Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sukn
Business class gets 3 bags @ 32kg regardless of status.

Emerald will get an extra bag (4th) at 32kg.

I believe, but not sure, that if you are all on one PNR, everyone will get the Emerald extra bag allowance.
No it doesn't. Business class is entitled to 2 x 32Kg bags, not 3

Originally Posted by pps197
It would be nice to get a confirmation on that. We will be way below the overall totals, but could have one or two bags that go over 23kg.

AA's baggage allowance is available at https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp - which shows 2 bags for business class ( unless holding Emerald status, when it increases to 3 )
https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...se&from=footer shows that there is no charge for bags weighing up to 32 Kg

The details of the baggage allowance should be on the confirmation of the booking - the email should state which airline's allowances apply and what the allowances are

If BA's allowances were applicable it would make no difference to the weight permitted - BA details at http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...age-allowances detail that the bags may weigh up to 32Kg

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jul 22, 2016 at 11:47 am
Old Jul 22, 2016, 12:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by pps197
Can someone here confirm the baggage allowance for business class flights London-Orlando-London on an AA flight (actually a BA operated, but presumably that makes no difference). In our party, there is one BA Gold and one BA Silver if that makes a difference.

Obviously we've had a look on the website, but as usual it is a little labyrinthine and confusing.

The impression I get is that it would be 2 bags of up to 32kg per passenger (with the business class tickets upgrading the weight allowance from 23kg to 32kg).

It would be nice to get a confirmation on that. We will be way below the overall totals, but could have one or two bags that go over 23kg.
AA rules will apply: USDOT regulations require the marketing carrier of the initial segment baggage rules apply to USA originating (or ending, iirc) flights. E.g. flying BA as an AA codeshare, or BA connecting from AA marketed by AA, AA rules would apply. These take precedent of IATA rules if travel begins (or ends) in the USA.

AA offers free carriage of two bags of 32 kg each for each passenger flying your route in Business class.

oneworld rules allow an extra 32 kg bag to oneworld Emeralds.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
AA rules will apply: USDOT regulations require the marketing carrier of the initial segment baggage rules apply to USA originating (or ending, iirc) flights. E.g. flying BA as an AA codeshare, or BA connecting from AA marketed by AA, AA rules would apply. These take precedent of IATA rules if travel begins (or ends) in the USA.
just to clarify - The DOT requires that the policies of the 1st marketing carrier apply - this is not necessarily the baggage allowances of the 1st marketing carrier. On a mixed carrier itimerary, the 1st marketing carrier can apply its own allowances or it can defer to the most significant carrier

This doesn't impact the OP's question since there is only 1 carrier
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Thanks for the clarifications.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA EXP
GOL Codeshare Baggage Question

I have a GIG-CGH-GRU-JFK itinerary next month and wondering how baggage will be handled on the GIG-CGH portion. It is an AA marketed/ticketed itinerary all same day (the GIG-CGH portion is an AA codeshare).

Does anyone have any insight on if GOL will treat this as a Domestic flight? or, international?

Also--GOL's website is pretty vague on baggage charges. Will there be any fees associated with checking two bags?

Any insight would be great!
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I can't find any GOL code shares in the GDS. Are you sure the GOL flight is marketed under an AA flight number?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
I can't find any GOL code shares in the GDS. Are you sure the GOL flight is marketed under an AA flight number?
I was wrong. It is not an AA flight number. It is a GOL flight number.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If you bought it from a U.S. consumer-directed web site then U.S. DOT rules demand the standard baggage allowance be shown on the ticket receipt.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you bought it from a U.S. consumer-directed web site then U.S. DOT rules demand the standard baggage allowance be shown on the ticket receipt.
I purchased it directly from American on AA.com.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:13 pm

In this case, AA will apply the baggage policy of the first marketing carrier on the ticket, which is GOL.

While I'm not certain that GOL will honor the Brazilian international 2pc/70lb allowance for the CIG-CGH segment, anecdotal evidence indicates that they likely will.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:46 pm

If purchased from AA, then the itinerary receipt or eticket receipt should detail the baggage allowance for the journey

Since it is a trip to USA, then the DOT baggage rules will apply and so the policies of GOL will apply to the whole trip

Assuming this is a single ticketed itinerary and not separate tickets for GIG-CGH

Either GOL will apply its allowance or will defer to the MSC , which is AA

In this case, it makes no odds, since both GOL and AA have the same baggage allowance of 2 pieces of max 32Kg per piece

GOL's allowance ( from http://www.voegol.com.br/en-us/viaje...s/default.aspx ) would be 2 pieces max 32 KG per piece

If GOL defers to AA, then AA's allowance from https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp is 2 pieces with no extra charge for bags weighing 23-32Kg ( see https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ht-baggage.jsp )
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:38 pm

From what I can see, GOL does not defer to the MSC.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:53 pm

It doesn't matter though since both have the same allowance
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Anyway to check baggage allowance for a specific trip?

Some relatives booked a ticket through BA from India to DFW with a stopover in NYC. The segments to NYC were all BA and the domestic segment is on AA. Since this is part of an intl itinerary, would like to see if there is a way to see how many bags are allowed free for the specific trip before checkin time.

Does each pax get one bag or does BA's bag policy of 2 bags at 23kgs apply?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
With a U.S. destination (or origin) DOT's single ticket/single allowance rule applies.

If they bought the tickets from BA on web site directed to U.S. consumers, DOT's requirement for the carrier to state the standard allowance on the ticket receipt applies, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.