Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2022, 6:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by LaphroaigAndRibeye​​​​​​
"We're sorry. This code has been used too many times."

I am also getting the message about CMVISA5, but it looks like that message is for everyone and not user specific. I got the same message in an incognito window without being logged in. For user-specific data point, though, I have used that code on 3 transactions of 6x250, 2x250, and 6x250. Also did 3x250 and 5x250 with BFVISA5. But I suspect even first-time users will find the same.
I had this same problem this morning, but CMVISA5 seems to be working now.

It's actually too bad - I have probably accumulated an unhealthy amount of Visa GC's at this point...
edsh likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, AS MVP 75K
I don't know if it's me, but all the GC.com promos seem to be giving a Sorry this promo code is not active message.
Old Dec 2, 2022, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by SawBo
I don't know if it's me, but all the GC.com promos seem to be giving a Sorry this promo code is not active message.
It keeps going on and off.. There must be a lawsuit here somewhere... LOL faulty advertising. They say the promo was good till the 8th...

Last edited by kimbray; Dec 3, 2022 at 7:50 am
Old Dec 3, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Has anyone else has an issue with Cartera where if youreturn one item from an order it cancels the point earning for the entire order? I have had this happen a couple times now.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: AA, AI-FR, ClubVistara, KrisFlyer, EK, InterMiles
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Has anyone else has an issue with Cartera where if youreturn one item from an order it cancels the point earning for the entire order? I have had this happen a couple times now.
Just raise a Missing Miles inquiry with them and attach the updated invoice/ confirmation of canceled products and they should re-instate the miles rightfully earned. It's a hassle but works
Mr. BoH and Soccerjoshj07 like this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 10:43 pm

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
I had this same problem this morning, but CMVISA5 seems to be working now.

It's actually too bad - I have probably accumulated an unhealthy amount of Visa GC's at this point...
It started working for me again as well, maybe they were just rationing it by days or something.

I'm with you on the unhealthy amount of VGC, it's going to be a PITA to liquidate. I'm about to just start giving too much to charity.
edsh and Mr. BoH like this.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 10:45 pm

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
Originally Posted by majikTib
Two transactions on 11/30 tracked normal for me on GC.

I had several cancellations and a couple approvals documented above. I responded to a third party email survey and received a CSR call the same day from GC (coincidence?). I talked to Jose who verified my info and said approvals would go through afterward. Haven't had an issue since with a dozen transactions or more, all posting nearly immediately. That may be a path to consider if you get canceled.
Jose is my boy! Helped get $250 refunded when one of my gift cards glitched and their system showed it as a chargeback when there wasn't one. That's cool they were able to get you verified like that, I tried to get them to talk to me for weeks and they wouldn't. But it's for the best since it forced me to delay a lot of my spend to when we now have this lovely 5% off code on the site + the 3x miles. Aside from the annoyance of holding some GCs, it's really a sweet deal for LP accrual.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I’m sure this question has been answered before, but I could find the answer using the search feature: I need to book a Doubletree reservation. I see that booking on the Doubletree site but going through this portal gives 2 LP/$. I need the Hilton points and stay credit. Do bookings through this portal give both, or should I just book directly on Hilton.com, to be safe?
Old Dec 4, 2022, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SS255
I’m sure this question has been answered before, but I could find the answer using the search feature: I need to book a Doubletree reservation. I see that booking on the Doubletree site but going through this portal gives 2 LP/$. I need the Hilton points and stay credit. Do bookings through this portal give both, or should I just book directly on Hilton.com, to be safe?
You will be booking through Hilton by using the shopping portal. Once you click through to activate the offer, it takes you to Hilton website and you book your room like normal. Once your stay is complete, you'll get both the AA LP/miles and Hilton points/credit. Just make sure and ad/cookie blockers are turned off so the reservation tracks correctly through AAShopping.
SS255 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 6:11 pm

It started working for me again as well, maybe they were just rationing it by days or something.

I'm with you on the unhealthy amount of VGC, it's going to be a PITA to liquidate. I'm about to just start giving too much to charity.
I've started to use them for things that charge a ~3% fee for CC payments. It leaves a little money on the table but is still a big winner and I am making it up on volume.
GVR Bill likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've started to use them for things that charge a ~3% fee for CC payments. It leaves a little money on the table but is still a big winner and I am making it up on volume.
I have been converting ng Visa GCs to Costco Shop Cards.
innerspace likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 11:33 am

So the CMVISA5 not working again. I also got an email from Giftcards.com TODAY Titled "Well... That did't go as planned" where they say they had some issues over the weekend around codes not working and calls out CMVISA in email, but when you go to use it comes back with "We're sorry. This code has been used too many times." . In the email, if you click thru it takes you to a Giftcard page that has CYBERSAVE as the new code for 5% but ALAS, that does not work either..." We're sorry. This code has been used too many times."

Maybe will start working again... SO CLOSE to AA Executive Platinum...
Soccerjoshj07 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by kimbray
So the CMVISA5 not working again. I also got an email from Giftcards.com TODAY Titled "Well... That did't go as planned" where they say they had some issues over the weekend around codes not working and calls out CMVISA in email, but when you go to use it comes back with "We're sorry. This code has been used too many times." . In the email, if you click thru it takes you to a Giftcard page that has CYBERSAVE as the new code for 5% but ALAS, that does not work either..." We're sorry. This code has been used too many times."

Maybe will start working again... SO CLOSE to AA Executive Platinum...
3000 miles short for me, with an award flight tomorrow :@
Old Dec 6, 2022, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by JamesHNL
I've been using the shopping portal (Sams club and Lowe's) for the last few months and I've noticed a lot the miles have been reversed about a month later. After the purchase, miles would post about 5 days later and then a lot of them would reverse about a month later. The reversals show up in red under RECENT TRANSACTIONS on the shopping portal page. What gives?
Did you ever figure this out? I just started using this portal a month ago as I was closing in on the next status level, and I just got my first order retracted. Reported missing miles but we'll see. Going to be really upset if this issue causes me to miss qualifying.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by EzraBrooks
Did you ever figure this out? I just started using this portal a month ago as I was closing in on the next status level, and I just got my first order retracted. Reported missing miles but we'll see. Going to be really upset if this issue causes me to miss qualifying.
The good news is that it doesn't seem they claw back the LP's, only the RDM's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.