Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
What does your e-ticket confirmation say?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
E_ticket confirmations cite standard allowances, not credit card-enhanced nor elite enhanced.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:03 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
E_ticket confirmations cite standard allowances, not credit card-enhanced nor elite enhanced.
That is partially incorrect. E-ticket confirmations do indicate elite enhanced baggage allowances. I just checked mine to confirm.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS, HA, CX, AF, BA, UA, HH
Originally Posted by controller1
That is partially incorrect. E-ticket confirmations do indicate elite enhanced baggage allowances. I just checked mine to confirm.
Hmm, now I have a decision to make. I've never checked the e-ticket because I knew I would get free checked baggage either because of elite status or having the credit card. I still have the itinerary on "Hold" and haven't paid yet because I was trying to find out if I should use my AAdvantage number or my AS Mileage Plan number to book depending on which one, if either, gets the free checked bag benefit since the first flight is a codeshare on AS.....
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
What did your last AA e-ticket confirmation say? The bag entitlement on AA is tied to your AAdvantage number, and I'd bet dollars to donuts it had the correct entitlement. If it did, you'll be good.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
OP’s case first leg PDX-LAX is on AS, isn’t it? Then will AS baggage allowance apply on OP’s situation?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
OP’s case first leg PDX-LAX is on AS, isn’t it? Then will AS baggage allowance apply on OP’s situation?
If it's marketed by AA, AA's baggage policy will apply, but the marketing carrier generally does not honor exceptions to the standard baggage allowance. However, I believe AS does recognize AA Gold status.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 10:53 am

It's been my experience that if you book on AA and use the AA card, AS will not give you free baggage. The AS benefit is based on your AS credit card. And since AS is the first flight, the AA card doesn't help. I don't know if AS will recognize the benefit from the AS card if you pay with that on the AA site. The terms might say book on AS and pay with card. But, if they say fly on AS and pay with card, IMHO the benefit should follow.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Microwave
What did your last AA e-ticket confirmation say? The bag entitlement on AA is tied to your AAdvantage number, and I'd bet dollars to donuts it had the correct entitlement. If it did, you'll be good.
Apparently, that e-ticket is the only one from last year I deleted for some unknown reason!
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
If it's marketed by AA, AA's baggage policy will apply, but the marketing carrier generally does not honor exceptions to the standard baggage allowance. However, I believe AS does recognize AA Gold status.
I think I found the answer! Googled "Does Alaska Airlines recognize American Airlines gold status?" and found this on aa.com:
"New Elite Status Benefits on Alaska Airlines

Now AAdvantage® elite status members can enjoy new benefits, including priority check-in and boarding, express security lanes, preferred seating and waived checked baggage fees, when flying on Alaska Airlines"

Checked baggage fee is waived for all elite tiers.

Thanks to all for your input.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:12 am

Question for airline employees. I am flying non-rev to go skiing. I am checking my ski bag. If I don't get on they pull the bag off right so I wont have to go try and figure out how to get it in California?
Old Apr 1, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Interline bag to BA hand bag only fare

I have a family member traveling on an AA J ticket to LHR, where they will transfer to a BA flight I need to book separately.

Will there be a problem within checking in a bag for the AA flight and interlining it to the BA flight, if I book the BA flight as an hand baggage only fare? I will save 20 euro by doing that.

Any experiences with this would be helpful.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Luggage / Baggage question

In a couple of days I'm flying LIH-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB (first three flights on AA metal, last leg on BA metal)

Can anybody advise whether, once I check my bags at Lihue, I will need to collect/recheck them at either LAX or JFK. (Hoping to try out flagship lounges and dealing with luggage would significantly reduce the chances of this happening).

Thanks very much.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by heathrowflyer111
In a couple of days I'm flying LIH-LAX-JFK-LHR-DUB (first three flights on AA metal, last leg on BA metal)

Can anybody advise whether, once I check my bags at Lihue, I will need to collect/recheck them at either LAX or JFK.
Nope. They will be checked through to DUB and there'll be no need to collect them on the way.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Great - thank you very much. (Had to collect at both JFK and LAX on the way out which was a pain.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.