Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CharlieA
Does AA give first and business class passengers priority on their checked baggage like UA and Delta do or everyone is the same like Alaska?
They stick stickers on. Sometimes the bags come out sooner than others, I have also had them come out last in a little group of their own.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:32 am

FYI: American Airlines "will continue to thru-check bags on multiple PNRs with Oneworld carriers" says AA's comms chief, rather than adopting Oneworld's new "one PNR good, two PNRs bad" system.

Details: Oneworld airlines revise baggage policy for connecting flights
Old Jun 27, 2016, 4:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Silly question, one day, multiple flights. (Baggage) to merge

I am on LAX-BDL at 9:15pm, I arrive from Hong Kong late the night before.

There was a death in the family, so now I have a Delta flight LAX-SJC at 6:00am the same morning of my 9:15pm LAX-BDL flight, and return to LAX on an AA flight from SJC-LAX around 3pm, separate ticket from LAX-BDL later that evening.

I don't want to lug my international checked back LAX-SJC-LAX, would I be able to check in and check my bag to the late night AA LAX-BDL flight early in the morning when I got for my Delta flight?

Failing that, would I be able to check my bag from SJC all the way to BDL on AA even on separate tickets?
Old Jun 27, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
I am on LAX-BDL at 9:15pm, I arrive from Hong Kong late the night before.

There was a death in the family, so now I have a Delta flight LAX-SJC at 6:00am the same morning of my 9:15pm LAX-BDL flight, and return to LAX on an AA flight from SJC-LAX around 3pm, separate ticket from LAX-BDL later that evening.

I don't want to lug my international checked back LAX-SJC-LAX, would I be able to check in and check my bag to the late night AA LAX-BDL flight early in the morning when I got for my Delta flight?

Failing that, would I be able to check my bag from SJC all the way to BDL on AA even on separate tickets?
I believe AA will accept luggage for check in up to 12 hrs before the flight. The fact that you're taking a side-jaunt in the meantime doesn't matter.

If you want to check in for your DL SJC-LAX flight and ask DL to check the bag through to the AA LAX-BDL flight, that's not going to happen.

In a pinch, you could try LAX Luggage Storage.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:16 pm

Thanks a bit earlier than 12 hours, but I'll give it a shot.

The flight from SJC-LAX is on AA, not Delta, should be fine to check it all the way to BDL correct?
Old Jun 28, 2016, 7:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Thanks a bit earlier than 12 hours, but I'll give it a shot.

The flight from SJC-LAX is on AA, not Delta, should be fine to check it all the way to BDL correct?
Ah, sorry. Misread. Yes, AA will still check through on separate AA tickets.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 1:10 am

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Ah, sorry. Misread. Yes, AA will still check through on separate AA tickets.
Thank you for the information. Cheers.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
One world sapphire question on AA

Flying Canada to USA on AA
I'm BA silver so one world sapphire I believe....
Is the baggage allowance I'm afforded (2 checked bags I think) and the use of the business class check-in and boarding priority also apply to a travel companion ? Or just me
Thanks
Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
On AA, it applies to everyone on the same PNR.

Rasheed
Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Prefect. Thank you
Old Jul 6, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA
Random question:

Has anyone checked baggage in the middle of a multistop point-to-point itinerary? For example, if I fly LHR-EZE (with 2-4 hour layovers in LGA and MIA), could I leave the secure area in MIA, pick up a bag and check it in for my flight to EZE? I imagine this would be possible in LGA because you have to pick your bags up after customs and recheck them anyways, but would it be possible to do this in MIA? Are there any known AA rules for checking baggage between end-points?

Last edited by guwinster; Jul 6, 2016 at 2:31 pm
Old Jul 7, 2016, 5:18 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
Pay for checked bags at online check-in?

Is there any way to pay for these in advance, when we check in on this airline? UA lets us do this in advance, then we get an electronic receipt. Is this possible on AA? If so, how? I don't see this option during the check-in procedure.

Alternatively, can we get an electronic receipt afterwards? If so, how do we request it with AA?

My company prefers electronic receipts for all purchases, so I would like to find out if this is possible. Thank you.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by guwinster
Random question:

Has anyone checked baggage in the middle of a multistop point-to-point itinerary? For example, if I fly LHR-EZE (with 2-4 hour layovers in LGA and MIA), could I leave the secure area in MIA, pick up a bag and check it in for my flight to EZE? I imagine this would be possible in LGA because you have to pick your bags up after customs and recheck them anyways, but would it be possible to do this in MIA? Are there any known AA rules for checking baggage between end-points?
Not a problem. People do this all the time, especially when they have duty-free items that they can't take through security.

Originally Posted by LEONIDES
Is there any way to pay for these in advance, when we check in on this airline? UA lets us do this in advance, then we get an electronic receipt. Is this possible on AA? If so, how? I don't see this option during the check-in procedure.

Alternatively, can we get an electronic receipt afterwards? If so, how do we request it with AA?

My company prefers electronic receipts for all purchases, so I would like to find out if this is possible. Thank you.
No way to pre-pay for baggage on AA unless you have a domestic or transborder (Canada, not Mexico) ticket and purchase a fare bundle which includes a bag. The refunds department may be able to provide an electronic receipt, but it's unlikely since it'll print to paper at either the kiosk or with an agent and there isn't even an electronic copy stored in the system accessible by agents.

At some indeterminate point in the future, though, AA does plan to migrate to entirely electronic miscellaneous documents.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by LEONIDES
Unfortunately there are some people that have not embraced all levels of technology, both companies and customers. You might be able to bridge these levels by using you cell phone camera to take a snap of any paper receipts and use that when submitting your expenses.

Believe it or not, there are some companies that are still using FAX machines and want everything submitted in that format. That's where services like Fax Zero really help.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA(EXP)UA(1K/1MM) Marriott(PP,LifeTime Plat) Hertz(5*)
Originally Posted by djsflynn
FYI: American Airlines "will continue to thru-check bags on multiple PNRs with Oneworld carriers" says AA's comms chief, rather than adopting Oneworld's new "one PNR good, two PNRs bad" system.

Details: Oneworld airlines revise baggage policy for connecting flights
This is great news. But the problem is that must if not all the OWA airlines are adopting the minimum standard as the rule.

Just got kicked in the nards by CX for this change checking in at MNL and connecting to a different carrier in hkg.

I think it's great that AA will still do more then the minimum requirements but it doesn't help much that the connecting airline may not especially when it can cost twice as much to be on a code share flight to have it booked on the same PNR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.