten no miles for my purchases. Maybe something is up with their system in general?
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:16 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Just an update: Had to file a second ticket for the mis-posted 12,400 points from the Verizon deal x2. Now they say they've reposted as LP/base instead of bonus, wait 10 days. We shall see.

Every other purchase has tracked or posted as appropriate.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

During the months of Feb and March, I was successful using Chrome on the same laptop and bought one $250 gift card at a time while waiting a few days between orders. I did the exact same thing this month and the error message pops up each time.

I got 3 purchases on the first day of the month and 4 purchases on the second, but it took the whole day trying randomly every now and then (200-300 tries?), getting in and out of the site, using different credit cards cards, refreshing, adding and removing giftcards, the works...

All tracked properly and most appear miles pending already, so fingers crossed....

EDIT: What seems to work better is close the site, re-enter from the portal, and go to the cart and it often works. I finished my purchases today.
Mbethy likes this.

Last edited by nk15; Apr 3, 2022 at 4:19 pm
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:27 pm

Figured out the trick - Hit the purple "Giftcards.com" logo, then click on your cart and repeat the purchase process. Goes through every time for me.
Mbethy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.