Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2017, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vincepoy
Actually, you misunderstood my question. I'm talking about AA only and not UA since on that trip, they are really two different trips and not connected to each other as UA only shows the outbound trip with UA only flights with it's own record locator while AA has another record locator that shows only AA flights for the return trip. So my question was in general as if the trip as all AA and domestic.

AA's advertising with their card is free 1st bag on AA marketed domestic flights for the primary cardholder and up to 3 companions who are all traveling.
That is easy to understand when there are up to 4 persons traveling together on the same PNR but what if there were 16 persons traveling together on the same PNR, out of those 16, 4 of the persons each are primary cardmembers on 4 different Citi AAdvantage accounts, will they allow each of the 4 persons to cover 3 more persons making the first bag free for all 16 persons or will AA only cover 4 persons total meaning they will treat the other 3 primary cardholders as the 3 when looking at any of the 4 primary cardholders basically saying that passengers 1-4 are the cardholders, AA will look at passengers 2-4 as the companions of 1, 1&3-4 as the companions of 2, 1-2&4 as the companions of 3 and 1-3 as the companions of 4 instead of looking at passengers 5-7 as companions of 1, passengers 8-10 as companions of passenger 2, passengers 11-13 as companions of passenger 3, and passengers 14-16 as companions of passenger 4. Since they can basically treat it as only one primary cardmember instead of four.
Each airline will always have its own record locator. What matters is that it was all booked as one reservation. There's a third record locator, used by Orbitz that is the main record locator. Since you have both UA and AA flights in the trip they have to send info to both AA AND UA. UA still governs the baggage policy.

Waivers will be given at checkin with AA, but not UA. Any fees actually charged will be per UA policy.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Each airline will always have its own record locator. What matters is that it was all booked as one reservation. There's a third record locator, used by Orbitz that is the main record locator. Since you have both UA and AA flights in the trip they have to send info to both AA AND UA. UA still governs the baggage policy.

Waivers will be given at checkin with AA, but not UA. Any fees actually charged will be per UA policy.
Interesting, never thought about it that way since I always thought in a case like this, Orbitz would have their own reservation which involves AA and UA while there would be a AA only reservation on AA and a UA only reservation on UA unless there was connecting flights between AA and UA between the origination and destination point. But in this case, it's not even a domestic trip on both UA and AA, so the free bag rule will not apply on AA or UA.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 8:36 am

Flying domestic F to Augusta for Masters. EXP.
Will I have 4 bags free? Need to bring 2 golf bags and 2 checked luggage.
Called in and was told only 3 bags. The fourth will cost me $25. However, reading through this thread and wiki- I should be able to get all 4 complimentary.
Can anyone confirm?
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:24 am

Some thoughts and experiences about AA's idiotic no-check-through policy. Had an itinerary of POS-MIA-DFW-MIA-POS. The first sector was a reward flight, the second and third were a return ticket and the final sector was on a separate ticket. The problem was always going to be DFW-MIA-POS in terms of checking through baggage and since I had heard about the no check-through policy, I made sure to give myself 6 hours in MIA to be absolutely sure that even with delays etc, there was enough time to pick up and recheck the baggage. Anyway, as it turned out, DFW-MIA was delayed and the check-in agent knew that it was delayed. He still insisted on not checking bags through, even though it turned out to be a 4 hour delay. Talked to an AA agent in MIA as soon as I got there and she insisted that the DFW agent would have had the flexibility to check the baggage through, but decided not to. In the end, the bags did not make it and had to be sent on a different flight, which caused a lot of additional hassle - ironically, for AA too.

I understand that AA might want to double charge for bags but why does the policy apply to OW Emerald etc?

Check-in agent at DFW said it was not about payment for bags but due to people buying two separate tickets which may turn out cheaper than buying just one (I ran some test bookings and every time it came out at either the same price or more expensive to book separately) .

Also, there are many reasons why one might have to buy a separate ticket that have nothing to do with cost such as itinerary changes or having a reward flight.

Btw, the (apparent) reward flight exemption did not work in my case as it was the first leg that was a reward flight, which had taken place a week earlier.

My suggestion to AA would be to:

1.) Do away with the policy for status customers.
2.) Give other customers the option of paying double for bags that they want checked through.
3.) Keep whatever maximum transfer time policy they might have (e.g. if your connection is longer than X hours, you have to re-check in any case).
Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:41 am

Baggage fees to Costa Rica.

