Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2016, 6:31 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
This may sound odd but look at the size using the metric measurements. You may find that it is fine that way.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Mark_T
If it is an obviously branded suitcase your main risk is that they have found it to be oversize at some point in the past so they recognise it more easily in the future...

If not then the odds are low, but if they do spot it then the cost is high so if you can return it I probably would...
It's $200 for a domestic flight, so it's not going to take getting caught too often to make this an expensive proposition. Nobody here can tell you what AA will do tomorrow or the day after.

I would return the thing and get a compliant bag.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EY Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*, Global Entry
I've checked multiple cases way over the limit. But below the cargo limit. No one has ever said anything. 2 inches will not be noticed.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 4:42 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by danohio
I've checked multiple cases way over the limit. But below the cargo limit. No one has ever said anything. 2 inches will not be noticed.
I too always check a duffel bag that is about 4" over the limit, and it's never been questioned. That said, we were all fat, dumb and happy carrying on our slightly oversized rollaboards for years before AA clamped down.

If I were in your shoes, and I am assuming you have a need for the large volume as I do, I would stick with the bag you have. If AA starts clamping down, then get a new bag. If your bag is a cheaper one, then no big deal. If it is expensive, then sell it on ebay.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 5:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sophie131
I just bought a new case and didn't check the size beforehand. It is 64 inches total and AA limit is 62.

Do you think they will check? I've never seen them get out a tape measure before but it will be my luck they start doing that I'm sure!!

A lot of the cases I'm looking at as a replacement also seem slightly too large.

Return the case or chance it?!
It's very, very rare that they bring out a measuring tape and make an issue of an extra two inches when it comes to non-boxes. If the bag is 50 lbs or under, I'd expect no problems whatsoever. If the bag is in the 23-32kg range and you're paying or waived from paying the overweight fee for 23-32kg bags, then it's still going to be ok under most all circumstances. If the bag is over 32kg, then the real chance for problems hit and snowball in regards to the size HLW dimensions also being made an issue on top of the weight issues.

A relatively frequent member of my travel party has been traveling with a bag that is c. 2 linear inches over the standard size allowance and yet the person has had no problems over the linear dimensions despite several hundred check-ins for AA flights in the past decade. And others have done so nearly as much and also had no trouble either over the LHW dimensions.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 7:42 am

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
FWIW, I experienced a problem in Melbourne with Qantas earlier this year with self check-in with a bag. They apparently have lasers that measure the bags dimensions and the bag I had was deemed over because I stood it vs. laying it down. The machine was requiring me to go to a check-in line to see a rep to pay the fee. So the technology is out there (albeit not 100% accurate as my bag was within limits). Not saying AA will invest in the technology, but if the bean counters determine it makes sense it will happen.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 7:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nyc6035
FWIW, I experienced a problem in Melbourne with Qantas earlier this year with self check-in with a bag. They apparently have lasers that measure the bags dimensions and the bag I had was deemed over because I stood it vs. laying it down. The machine was requiring me to go to a check-in line to see a rep to pay the fee. So the technology is out there (albeit not 100% accurate as my bag was within limits). Not saying AA will invest in the technology, but if the bean counters determine it makes sense it will happen.
Originally Posted by Qantas
Question

How is my baggage size and weight measured against my allowance when using Bag Drop?
Answer

The Bag Drop contains laser technology and scales which recognise bag size and weight. If these exceed your allowance you’ll be offered the choice of repacking your bag or paying for excess baggage.

If you choose to pay for the excess you’ll receive a printed coupon which you can take to a Kiosk or Sales Desk to make payment. You will be unable to board until you have completed payment with a credit card at the Kiosk, or by credit card or cash at the Sales Desk.
https://qantas.custhelp.com/app/answ...tail/a_id/6458

I hadn't heard of AA getting this, but is AA using it in Australia?
Old Oct 9, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
I just bought a new case and didn't check the size beforehand. It is 64 inches total and AA limit is 62.

Do you think they will check? I've never seen them get out a tape measure before but it will be my luck they start doing that I'm sure!!

A lot of the cases I'm looking at as a replacement also seem slightly too large.

All depends on agent, I have seen it go both ways
Old Oct 9, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold

2 inches in one dimension might be enough to be noticeable. Since you said 2 inches total, I'm guessing no one dimension is over by more than an inch, which improves your odds.

If you can't fit it "wheels in" in bins where that's supposed to work, though, then I would suggest using something else as a courtesy to your fellow passengers. Just a thought...
Old Oct 9, 2016, 10:24 am

Thanks everyone. Looks like I will be returning it - thank goodness for Costco's great returns policy.

I will start my search for a compliant bag!
Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:22 pm

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
https://qantas.custhelp.com/app/answ...tail/a_id/6458

I hadn't heard of AA getting this, but is AA using it in Australia?
I can't say. Although I took AA LAX-SYD I left Australia on HA to HNL.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 1:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I will start my search for a compliant bag!
Be sure to check out the Travel Products forum here on Flyertalk, there's some great recommendations:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/

I've found both a great carry-on bag and a backpack through recommendations there.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 12:14 am

AA & Niki Airline - Checked Luggage Forwarding?

I am flying from US to Greece on AA Award - from US to Europe I am flying AA whereas the European legs are on Niki airways. The entire reward booking is on a single ticket.

On my return trip I have to overnight in Paris - landing in CDG on Niki and flying out the next day on AA from CDG.

I can't seem to confirm this - does anyone know if Niki will forward my checked luggage to AA during my Paris stopover. In other words, can I check my luggage with Niki all the way to the US? I would much rather not lug my suitcases around during the short overnight in Paris on the return.

Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Typically luggage will not be checked through for overnight connections.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:28 pm

Ok, thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.