Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Exec, Skywards, Qatar Priv Club
Question AA Baggage Help (to merge)

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate!

Just a quick question we are a family of 4 travelling on AA from JFK to EGE (Vail) in economy.

2 pax are OW emerald and 2 pax are OW sapphire via BA Exec club.

Am I correct in saying that we are entitled to check in 10 bags?

Thank you!

Darzifa
Old Dec 25, 2016, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, EY Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*, Global Entry
Yes. Unless this is a single reservation, in which highest status prevails for all pax. In which case, you can check 12 bags.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Exec, Skywards, Qatar Priv Club
Originally Posted by danohio
Yes. Unless this is a single reservation, in which highest status prevails for all pax. In which case, you can check 12 bags.
Thank you so much danohio - yes we are all on one reservation/locator. Is 32KG per bag the max?

Sorry seem silly questions but a combination of xmas presents/ski gear has left us with more bags than we can cope
Old Dec 25, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: AA
Oneworld rules state 2 checked each but on AA ExPlat (emerald) allowed 3 according to AA Advantage rules. Worth checking with the airline what the max is. Merry Christmas.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
It appears non-AA OWE can check 3. See AA page here:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

This page confirms they can be up to 70 lbs. (32 kg):

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ht-baggage.jsp
Old Jan 10, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Virgin AU Platinum, United Gold, Hilton Diamond
US domestic checked luggage allowance as Oneworld Sapphire

Hi all,

I am doing a US domestic flight in economy with AA, have Oneworld Sapphiare status via Qantas. After reading AA checked luggage rules (https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp) I wanna confirm how the rules for complimentary are to be read.

They are stating 1 bag complimentary for Ruby, 2 bags complimentary for Sapphire; BUT there is always an "AND WHEN TRAVELING TO THESE DESTINATIONS" section to click on. Is this "AND" to be read as both rules apply together? (Meaning Ruby only to Haiti, Sapphire only to Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, etc.)
I don't think so, this is more to be read as an "Or to those destinations" otherwise it wouldn't make much sense for having status, but wanna double check.

I already checked the Wiki on this (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html) but it didn't touch this point.

Thanks all.

Cheers
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:02 pm

Yes, you are correct. You get two bags free. It should say "or."
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Hellboy666
Hi all,

I am doing a US domestic flight in economy with AA, have Oneworld Sapphiare status via Qantas. After reading AA checked luggage rules (https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp) I wanna confirm how the rules for complimentary are to be read.

They are stating 1 bag complimentary for Ruby, 2 bags complimentary for Sapphire; BUT there is always an "AND WHEN TRAVELING TO THESE DESTINATIONS" section to click on. Is this "AND" to be read as both rules apply together? (Meaning Ruby only to Haiti, Sapphire only to Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, etc.)
I don't think so, this is more to be read as an "Or to those destinations" otherwise it wouldn't make much sense for having status, but wanna double check.

I already checked the Wiki on this (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html) but it didn't touch this point.

Thanks all.

Cheers
I think the Wikipost's

1st and 2nd checked bags are complimentary for:
  1. Platinum
  2. oneworld Sapphire members
  3. Alaska Airlines MVP Gold
  4. Confirmed Business Class customers*
applies.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Hellboy666
Hi all,

Thanks all.

Cheers
I think that you are misreading it and that it is worded reasonably correctly, if not very well

1st checked bag is free for
Gold members and OW Ruby members and AS MVP members
and when travelling to any of those locations in the 1st list

1st and 2nd checked bag is free for
Platinum members and OW Sapphire members and AS MVP Gold members
and when travelling to any of those locations in the 2nd list

