Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I am flying first class (on a 3 class plane) from NRT-LAX, then onto SFO on a 2 class plane. Will I get 3 checked bags (just lowly AA Gold) all the way through? I believe I will have to pick up my bags from customs in LAX and recheck, will they see it as part of the bigger itinerary?

Thank you
Old May 17, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by pitflyer
I am flying first class (on a 3 class plane) from NRT-LAX, then onto SFO on a 2 class plane. Will I get 3 checked bags (just lowly AA Gold) all the way through? I believe I will have to pick up my bags from customs in LAX and recheck, will they see it as part of the bigger itinerary?
Yes. Your bags should be tagged to SFO so you would just have to drop them off at the recheck desk without having to worry about the allowance possibly changing.
Old May 20, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
AA codeshare on Westjet baggage allowance

I have an upcoming trip where I'm flying oneway AA and Westjet (LAX to ORD on AA then ORD TO YYC on Westjet). As I'm a OW emerald, would the 3 bag policy apply or would Westjets baggage policy apply?
Old May 20, 2016, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Misread. Sorry.
Old May 20, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Misread. Sorry.
Its a single ticket and AA is the marketing carrier.
Old May 22, 2016, 7:13 pm

AA and LY International baggage policy and more

Was hoping to get some help with what to expect with upcoming travel.
Visiting the Holy Land and purchased American Airlines ticket on their website that includes 2 legs (one going and other returning) on El Al. I see now that ERl Al is not a OneWorld partner (and was a bit surprised that Americal did this codeshare). So my questions are:

1. Will I get FF mile credits only for the American Airlines portion of travel (and none for the codeshare flights)?

2. I have Platinum status with American so am generally allowed to check 2 bags without charge. Will I be able to do so on this ticket (or will El Al charge me for bags on my return)?

Thanks
Old May 22, 2016, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Maybe and maybe. AA and LY codeshare on some routes and not on others. Codeshares have nothing to do with alliances.

Please provide your exact routing and your class of service.
Old May 22, 2016, 9:09 pm

If your ticket was issued showing an AA flight number, it doesn't matter which airline is operating the flight, you WILL get AA miles. But you WILL NOT get treatment based on status if the operating airline is not in OW.
Old May 22, 2016, 11:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by BBQboy
Was hoping to get some help with what to expect with upcoming travel.
Visiting the Holy Land and purchased American Airlines ticket on their website that includes 2 legs (one going and other returning) on El Al. I see now that ERl Al is not a OneWorld partner (and was a bit surprised that Americal did this codeshare). So my questions are:

1. Will I get FF mile credits only for the American Airlines portion of travel (and none for the codeshare flights)?

2. I have Platinum status with American so am generally allowed to check 2 bags without charge. Will I be able to do so on this ticket (or will El Al charge me for bags on my return)?

Thanks
AA codeshares with several non-oneworld airline partners (including AS, EY, FJ, LY, TN, etc.)

If you are flying AA marketed flights, you earn as if you are flying on AA regardless of operating airline. If you are flying LY marketed flights (LY flights on your boarding pass), you do not earn AAdvantage miles.

As to baggage rules, we will merge into the proper thread. Please read the wikipost at the top of the page. /Moderator
Old May 23, 2016, 9:08 am

Oversize luggage

Hi!

Would just like to confirm of AA is very strict on oversize luggage? I have 2 23kgs baggage allowance but i would like to use just one luggage but the size is about 64cm. I will probably not consume the 23 kgs baggage allowance.

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2016, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Maybe and maybe. AA and LY codeshare on some routes and not on others. Codeshares have nothing to do with alliances.

Please provide your exact routing and your class of service.
CLT - LHR (AA), LHR - TLV (ELAL) outbound

TLV - MAD (ELAL), MAD - CLT (AA) return

Coach tickets

Thanks
Old May 23, 2016, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
AA codeshares with several non-oneworld airline partners (including AS, EY, FJ, LY, TN, etc.)

If you are flying AA marketed flights, you earn as if you are flying on AA regardless of operating airline. If you are flying LY marketed flights (LY flights on your boarding pass), you do not earn AAdvantage miles.

As to baggage rules, we will merge into the proper thread. Please read the wikipost at the top of the page. /Moderator
Forgive my ignorance here: what exactly determines a "AA marketed flight"? I purchased my ticket on the AA website and the flights all have AA flight codes (eg: AA 8373 - with small print stating operated by ElAl Israel Airlines). Could it be that I have this on my flight information and AA record locator, but get an ElAl boarding pass when I check in?

Thanks for any education you can send my way.
Old May 23, 2016, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by BBQboy
Forgive my ignorance here: what exactly determines a "AA marketed flight"? I purchased my ticket on the AA website and the flights all have AA flight codes (eg: AA 8373 - with small print stating operated by ElAl Israel Airlines). Could it be that I have this on my flight information and AA record locator, but get an ElAl boarding pass when I check in?

Thanks for any education you can send my way.
AA marketed are those flights operated by others but sold as an AA flight (as you saw - operated by ElAl). The operating airline is where you should go to check bags and do any landside business. I think AA.com can issue a BP online, but not sure. Your AA PNR may work for both or ElAl will generate a new one number for their use.
Old May 23, 2016, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
AA marketed are those flights operated by others but sold as an AA flight (as you saw - operated by ElAl). The operating airline is where you should go to check bags and do any landside business. I think AA.com can issue a BP online, but not sure. Your AA PNR may work for both or ElAl will generate a new one number for their use.
Thank you. It appears that AA is the marketing airline for my entire itinerary, however is only the operator for the transatlantic legs of travel. A post earlier stated that I should expect to be credited AA miles for those portions of travel bearing an AA flight number but on another operators (in my case ELAL) aircraft as AA is the marketing airline. I am really trying to assure this is correct. ELAL is neither a OneWorld member nor listed as an affiliate airline with AA (though AA booked this ticket for me on their website). Can someone clear the smoke on this!?

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/m...r-airlines.jsp

I read the faq and it would appear that the baggage rules established by AA (the first carrier on my ticket) should apply to the remainder of my itinerary, however it was not clear to me if that merely applied to the generic rule for transatlantic travel (coach tix gets 1 free bag) or applies to my status with AA (platinum allowed 2 bags shipped for free).

Thanks again. Confusing.
Old May 27, 2016, 4:29 pm

I have a EWR-DFW-HKG ticket in Y with SWU to C, all confirmed in Jan 2016. At that time, the policy is 3 bags + 1 for EXP. Today, I just changed the EWR-DFW to LAX-DFW. Can I still check 4 bags or just 3 bags as the ticket was re-issued?
Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.