I am booked on AA flight from LAX to SJO and from LIR to LAX in economy class. We are 5 of us and none of us have any AA frequent flyer status. Do we have to pay for checked in baggage? I checked the AA website and got confusing info. I would assume each of us can check in at least 1 free bag to an international destination.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
I would assume each of us can check in at least 1 free bag to an international destination.
It's best not to make assumptions about such things. What does it say regarding baggage fees on your itinerary on AA.com?
Old Mar 19, 2017, 1:09 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Baggage fees are listed here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...rvice-fees.jsp

Is this the table you looked at previously? As you see, you'll be paying $25 for the first bag if you're flying economy to/from Central America. Alternately, as rjw242 mentioned, when you go through the booking process online, you'll get to a section that shows you your fare, along with other fees (such as baggage).
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:10 pm

Question if I am on a business class award ticket on a One World carrier international flying to the USA where I then have to pickup my bags and re-check onto an AA express flight that has no F cabin. Does the 70 lb weight limit still get applied to that last flight?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Question DFW-SEA-SFO on AA & AS - Bag check through?

I'm planning to fly:

DFW-SEA on AA metal

SEA-SFO on AS metal (AA codeshare)

My stopover in SEA is 7 hours. I'm going there for a meeting.

Can I check through my bags from DFW-SEA-SFO so I don't have to collect my bags in SEA?

Also, the 2 flights are on the same itinerary but different ticket numbers as AA is part of RTW and AS (AA codeshare) is a new one-way ticket.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Not sure how relevant this is, but I know that AS will check bags through if the connection is scheduled to be 12 hours or less. So if this were an AS-AS connection on one ticket, you'd definitely be able to check through. I don't know how long a layover AA is willing to allow, and I don't know how the separate ticket plays in. (Does "same itinerary" mean same PNR?)
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
Not sure how relevant this is, but I know that AS will check bags through if the connection is scheduled to be 12 hours or less. So if this were an AS-AS connection on one ticket, you'd definitely be able to check through. I don't know how long a layover AA is willing to allow, and I don't know how the separate ticket plays in. (Does "same itinerary" mean same PNR?)
But the OP does not have a connection here. Not only is he on separate tickets, but AA only allows four hours to connect domestically (with a few exceptions, not here relevant).
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Any itinerary is a PNR. I think you mean same ticket and OP has said no. Since not on one ticket AA shouldn't check luggage through.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:31 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I think that you are misreading it and that it is worded reasonably correctly, if not very well

1st checked bag is free for
Gold members and OW Ruby members and AS MVP members
and when travelling to any of those locations in the 1st list
Sorry I too am having a problem understanding the wording ( must be a UK thing)

Does the above mean Ruby get one free checked bag to Haiti and no other destination.

Asking as I have a few upcoming flights from MIA-TPA and MIA- SXM and have dropped to Ruby.

Do I get any free baggage on these routes.

Thanks
Old Mar 25, 2017, 5:13 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Any itinerary is a PNR. I think you mean same ticket and OP has said no. Since not on one ticket AA shouldn't check luggage through.
As far as I know, "itinerary" doesn't have a technical meaning in the airline industry. If it did, I for one don't know it, so I could see the OP using "itinerary" in its English language sense to refer to a trip set up using completely separate reservations/PNRs. So clarification from the OP would help.

I know that AA technically doesn't allow through checking on multiple tickets within one PNR (even though I still find that astoundingly customer-unfriendly policy hard to believe), but it seems to me more likely that they would through check on on PNR than they would on a trip cobbled together with completely separate reservations.

If AA won't check bags with a domestic layover longer than four hours, this is all moot anyway (and to AA).
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

As far as I know, "itinerary" doesn't have a technical meaning in the airline industry. If it did, I for one don't know it, so I could see the OP using "itinerary" in its English language sense to refer to a trip set up using completely separate reservations/PNRs. So clarification from the OP would help.

I know that AA technically doesn't allow through checking on multiple tickets within one PNR (even though I still find that astoundingly customer-unfriendly policy hard to believe), but it seems to me more likely that they would through check on on PNR than they would on a trip cobbled together with completely separate reservations.

If AA won't check bags with a domestic layover longer than four hours, this is all moot anyway (and to AA).
When it comes to flying there's two things 1)the ticket and 2)the reservation aka itinerary aka PNR. I've never heard itinerary used in any other manner. When flying on two different airlines a PNR is created for each airline, but one PNR is still the main one. In this case two PNR have been combined into one (the AS PNR added to the AA PNR) according to the OP and thus there's two tickets issued instead of one if it all had been on one itinerary to begin with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.