1st, 2md and 3rd checked bag is free for
Executive Platinum and OW Emerald and AS MVP Gold 75k members and military
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Virgin AU Platinum, United Gold, Hilton Diamond
So you 3 think similar than me, thanks all
Old Jan 11, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
Hi, I'm EXP and I used my miles for my wife to travel by herself. It's a domestic flight in Y. She has no status. Will she get any free checked bags? Since I was able to select elite reserved seats for her, I imagine she inherits some of my elite benefits...
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by fredshino
Hi, I'm EXP and I used my miles for my wife to travel by herself. It's a domestic flight in Y. She has no status. Will she get any free checked bags? Since I was able to select elite reserved seats for her, I imagine she inherits some of my elite benefits...
I am 99% certain that when you redeem miles for tickets for others that none of your status benefits are inherited unless you are on the same PNR. If you bought here tickets as AAnytime (instead of SAAver), then she would have been entitled to the elite reserved seats based on that.

When I fly with my family with me on a paid ticket and them on miles, they did not inherit my baggage limit. The only thing that was inherited was that I could get them seated in MCE though on SAAver redemptions, and that is only allowed when the member with status is on the same flight.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 4:23 am

I booked 2 award economy domestic roundtrip tickets on January 8, 2017 but paid for the tickets on January 13, 2017 for SFO -> DFW in late April 2017 and DFW -> SFO in late May 2017, both flights are non-stop AA. The miles came from my AAdvantage account that has 51k miles and no status. I paid for the tickets using a Merrill+ Visa Signature card issued by Bank of America. However, I noticed both the confirmation screen and the e-mail that was sent after ticketed mentions that the first checked piece of luggage is $0.00 which is the same as free, shouldn't it be $25.00 or did the baggage rules change? I did have a Citi AAdvantage Platinum WORLD Elite MasterCard for a year which does provide for the 1st checked bag for free for the primary cardmember + up to 3 additional people traveling on the same PNR that was converted to a CITI DoubleCash WORLD MasterCard but for the former, that would still require paying for award tickets using the Citi AAdvantage Platinum WORLD Elite MasterCard which is not the case here. This is exactly what it says in the bottom of the e-mail as the website confirmation screen disappeared after it timed out.

"Baggage Information

Baggage charges for your itinerary will be governed by American Airlines BAG ALLOWANCE -SFODFW-No free checked bags/ American Airlines BAG ALLOWANCE -DFWSFO-No free checked bags/ American Airlines 1STCHECKED BAG FEE-SFODFW-USD0.00/ American Airlines /UP TO 50 LB/23 KG AND UP TO 62 LINEAR IN/158 LINEAR CM 1STCHECKED BAG FEE-DFWSFO-USD0.00/ American Airlines /UP TO 50 LB/23 KG AND UP TO 62 LINEAR IN/158 LINEAR CM 2NDCHECKED BAG FEE-SFODFW-USD35.00/ American Airlines /UP TO 50 LB/23 KG AND UP TO 62 LINEAR IN/158 LINEAR CM 2NDCHECKED BAG FEE-DFWSFO-USD35.00/ American Airlines /UP TO 50 LB/23 KG AND UP TO 62 LINEAR IN/158 LINEAR CM ADDITIONAL ALLOWANCES AND/OR DISCOUNTS MAY APPLY

You may have purchased a "Special Fare" and certain restrictions apply. Some fares are NON-REFUNDABLE. If the fare allows changes, a fee may be assessed for the change."

So I am trying to figure out if I really can check a bag for free or not.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The card is linked to your FF account. AFAIK you don't have to pay with it. Having the card is what gives the benefits.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The card is linked to your FF account. AFAIK you don't have to pay with it. Having the card is what gives the benefits.
Thanks for the clarification.

Except in my case, I have not had the card since June/July 2016 as the Citi Double Cash while converted is a different card number so basically the account with the benefits would be closed anyways.

FIRST CHECKED BAG FREE
For benefit to apply, the CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ account must be open 7 days prior to air travel, and reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantageŽ number 7 days prior to air travel. If your credit card account is closed for any reason, these benefits will be cancelled.

Last edited by vincepoy; Jan 14, 2017 at 7:22 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.