Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Old Jan 15, 13, 3:45 am

Hello,

I got a flight in business class that I purchased with AA miles from AA phone support on one ticket

first segment is with DragonAir from Phuket (HKT) to Hong Kong (HKG)

second is with Finnair from Hong Kong to Helsinki (HEL)

My question is about baggage. How much can I take with me? There is no mention about baggage on the ticket AA emailed me so I called them.

AA customer service is saying i can take 2 bags 23kg each and 2 carry-ons 10kg each

dragonair(they will obv handle the check-in) website is saying I can take 30kg total + 5kg carry-on. the website also adds that if you have a connecting flight with another airline the IATA rules apply. the MSC is finnair, right?

finnair website is saying 2x23kg bags and 10kg carry-on. also finnair's site is saying excess bag fees are decided by the airline that handles the check-in

who should I believe here? I'm guessing my allowance should go by finnair's limits but who knows what the dragonair check-in desk decides when I go there?

Any help appreciated!
Old Mar 24, 13, 8:26 pm

The International General Rules AA1

http://www.aa.com/i18n/Tariffs/AA1.h...EXT_AA1-0116AA

include:

Except as otherwise provided in this Rule, AA will, upon presentation by a fare-paying passenger of a valid ticket(s) covering transportation over the lines of AA, or over the lines of AA and one or more other participating Carriers, check personal property which is tendered by the passenger for transportation as baggage, when tendered at the city or airport office designated by AA, and within the times prescribed by AA, but no participating Carrier will check property so tendered:

Beyond the destination, or not on the routing, designated on such ticket(s);

Beyond a point of stopover;

Beyond a point of transfer or any other Carrier, if the passenger has declared a valuation in excess of the amounts specified in Rule 125 (EXCESS VALUE CHARGES FOR BAGGAGE) except between points where through interline service is provided without change of aircraft by two or more participating Carriers;

Beyond a point beyond which the passenger holds no reservation;

Beyond a point at which the passenger is to transfer to a connecting flight, and such flight is scheduled to depart from a different airport than that at which the passenger is scheduled to arrive at such point;

Beyond a point at which the passenger desires to resume possession of such property or any portion thereof; or

Beyond a point beyond which all applicable charges have not be paid.
Doesn't this mean, the tickets may be separate, not on the same PNR, and still require AA to check the bags through to the final destination?

I'm contemplating travel from JFK to MLA, on separate tickets, first JFK to LHR on an AA award in J, the second LHR to MLA on KM in paid Y, with an 8 of 9 hour layover.

KM's baggage policy for Y is, one checked bag up to 20 kg, and 15 Euros for each kg over.

Since I will have "valid ticket(s) ... over the lines of AA and one or more other participating Carriers," shouldn't AA check our 25 kg bags through to MLA, for no charge?

(I don't know if KM is a "participating carrier," if not I guess that settles it.)
Old Jul 12, 13, 7:40 pm

DFW: Can I check my baggage in Terminal D and fly out of C?

I want to claim my Texas sales tax in Terminal D http://taxfreetexas.com/refundcenters.html, prior to flying out of Terminal C. I use a car service.

Can I check my bags in Terminal D and then take the train to C? Or do I need to ask my car service to wait for me and take my baggage with me to C? What have others done in this situation?
Old Jul 12, 13, 7:54 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Yes. Its done all the time.

I actually prefer checking in at D, and hanging out in the AC in D as long as possible.
Old Jul 12, 13, 8:23 pm

Thank you. Do I need to allow more time for this? For the bags to go across?
Old Jul 12, 13, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Originally Posted by bmchris
Yes, don't cut the time too close. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old Jul 12, 13, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Oh yeah. They can get them from one terminal to another. even on the opposite side of the airport. I've done it a few time before.
Old Jul 12, 13, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
The cutoff is the same. Ive never had issues with bags not making it.
Old Jul 13, 13, 9:03 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Since flights change terminals all the time, it's prudent for AA to allow this (and they do)
Old Jul 13, 13, 10:07 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by Antarius
The cutoff is the same. Ive never had issues with bags not making it.
I tried it once, a couple of years ago, and my bag didn't make it. Perhaps I just happened to be unlucky that day.
Old Jul 13, 13, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
I want to claim my Texas sales tax in Terminal D http://taxfreetexas.com/refundcenters.html, prior to flying out of Terminal C. I use a car service.

Can I check my bags in Terminal D and then take the train to C? Or do I need to ask my car service to wait for me and take my baggage with me to C? What have others done in this situation?

This is VERY easy to do in DFW Airport. Not only will NO ONE question you at AA about why you are checking in Terminal D, you can easily clear security at Terminal D and then take the Airside train (called Skylink) to Terminal C

DFW Airport is for all practical purposes one GIANT terminal. There are NO restrictions about moving from Terminal to Terminal

Once you have cleared security you can take the Airside Train (Skylink) to any Terminal you feel like. Go hit A, B, C, D and E and then take the Train once all the way around to do Plane Spotting

Last edited by panjabi; Jul 13, 13 at 9:31 pm
Old Jul 13, 13, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
You can even walk from terminal D to Terminal C over the road that divides the ariport. it takes about 10 minutes or so (escalators are by D40ish area). I prefer it to the skylink so I can stretch my legs.
Old Jul 13, 13, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
When Pre-Check was initially only at one DFW terminal, I would check-in there and take the train to my gate. No problems.

(Interesting, I haven't seen this program before. Since Texas thinks it's a country unto itself, can us other 49ers get refunds too?)
Old Jul 13, 13, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
(Interesting, I haven't seen this program before. Since Texas thinks it's a country unto itself, can us other 49ers get refunds too?)
Yes - under these conditions:

Are US Citizens / Residents eligible for this refund?
Yes, anyone is eligible for a Sales Tax refund as long as the purchased items are exported and proper exportation procedures are followed. The US Constitution Article 1 Section 9 Paragraph 5 guarantees "No Tax or Duty shall be laid on Articles exported from any State." Christmas gifts taken to family overseas or a US Citizen living abroad are good examples of qualifying situations.

What documents are required for a US Citizen?
A US Passport and boarding pass indicating you will be traveling outside the territorial limits of the United States. These documents must be presented on the day of departure and verified at Dallas Fort Worth International Airport Terminal D, or George Bush Intercontinental Airport Terminals D & E ( IAH).
Old Jul 14, 13, 8:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Yes - under these conditions:

Are US Citizens / Residents eligible for this refund?
Yes, anyone is eligible for a Sales Tax refund as long as the purchased items are exported and proper exportation procedures are followed. The US Constitution Article 1 Section 9 Paragraph 5 guarantees "No Tax or Duty shall be laid on Articles exported from any State." Christmas gifts taken to family overseas or a US Citizen living abroad are good examples of qualifying situations.

What documents are required for a US Citizen?
A US Passport and boarding pass indicating you will be traveling outside the territorial limits of the United States. These documents must be presented on the day of departure and verified at Dallas Fort Worth International Airport Terminal D, or George Bush Intercontinental Airport Terminals D & E ( IAH).
Staying off topic--What are you quoting from? Is this a Texas state law or national?
I'm wondering if I can use it when connecting in DFW or only when it's the point of origin.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.