Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Interesting. I wonder if this is a money grab towards the reintroduction of golf in the Olympics that will be held in Brazil? Bad on AA if so.
This is one of the more bizarre theories I've heard recently!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:00 am

LAX to SFO checked baggage?

I forgot to bring my small carryon from Asia and I only have the big one.

Do you guys know if I can check in luggage for free on American Airlines?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Only if you have status. One checked bag will cost you $25 otherwise.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Only if you have status. One checked bag will cost you $25 otherwise.
Thank you sir!

I don't have the status, so I guess I will have to pay.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Perhaps now is the time to use that $25 towards buying a brand-new carryon bag? (Remember, it's $25 each time you check in)
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:56 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
If you can get it through security, you may be able to gate check it for free.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:10 pm

Baggage fees: AA Award travel, multi-city, different classes for different legs

Hi everyone,

I know very little about fare classes (or anything really regarding flights), so I appreciate your help.

I am getting a flight from London to Guatemala City. It turns out one cannot book the award as a one-way, but must be done through the option of Multi-Cities: LHR-MIA, MIA-GUA (I tried for a whole month before realizing this )

There are different award classes, but I am interested in the Economy MilesAAver and the Business/First MilesAAver. I would like to travel business but unfortunately I do not have enough miles. I can do both Economy or one Economy and one Business (just to highlight that the tax difference is huge from one class to the other).

So the question relates to baggage fees. I want to check 3 bags. In Economy, the first bag (23k) is free, the second $100 and third $200. In Business, 3 bags are free.

If I buy the LHR-MIA as business, would I have to pay the $300 for the MIA-GUA leg? I am wondering if baggage fees are contingent on the lowest class fare, or the highest? Would it be different if I did Economy on LHR-MIA and business MIA-GUA? The itineraries indicate that in these options the economy class is "T" and business is "U" (BA) & "Z" (AA) on the first leg (no direct flight available on B/F milesaaver, "J" on B/F aanytime) and "J" (AA) on the second if I do the mix and match.

I hope I haven't been too confusing...

Oh and I have no status of anything, just an AAdvantage member.

Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Welcome to FT!

Have you considered going via MAD on Iberia, rather than MIA? Do you have any miles other than AA miles? Any Amex, Chase Ultimate Rewards, or Starwood points?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

For 55K AA miles (+ taxes and modest Iberia surcharges), you should be able to fly LHR/LGW-MAD-GUA in Business Class on IB, if there is award space available. But aa.com cannot display award availability on IB, so you'll have to call AA, or use some other website to check IB availability.

The reason why you could not book LHR-MIA-GUA as a single award is that AA's routing rules for a Europe-to-Central America award do not permit a transit via North America.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976

For 55K AA miles (+ taxes and modest Iberia surcharges), you should be able to fly LHR/LGW-MAD-GUA in Business Class on IB, if there is award space available. But aa.com cannot display award availability on IB, so you'll have to call AA, or use some other website to check IB availability.

The reason why you could not book LHR-MIA-GUA as a single award is that AA's routing rules for a Europe-to-Central America award do not permit a transit via North America.
Thanks guv1976! I appreciate all the information, I had no idea about not being able to travel through the US!

I don't unfortunately have any other miles (except 5K in UA and some forfeited ones in US ). I did what you suggested and called AAdvantage to inquire about going via MAD, the lady said there was no availability (I'm looking to travel next Thursday, 1/22, tight I know!), even when I asked her to check -3 days. She did say however that it would have costed me the same number of miles as the LHR-MIA-GUA award, 35K in economy. She did sound like she didn't know much...

So I bought the held reservation in economy today at $215 in charges and taxes and $75 award fee I will have to fork an additional $300 for my 2nd and 3rd bag, but hoping something good will happen like them overselling the flights and me getting bumped or volunteer to stay behind in exchange for free checked bags

On a curious note, I used UA miles to fly IAD-LHR and my taxes and charges were $2.50 USD. $2.50!! How do charges and taxes go from 2.50 to 215??? Crazy (the taxes MIA-GUA are a mere $6.91)...

Thanks again!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: FB Plat
And again, AA baggage allowance with multiple airlines

Hi to all FlyerTalkers,

First of all, I hope I am not wrong posting there as this is my very first post on FlyerTalk!

Let me explain you my problem: I am planning to buy a ticket for a trip which would look like that.

Day A:
TLS-LHR (operated by BA)
LHR-SEA (operated by BA)

Day B:
SEA-PHX (operated by US)

Day C:
PHX-LAX (operated by MQ)
LAX-LHR (operated by BA)
LHR-TLS (operated by BA)

The trip, if bought, would be bought on AA website, with AA flight numbers, in economy. All flights would be on the same ticket. I have no particular status.

Do you know what would be my baggage allowance?

I am really confused:
- AA website tells me 25$ for 1st checked baggage (25$ for each leg or only the domestic one?)
- AA twitter told me that the allowance is the one of the company you are checking in with. BA the first day. US the second day. MQ the third day. (So I would have to add 50$ to check my bag for the entire trip ?!)
- some other posts on this forum make me think that the baggage allowance would be BA's one, which means 1 free checked baggage during the entire trip (but once again the reason may be confusing: is it because BA is the company of the first flight of this ticket, or is it because it flies the longest leg LAX-LHR ?).

Nothing is clear for me, and I have a bit of a trouble to budget my potential future trip with!

Thanks for the help.^
Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Day A, international and BA policy, No charge for 1 bag.

Day B, domestic. Pay 25 for 1 bag.

Day C, international itinerary (travel to/from/through Europe) . No charge for 1 bag.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by carlosdca
Day A, international and BA policy, No charge for 1 bag.

Day B, domestic. Pay 25 for 1 bag.

Day C, international itinerary (travel to/from/through Europe) . No charge for 1 bag.
Under US law, the same ticketed allowance must apply to all segments on the same ticket for a ticket with a ticketed destination in the US, as the OP's does. So days B and C should have at least the same allowance as Day A, meaning no fee for one bag on day B.

And it's the allowance of the marketing carrier (of the first segment, or potentially the first over-water segment) that matters, not the operating carrier. If you book through AA.com, the marketing carrier of the BA-operated segments could be either BA or AA, so that's important to check. (I'm slightly less sure of this bit than of the first bit.) However, for one checked bag, this shouldn't matter, as both BA and AA offer one free checked bag for Europe-US flights.

This will only be after booking, but your e-ticket should have a baggage information section that will say something like "Baggage charges for your itinerary will be governed by American Airlines" and will then itemize the baggage allowance on a segment-by-segment basis.

Last edited by ashill; Jan 28, 2015 at 2:47 pm
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
AA ticket with Alitalia flights (how to ticket, baggage question)

I priced out an AA fare (001 stock) on Google for JFK-FCO-NAP roundtrip with the FCO-NAP-FCO portions on Alitalia.

However, I can't get AA.com to show me any Alitalia flights, even when trying to force things through FCO by using multi-city. I want to use SWUs to upgrade the AA flights, so what is the best way to book these flights (call AA, but have to pay ticketing fee?)?

Also a secondary question, what would my baggage allowance be on the return? I would think AA's should apply as they are the overwater carrier, but I have read that Alitalia might insist on enforcing their inter-Europe allowance which is only 1 bag of 44 lbs.

Last edited by maizenblue07; Jan 29, 2015 at 11:32 am
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
A couple of years ago, I had an FCO-CDG-DFW flight with the FCO-CDG segment on Alitalia. I used Expedia for the booking. I don't remember who issued the ticket but I'm sure it was either AA or BA. My wife and I also only had 1 bag each so I wasn't worried about the baggage allowance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.