Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:27 pm

I am flying AA ORD-MIA-RTB with overnight connection. ORD-MIA is the last flight of the day and MIA-RTB is the first (and only) flight of the day. I will have a checked bag with diving equipment that I would like to retrieve for connection (even if through check is allowed, I am not sure about it). I don't want to risk misconnect and equipment is quite expensive so don't want it to be in MIA for long. Connection time is ~9 hours. Is there a way for me not to pay twice for a bag? I have a CITI AAdvatage card, but it gives free bag only on domestic flights, and since this is a single ticket itinerary ORD-MIA segment will be considered non domestic. Is that correct?

This is an award ticket.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you check it for the domestic flight and then separately for the international flight, then there will be 2 checked bag fees due.
1 for domestic plus
1 for international

given that you are exempt domestic baggage fees, then you would only have to pay the international charge

If you check the bags through to the international destination then there would be just 1 fee due
1 for international

Makes no diference whether you check the bags through or not
Old Jul 14, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
I'm curious to see how this will work out with my upcoming trip. I booked two flights DCA->DFW DFW->SYD. Both were booked on the AA website with AA flight numbers on separate tickets although the second leg is obviously on QF metal.

I booked two separate tickets as I wanted the DCA - DFW leg to be in First; but could only afford premium economy for the long flight. Never could figure out how to split them up on the website.

I have about six hours of a layover in DFW so won't be much of a problem if the gate agents refuse to through-check the bag.

One question- should the AA gate agent at DCA be able to check me in to the DFW-SYD flight and give me a boarding pass as well? The biggest thing I would like to avoid is having to go in and out at DFW and back through security to check in again, if at all possible.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For travel to Australia AA-QF, AA still chooses to provide checking of baggage through to destination, so your bags should be checked to Sydney

If this has a return journey

If returning on or before 31/08/16, QF will tag bags through to final destination ( though will of course need to be collected in DFW and taken through customs and dropped off on conveyor belt after )

If returning on or after 01/09/16, QF will only tag bags to DFW. Bags will have to be collected and taken to check in desk in DFW to be checked in to DCA

If the boarding pass cannot be printed at DCA, you should not need to go out of security; a lounge agent at the lounge QF uses should be able to check your documents and print the boarding pass
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:24 am

Baggage fee policy on AA metal that is AS codeshare?

So I have both the AS and the AA credit card that offer 1st bag free and I want to credit my miles to AS due to the distance based chart.

My question is whether ill get the first bag free ( 3ppl on my reservation = $75 in fees that i dont want to pay) if I credit miles to alaska?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by VeryHumerus
So I have both the AS and the AA credit card that offer 1st bag free and I want to credit my miles to AS due to the distance based chart.

My question is whether ill get the first bag free ( 3ppl on my reservation = $75 in fees that i dont want to pay) if I credit miles to alaska?
No, you won't. Bag fee waivers (for elite status or credit cards) are offered by the airline you check in with (the operator of your first segment each day). Therefore, you only get the waiver due to the AS credit card if you check in with AS. If you have the AA frequent flyer number associated with an AA credit card and you check in with AA, you'll get the bag fee waiver.

However, the bag fees themselves will be determined by what it says on your eticket receipt, which will normally be the marketing carrier (so it could be AS bag fees even when you're checking in with AA if you have a flight marketed by AS but operated by AA, which is good because AS bag fees are slightly lower than AA bag fees, IIRC).
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
No, you won't. Bag fee waivers (for elite status or credit cards) are offered by the airline you check in with (the operator of your first segment each day). Therefore, you only get the waiver due to the AS credit card if you check in with AS. If you have the AA frequent flyer number associated with an AA credit card and you check in with AA, you'll get the bag fee waiver.

However, the bag fees themselves will be determined by what it says on your eticket receipt, which will normally be the marketing carrier (so it could be AS bag fees even when you're checking in with AA if you have a flight marketed by AS but operated by AA, which is good because AS bag fees are slightly lower than AA bag fees, IIRC).
So ill have to pay the fees even though i have the waivers?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:58 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Will I be able to check our baggage all the way through? (to merge)

We have an 18 hour stopover (overnight) in DFW heading to Mexico. (Our choice as the direct connecting flight into BJX gets in too late and we wanted to arrive in daylight).

Will we be able to check our luggage in SEA all the way through to BJX or is our overnight layover too long to do this.

Thanks.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 8:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by david4455
We have an 18 hour stopover (overnight) in DFW heading to Mexico. (Our choice as the direct connecting flight into BJX gets in too late and we wanted to arrive in daylight).

Will we be able to check our luggage in SEA all the way through to BJX or is our overnight layover too long to do this.

Thanks.
11 hours is generally the US cutoff for checking baggage through. With 18 hours at DFW you will have to collect your baggage and re-check the following day.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by VeryHumerus
So ill have to pay the fees even though i have the waivers?
Given that you have both AA and AS credit cards: If your first flight of the day is on AA and you have your AA frequent flyer number in the record, you'll get the waiver and pay no first bag fee. If your first flight of the day is on AA and your AS frequent flyer number is in the record, no waiver and you will have to pay the bag fees.

You may be able to check in with the AA number in the record and then swap to the AS number at the gate, if you want. I don't know.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Baggage allowance AA Business Class Transatlantic (to merge)

Can someone here confirm the baggage allowance for business class flights London-Orlando-London on an AA flight (actually a BA operated, but presumably that makes no difference). In our party, there is one BA Gold and one BA Silver if that makes a difference.

Obviously we've had a look on the website, but as usual it is a little labyrinthine and confusing.

The impression I get is that it would be 2 bags of up to 32kg per passenger (with the business class tickets upgrading the weight allowance from 23kg to 32kg).

It would be nice to get a confirmation on that. We will be way below the overall totals, but could have one or two bags that go over 23kg.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Business class gets 3 bags @ 32kg regardless of status.

Emerald will get an extra bag (4th) at 32kg.

I believe, but not sure, that if you are all on one PNR, everyone will get the Emerald extra bag allowance.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Oneworld emeralds get 3 bags up to 32kg each
Business class passengers get 2 bags up to 32kg each
Oneworld Sapphires get 2 bags up to 23kg each

The most generous allowance that you qualify for is what you get (i.e. a Sapphire in business gets the business class allowance).

Weights: http://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/b...ht-baggage.jsp

Pieces: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sukn
Business class gets 3 bags...

Emerald will get an extra bag (4th)
This doesn't match what is on AA's site: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
2 bags, 32 kg per bag, per BA's website.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.