Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bdemaria
I think the key is that OP is flying US/BA. This would absolutely not be a problem flying AA/BA, bags would be checked all the way to LUX.

If US doesn't interline separate tickets, then indeed the OP will need to pick up the bags at LHR and recheck them.
US does interline checking in of bags across separate tickets when all the flights are Oneworld-operated.

It almost seems to be a Oneworld alliance baggage policy that interline baggage checkin across separate tickets is to be done when all flights are on Oneworld carriers. I would be surprised if US doesn't have the same policy in this regard as AA and BA ever since US became a Oneworld carrier. In practice in recent months, it seems what US does (if the agent is competent) is basically akin to what AA and BA do in this regard.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Well, it will be an adventure to see what happens. We should be able to check in online to the BA LHR>LUX flight before we start any of the flights so at least that wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks GreenTrees for the info. I definitely need to look at lounges and where it might make sense to use them. Had hoped for a trip to the arrival lounge to clean up but sounds like that may not be a great idea. Plenty of time to look at that later if we keep this routing
We have a longish layover at LHR - 10AM to 3:45PM

-AJ
Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Any updates on how AA charges (or doesn't) for bags on flights booked using Avios?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. AA does not have HBO fares.
2. AA does not distinguish by form of payment, e.g. cash vs. FFP of any kind. A ticket is a ticket.
3. AA waives fees for its own elites and according to the OW schedule for those with OW status.

The confusion is that a given ticket might have a $25 first bag fee, but that fee is waived (rather than no applied) for an AA / OW elite.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 9, 2016 at 9:17 pm Reason: Move mod note
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:27 pm

FAQ: Baggage / Luggage, Rules on AA & Other Airlines (consolidated)

Flying on AA, it seems that historically, a golf bag was exempt from oversize baggage fees provided that it meets weight limit of 50 lbs.

Looking at AA's baggage page, I see no mention whatsoever of an exemption for golf bags.

I searched the forum and found conversations about this between 2008 and 2013 but have not found a conversation after 2013.

Given that I can't find anything on AA's web site that specifically mentions the word "golf" in terms of baggage fees, does anyone know if a golf bag is still exempt from excess baggage fees if weight < 50 lbs or even if < 50 lbs would it get nailed with $200 fee for being beyond size limits for normal baggage?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Golf clubs are mentioned at http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/aacom...es_charges.jsp

1st, 2nd or additional bag charges apply

There seems to be no exemptions on fees
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
E.g. If you are allowed to check a bag in as part of fare or status, it'll qualify for free if it's the sole checked item; weight limits might vary by class of service or status. Otherwise, unless status or class of service allow greater bag numbers (and weight),

Archery Equipment, Backpack/Knapsack, Boogie / Skim / Speed Boards, Bowling Balls, Camping Equipment, Fishing Gear, Golf Clubs, Oars, Scuba Gear (without tanks), Shooting Equipment, Skateboard, Tennis Rackets, Tent/Sleeping Bag:

For Brazil ONLY: Golf equipment: 50% of excess bag (4+) charge, to clarify:
For tickets purchased before April 8, 2014: Golf equipment is $37.50.

For tickets purchased on or after April 8, 2014: Golf equipment is $42.50.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 3, 2015 at 6:51 pm Reason: Fix holding
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Archery Equipment, Backpack/Knapsack, Boogie / Skim / Speed Boards, Bowling Balls, Camping Equipment, Fishing Gear, Golf Clubs, Oars, Scuba Gear (without tanks), Shooting Equipment, Skateboard, Tennis Rackets, Tent/Sleeping Bag:

That highlighted portion is specifically for Brazil only for tickets issued from 8 apr with $37.50 applying for Brazil for tickets prior to 8 April
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by JDiver
E.g. If you are allowed to check a bag in as part of fare or status, it'll qualify for free if it's the sole checked item; weight limits might vary by class of service or status. Otherwise, unless status or class of service allow greater bag numbers (and weight)

Interesting. I wonder if this is a money grab towards the reintroduction of golf in the Olympics that will be held in Brazil? Bad on AA if so.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Interesting. I wonder if this is a money grab towards the reintroduction of golf in the Olympics that will be held in Brazil? Bad on AA if so.
How is charging 50% of the normal excess charge, money grabbing?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Golf clubs are mentioned at http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/aacom...es_charges.jsp

There seems to be no exemptions on fees
So, golf bag is treated as standard luggage, and therefore not charged excess fee even though it's not the right dimensions for the standard luggage.

If 1st bag is free then golf bag is free. If 1st bag has a fee, that fee applies to golf bag. But, golf bag is exempt from the $200 fee for luggage that doesn't have the right dimensions.

Thanks for finding that link. I couldn't find anything at all about golf on the baggage fee page at AA.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by FlyWorld
So, golf bag is treated as standard luggage, and therefore not charged excess fee even though it's not the right dimensions for the standard luggage.

If 1st bag is free then golf bag is free. If 1st bag has a fee, that fee applies to golf bag. But, golf bag is exempt from the $200 fee for luggage that doesn't have the right dimensions.

Thanks for finding that link. I couldn't find anything at all about golf on the baggage fee page at AA.
I would have read that normal bag fees apply and that if it was over the allowed weight ( 23Kg for economy / 32KG for business or 1st class ) or outsize the permitted dimensions, that those charges would apply

i.e. they are treated in same way as any other luggage
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
How is charging 50% of the normal excess charge, money grabbing?
Perhaps I misunderstood. Golf clubs count as a checked bag but I read it to mean the charge would occur in any case when traveling to Brazil. After reading it again it appears to mean there is a discount for golf clubs as excess to Brazil. Good for AA!

I was told the size limits are waived but not the weight limits. I've traveled on AA internationally often with golf clubs and never charged when I used it as a checked bag allowance.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; HHonors Diamond; National Executive Elite
I travel with my clubs frequently and have never even seen them get weighed. They have always been accepted as part of my regular luggage allowance.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
One must have a pretty heavy bag to exceed 50lbs. I have a hardshell travel bag (not an external hardshell over a bag but a Trav-A-Lite hard bag/case/roller) that weighs under 10 lbs. Together with my clubs, everything weighs in under 25 lbs (actually, last time I Fedexed it, I think the weight was 23 lbs or so).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.