Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2022, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA, AI-FR, ClubVistara, KrisFlyer, EK, InterMiles
Originally Posted by Antarius
I recently got several Mastercards as part of the sale and am not able to make them work with Paypal. They authenticate fine on Paypal, but the processing fails saying invalid code. Never had this issue using Visa egift cards.

Anyone have any experience or thoughts?
I'm having the same issues! I also have some other CCs saved to my Paypal wallet and no matter where I try to pay via the MasterCard, Paypal automatically picks the other CCs even though the MC GiftCard is saved as the default card. It's very frustrating to say the least since I didn't have any other use case for the gift card.
Antarius likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by LeastP
How much did you buy to hit that limit?
Not that much, only about $1200. Looking back in my purchase history, I have had days where I have bought more than that, which suggests this may be a new limit. Unclear whether the limit is based on calendar day or rolling 24 hours (if the latter, my amount may have been higher, probably around $2k).
LeastP likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by njvandy
Does anyone have data points on LG.com or Dell.com multipliers? Dell is currently 4x and LG is 3x. I need to make a relatively large purchase in the next few weeks and would be happy to wait if either of them typically go higher. Thanks
Rakuten is at 15% for Dell right now as FYI.
GVR Bill likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 2:35 pm

For booking.com are apartments booked eligible or just hotels? How long does it take to post - after you pay, or after you have the stay?
Old Nov 24, 2022, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by jkenn
For booking.com are apartments booked eligible or just hotels? How long does it take to post - after you pay, or after you have the stay?
Apartements eligible. And points should post 60 days after your stay. Chase after Catera for the points on 60th day as well. Booking can take their time even after 60 days.
jkenn likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 10:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat, AA Gold
LP points multipliers for Black Friday?

Apologies if this has been answered already - I was confused by the initial LP announcement and recently realized the bonus points on shopping portal count for LP

plenty of big department stores have nice point multipliers on the site - with fine print that LP bonus pts excludes sale merchandise
  • are there recent datapoint / DP re: still getting the multiplier for on-sale items?
my personal history is mixed as I never tracked shopping bonuses closely before LP - but now it matters for status

Point being - it's black friday and most transactions are eligible for some sale or discount. Focused on Saks / Neiman since they have pretty high LP right now (>5x)
Old Nov 25, 2022, 6:21 am

Which store? I've never heard of that happening and don't see that fine print. You can denied for using a coupon not offered on the portal though, not always enforced.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 7:34 am

I’m getting frustrated with a vendor here. I bought a mattress from Nectar that should have been at 6x, so almost 7k points. 15 days passed with nothing so I disputed. Now Nectar comes back and says they gave the commission to someone else. I followed up and said that’s impossible.

Their proof? They got the commission themselves because I used the default offer code “sleepbundle” that auto-populates. That’s their business model, but a mattress and get pillows/sheets free. It also happens to cheat Cartera/the end customer out of their rewards.

Anyone have experience escalating something like this?
Old Nov 25, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by Ned13
I’m getting frustrated with a vendor here. I bought a mattress from Nectar that should have been at 6x, so almost 7k points. 15 days passed with nothing so I disputed. Now Nectar comes back and says they gave the commission to someone else. I followed up and said that’s impossible.

Their proof? They got the commission themselves because I used the default offer code “sleepbundle” that auto-populates. That’s their business model, but a mattress and get pillows/sheets free. It also happens to cheat Cartera/the end customer out of their rewards.

Anyone have experience escalating something like this?
If you used a code not found on the AAeshopping site, you are pretty much SOL on any appeal. It is more than a little sneaky to auto-populate a code that nullifies the clickthrough, but Cartera is pretty clear that use of outside codes will put your mileage earnings at risk. If you want to stick it to Nectar, just return the mattress - most of the online mattress companies have super-generous return policies.
355F1 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The last few days, some of my purchases from giftcards.com failed to track. Some transactions track and some didn't. The ones that tracked already posted the miles to my AA account. Each transaction at $250 each (Visa cards). Never had this issue before these past few days. I understand after 15 days, I can reach out for resolution. Any luck getting resolution from Cartera and/or GC.com?
Old Nov 25, 2022, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Mine all tracked properly. Yes, you can get good and quick resolution when you open a ticket for these. However, this time around if you used the outside code it is uncertain what the outcome will be. I would also be reluctant in case any starts clawing back the mile on those that posted. But it may work.

Last edited by nk15; Nov 25, 2022 at 5:15 pm
Old Nov 25, 2022, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
If you used a code not found on the AAeshopping site, you are pretty much SOL on any appeal. It is more than a little sneaky to auto-populate a code that nullifies the clickthrough, but Cartera is pretty clear that use of outside codes will put your mileage earnings at risk. If you want to stick it to Nectar, just return the mattress - most of the online mattress companies have super-generous return policies.

The problem is that I didn’t “use” the code, they entered it without informing me. The bundle was advertised as the standard deal. Part of me is inclined to return it but that thing was damn heavy going up the stairs…they probably know that and they’re using it against me.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CM Silver, IHG Silver
The portal has now has $5 off $100+ Virtual Visa Gift Cards until the 27th (so they say)
It comes out to 5% off though, not $5.
$243.45 for a $250 Virtual Visa.
Old Nov 25, 2022, 6:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by rrgg
Which store? I've never heard of that happening and don't see that fine print. You can denied for using a coupon not offered on the portal though, not always enforced.
Saks off Fifth and regular Saks - now that you mention it - the normal sales do appear on the right column as coupon offered through portal (although the disclaimer / exclusion fine print is excessive and alarming)

Seems another user (Ned?) had an issue that was on my radar - I do not type in extra coupons but could be denied the bonus
Old Nov 26, 2022, 8:10 am

I loaded one of these Mastercards (bought last week) to my amazon account and Amazon gave me a 2-3% bump on top of the $250 for the gift card. Is this for Black Friday? Wonder if it lasts through today ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.