Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vincepoy
For some reason, thanks for the clarification.

Except in my case, I have not had the card since June/July 2016 as the Citi Double Cash while converted is a different card number so basically the account with the benefits would be closed anyways.

FIRST CHECKED BAG FREE
For benefit to apply, the Citi® / AAdvantage® account must be open 7 days prior to air travel, and reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, these benefits will be cancelled.
May not have been communicated. I know when I was with UA/CO back a few years ago I cancelled my Chase branded card. I still got benefits as of my last flight nearly two years later.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
May not have been communicated. I know when I was with UA/CO back a few years ago I cancelled my Chase branded card. I still got benefits as of my last flight nearly two years later.
Interesting. The only thing is that wouldn't logging in to the airlines FF program actually show something that says you are entitled to certain benefits?
The thing with this scenario is it would be fine for group 1 boarding but for luggage, it's like you're taking a gamble that somehow at the airport, the system somehow updates and no longer see you as a cardmember.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Regardless DOT requires the airline to go by the allowance/fees on the receipt. Since it shows 0.00 for fees you'll get one free.

I know AA has been having problems showing zero fees for elites. The receipt shows 1st checked bag through 3rd checked bag as zero in fees for an EXP passenger. While we get the fees waived, it should still show the actual fees in case there's other airlines being flown. Elite bag fee waivers aren't considered part of the baggage policy, but rather the elite program. However since the receipt shows zero in fees I've gotten to check bags on other airlines for free. I can tell you the other airline was not happy.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Regardless DOT requires the airline to go by the allowance/fees on the receipt. Since it shows 0.00 for fees you'll get one free.

I know AA has been having problems showing zero fees for elites. The receipt shows 1st checked bag through 3rd checked bag as zero in fees for an EXP passenger. While we get the fees waived, it should still show the actual fees in case there's other airlines being flown. Elite bag fee waivers aren't considered part of the baggage policy, but rather the elite program. However since the receipt shows zero in fees I've gotten to check bags on other airlines for free. I can tell you the other airline was not happy.
Thanks for the pointer. I was almost going to go get a Citi Business AAdvantage card for the bonus miles as it appears that would not go against the bonus miles offer not available if a Citi AAdvantage account was closed within 24 months. Other than the e-mail, can one even get the receipt from aa's website. Speaking about AA, I noticed the PNR using the record locator does not show up on other oneworld websites and mytripandmore can't retrieve it either.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

You would need the PNR for that airline. The AS PNR isn't going to pull up on another carrier.

the email serves as a receipt. However there is a link on aa.com to pull one up.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:36 am

Interesting, I remember before, you can pull up oneworld PNR's on the other airlines websites. I found the link on aa.com but it appears the ticket isn't pulling up yet until after a x amount of days as far as the receipt goes.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:15 am

The ticket receipt on aa.com finally shows up but all it shows is the itinerary with the flights and how it was paid, it does not include the baggage information section while it does have a fare code that the email receipt lacks. I remember when I had a CX PNR which was booked by a travel agency, one can use mytripandmore and then access the receipt which includes the entire carriage agreement among other things which was over 7 pages long when printed. After some searching, it's due to aa using SAABRE for domestic reservations and Amadeus is only for international AA reservations.

Also, you're right that Citi AAdvantage does not require one to pay with their card for the benefits since it's based on the AAdvantage # but Chase MileagePlus Explorer does require charging to the card for the benefits.

Last edited by vincepoy; Jan 15, 2017 at 5:23 am
Old Jan 15, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: HHonors Gold/AAdvantage /Delta Skymiles
LAX overnight connection baggage fees

Flying AA BNA-KOA with overnight LAX. I know I have to collect my bags for hotel stay, but will I be charged baggage fee again when I recheck next day?

Can you also tell me which terminal AA will depart for KOA?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:47 pm
BCH

Checking in luggage the night before

I have a 5am flight ORD-PHL-PWM (Portland, ME). Could I check the luggage the night before at ORD? Or is there a strict 4-hour rule in place?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

No you can't check luggage the day before.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:02 am

Should I have posted this question in a different area to get a response?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If you have a break in fare you should expect to pay baggage fees twice.

There are some fares (both award and paid) that allow a domestic connection to Hawaii of more than four hours - these do not break the fare.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 6:54 am

Thanks for the reply. Is there any chance they will check our bags through instead of us having to retrieve them and recheck the next morning? Flight arrives 6:40 pm departs 10:00 am next day.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your question is circular. It depends on whether you have a "connection" or a "stopover". Generally, domestic transfers exceeding four hours are stop overs and you will pay a fee for your new segment. But, on some fares where you arrive on the last flight in and depart on the first flight in, you may still have a connection.

Your baggage fees for 1st & 2nd bag for each segment are shown on your e-ticket receipt. Have you looked there?

You may also call AA and ask whether you have a connection or a stop over at LAX. The question as to bag fees flows from the connection / stopover and you will receive all manner of conflicting replies if you ask that and it won't matter if you get the wrong answer when the kiosk asks for your CC!
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:52 am

I will give AA a call, but I don't think it is a stopover. The only reason we have an overnight is because they cancelled our original flight that would have gotten us there at 8 am on day of KOA flight.

Thanks again for the responses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.