Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Question 1: No. I don't think it's even possible to check a bag with a layover greater than 24 hours.

Question 2: Correct. Bags will be checked to the final destination on the ticket.

Question 3: I wouldn't count on it. AA staff, at least, are loathe to short-check baggage, though in this case it's clearly not a hidden city since it's an award booking. I'm not familiar with JL's policy in this regard.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I Mentioned wrong time in my OP on my SYDNEY layover. It is actually 6:10am to 6:45pm, so 12 hours and 25 minutes.
Would JAL still check in all the way too AKL?
To respond to other comment, I am taking some stuff belonging to a friend who moved to India permanently. Also we need summer clothes for India and winter gear to New Zealand for July.
Old May 3, 2016, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Sorry misread OP.

Last edited by wrp96; May 3, 2016 at 1:46 pm Reason: Misread question, edited out wrong info.
Old May 3, 2016, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wrp96
With a 12 hour 25 minute layover, you might get lucky and the agent will check through, but because the policy is officially 12 hours, you should be prepared that they won't, as it's usually a computer says no kind of thing.
The official policy of JL is , iirc, to check in based on how long the airport allows bags to be checked in for. IF Sydney airport allows 12.5 hours, then it will be ok
Old May 3, 2016, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
The official policy of JL is , iirc, to check in based on how long the airport allows bags to be checked in for. IF Sydney airport allows 12.5 hours, then it will be ok
You're right. I misread him as referring to the NRT layover (where he'll be checking in with AA) vs where he'll be checking in with JAL. Going to edit my post.
Old May 12, 2016, 2:22 am

Programs: Whatever fleeces my wallet the least
Hi all,

TIA. Looking for a quick clarification on AA baggage rules.

Flying YYZ-DFW-HKG in the back of the plane, as an AAdvantage Gold. To Asia is 2 bags, and there's also a 1st bag free for AA Gold. Does this mean I get 2 or 3 bags as an allowance? As in is the "free" bag the 1st bag that's already covered by the Asia route, or is it an 'extra' bag?
Old May 12, 2016, 2:31 am

It is not an extra bag, just a total of 2 given that you are going to destination where a 2 piece allowance applies
Old May 12, 2016, 3:05 am

Programs: Whatever fleeces my wallet the least
Thx... I had suspected the CS agent I was asking on the phone wasn't sure of what he was talking about...

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It is not an extra bag, just a total of 2 given that you are going to destination where a 2 piece allowance applies
Old May 14, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Through check bag MIA (GIG -> MIA -> UVF)

I'm flying on AA0904 from GIG -> MIA (20:15 -> 04:10)

And then (separate ticket):

AA2295 MIA -> UVF (09:44 -> 13:27)

Is it possible that we can through-check the bags from GIG -> UVF ?
Old May 14, 2016, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They should be able to be tagged all the way through. You will need to ask at check in if they are tagged ITI. If they are, then you will not have to collect your bags at MIA (but still have to go through immigration and security). If they are not tagged ITI, you will have to collect your bags at MIA, and then drop them back off after customs.
Old May 15, 2016, 5:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by wrp96
They should be able to be tagged all the way through. You will need to ask at check in if they are tagged ITI. If they are, then you will not have to collect your bags at MIA (but still have to go through immigration and security). If they are not tagged ITI, you will have to collect your bags at MIA, and then drop them back off after customs.
How can I get 100% clarity one way or the other?
Old May 16, 2016, 12:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by bmj1
How can I get 100% clarity one way or the other?
Look for the blue "ITI" sticker on your boarding pass. If it's not there, expect to have to claim and recheck your baggage at MIA.
Old May 16, 2016, 3:29 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie and I believe the answer to this is yes from the wiki and other responses, but I just want to confirm with you folks.

Flying AA from SFO-LAX and LAX-NRT, and then JAL from NRT-CGK, with 2-3 hours layovers in LAX and NRT. I'm assuming I can check-in my bags all the way to CGK?

Is there any immigration checkpoint in LAX we need to go through? I'm assuming if we can check bags all the way, we don't need to get our bags for immigration if there's any.

Thank you
Old May 16, 2016, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by pcx999
Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie and I believe the answer to this is yes from the wiki and other responses, but I just want to confirm with you folks.

Flying AA from SFO-LAX and LAX-NRT, and then JAL from NRT-CGK, with 2-3 hours layovers in LAX and NRT. I'm assuming I can check-in my bags all the way to CGK?

Is there any immigration checkpoint in LAX we need to go through? I'm assuming if we can check bags all the way, we don't need to get our bags for immigration if there's any.

Thank you
You should be able to check the bags through to CGK

There is no immigration checkpoint that you will need to pass though. Your documents will be checked at check in in SFO
Old May 17, 2016, 12:29 am

Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.