Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2016, 6:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Goosh
Flying on an AA award. SFO-LAX-NRT. SFO-LAX is economy since the F class award was not available. LAX-NRT is in F on JL. My question is this, at SFO, does my mother in law with no status get to check in at the first class AA counter? Or does she have to line up at the Y counter since her first leg is in Y? Thanks in advance.
She will most likely have to check in at the Y counter, as she has no status and her onward ticket is in Y.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 6:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
MODERATOR NOTE: The Wikipost has been updated to reflect AA's new through baggage checking rules, which you can also see here. Notice that different protocols are followed in IROPS / OSO conditions.

Older posts or posts with obsolete content due to oneworld (Jun 2016) and American Airlines (1 Sep 2016) baggage through checking have been moved to the Archive thread here (as indicated in the Wikipost).

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 9, 2016 at 8:14 pm
Old Sep 12, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver; BA Silver
Baggage query

I recently flew AA GLA-PHL-DTW. I am OneWorld Sapphire. I took 3 suitcases. I was told by the AA call centre when I phoned to check the first bag is free, the second bag is complimentary due to status and there would be a £65 charge for the third bag. When I got to the airport I was told they always have this issue and I would need to pay £140 for the extra 2 bags. On following up with AA they have said the first two are free but the third would be the £140 so this was the right charge. But surely as I get two bags free the third should be £65 and if I had a fourth that would have been an extra £140?

Thanks
Old Sep 12, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by voyager83
I recently flew AA GLA-PHL-DTW. I am OneWorld Sapphire. I took 3 suitcases. I was told by the AA call centre when I phoned to check the first bag is free, the second bag is complimentary due to status and there would be a £65 charge for the third bag. When I got to the airport I was told they always have this issue and I would need to pay £140 for the extra 2 bags. On following up with AA they have said the first two are free but the third would be the £140 so this was the right charge. But surely as I get two bags free the third should be £65 and if I had a fourth that would have been an extra £140?

Thanks
It looks as if their thinking is that the first bag is free, the fee is waived for the second bag, and you pay the fee for the third bag at the published rate for a third bag.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 8:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by voyager83

Thanks
The 1st bag charge is $0
The 2nd bag charge is $100 but waived due to status
The 3rd and subsequent bags are charged at $200

GBP140 is approximately $200 , so looks correct
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
Hi All

I am platinum flying in economy LHR-CLT-MEM with my wife and a lap infant.

What is the baggage allowance that my lap infant will get? I can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere. Do they get the same allowance as me? I know I am allowed to bring a stroller and car seat but what about checked baggage?

Also I put in for a miles upgrade to business and the agent said baggage allowance would be upped as well. Forgot to ask about infant.. if we get upgraded does lap infant also get upgraded baggage allowance?

We are moving countries so we will have a lot of luggage.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by Goosh
Flying on an AA award. SFO-LAX-NRT. SFO-LAX is economy since the F class award was not available. LAX-NRT is in F on JL. My question is this, at SFO, does my mother in law with no status get to check in at the first class AA counter? Or does she have to line up at the Y counter since her first leg is in Y? Thanks in advance.
Considering that if flagship checkin were available, you'd be allowed to use it based on the JL flight, I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to use the first class checkin in SFO. It's a first class itinerary, even though the first segment is in Y.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by conklaven
Hi All

I am platinum flying in economy LHR-CLT-MEM with my wife and a lap infant.

What is the baggage allowance that my lap infant will get? I can't seem to find a clear answer anywhere. Do they get the same allowance as me? I know I am allowed to bring a stroller and car seat but what about checked baggage?

Also I put in for a miles upgrade to business and the agent said baggage allowance would be upped as well. Forgot to ask about infant.. if we get upgraded does lap infant also get upgraded baggage allowance?

We are moving countries so we will have a lot of luggage.
I don't believe the infant is entitled to any bags other than specific infant equipment. Whether your upgrade clears or not, as a platinum you're allowed two bags per person. However, if you're in business, the bags can be up to 70 lbs each.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
I don't believe the infant is entitled to any bags other than specific infant equipment. Whether your upgrade clears or not, as a platinum you're allowed two bags per person. However, if you're in business, the bags can be up to 70 lbs each.
no bags? Wow... I usually fly BA and they are entitled to the same baggage allowance as the person they are assigned to.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by conklaven
no bags? Wow... I usually fly BA and they are entitled to the same baggage allowance as the person they are assigned to.
Google turned this up on the AA French website for US domestic travel, curiously the section for TATL does not contain the language about an infant without a seat.:

Infant Baggage Allowance

Infants occupying a seat travelling on a child fare are allowed the same checked and carry-on baggage allowance as an adult
Infants not occupying a seat do not have a checked baggage allowance. The additional items listed below are allowed as carry-on

Additional Items

The following items are allowed for each child / infant regardless of the fare purchased:

One nappy bag as carry-on
One checked fully collapsible child stroller / pushchair or child carrier to check-in. The child carrier can be taken in place of a pushchair, but not in addition to a pushchair
Child safety seats and fully collapsible pushchairs can be taken to the gate. Large pushchairs, non-collapsible or weighting over 20lbs/ 9kgs will not be accepted at the gate and will need to be checked in at the check-in counter
Child carrier can be carry-on if within 22in / 56cm in length, 14in / 35cm in width and 9in / 23cm in height
One child's restraint seat
https://www.aa.com/intl/fr/travelInf...allowUsDom.jsp
Old Oct 7, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
I am flying XXX-DFW on AA then DFW-SEA on AS, all on one ticket. (It's an 027 ticket # because the AA segment was purchased with the AS marketed codeshare.)

I am both AA Gold and AS MVP Gold.

I want to check 3 bags. Never done that before, and I assumed that my first two bags were free and I'd pay maybe $25 for the third bag. But after doing a little research it looks the third bag will cost $150 because everyone pays the third bag fee for the third bag, even those who are exempt from the first and second bag fees. Is that correct?

And just want to confirm that AA will check the bags through to AS since it's all on one ticket.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 8, 2016, 3:44 pm

Checked luggage / baggage slightly oversized - problem?

I just bought a new case and didn't check the size beforehand. It is 64 inches total and AA limit is 62.

Do you think they will check? I've never seen them get out a tape measure before but it will be my luck they start doing that I'm sure!!

A lot of the cases I'm looking at as a replacement also seem slightly too large.

Return the case or chance it?!
Old Oct 8, 2016, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I've never seen them check size unless a bag is very obviously over.

BUT, I find that with large suitcases like that you risk going overweight if you actually fill up the suitcase. So you need to underfill and then lose the benefit of having that larger suitcase

Personally, if you can still return it, I would and buy something smaller.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If it is an obviously branded suitcase your main risk is that they have found it to be oversize at some point in the past so they recognise it more easily in the future...

If not then the odds are low, but if they do spot it then the cost is high so if you can return it I probably would...

Last edited by Mark_T; Oct 8, 2016 at 4:20 pm
Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Mark_T
If it is an obviously branded suitcase your main risk is that they have found it to be oversize at some point in the past so they recognise it more easily in the future...

I not then the odds are low, but if they do spot it then the cost is high so if you can return it I probably would...
Who would've thought two inches would make such a big difference?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.