Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Interlineing Bags: AA-QR-EY?

Planning a trip in November Miami to Delhi for vacation. Question on interlining bags.

Do you think we will have any problem with interlining our bags with the following routing?

American to Philly, Qatar to Doha, then on to Deli on Etihad, (via Adu Dahbi). FYI: Consideriing the Etihad flights to avoid a 15 hour layover in Doha (on Qatar)

--
Old May 31, 2016, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Is it one ticket or separate tickets? If one ticket, then no problem. If it's multiple tickets, then most likely AA will only check through to the QR flights, but not onward to the EY flights.
Old May 31, 2016, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by wrp96
Is it one ticket or separate tickets? If one ticket, then no problem. If it's multiple tickets, then most likely AA will only check through to the QR flights, but not onward to the EY flights.
thanks. it would be one tic. I'd like to confirm that Qatar and Etihad have an interline baggage agreement. i called AA, and they said they dod not know! and I'd have to call QR and EY!!!!!
Old May 31, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
From my experience it depends on where you originate.
I had no problem doing checked bag PSP-ORD-DOH-MLE AA and QR(although due to14 hr DOH layover tix had to be hand written).
Other family member on same trip had no luck originating at LAX with same route. Claimed bag at ORD and QR rep handled it from there.
Old May 31, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
It is doable if on same ticket (assuming connection times are less than allowed at the airports you are traveling through) and make sure you ask the gate agent at every boarding point on your itinerary if your bags are loaded. EY missed one of my bags at the destination and delivered 2 days later.
Old May 31, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by aglp2k
It is doable if on same ticket (assuming connection times are less than allowed at the airports you are traveling through) and make sure you ask the gate agent at every boarding point on your itinerary if your bags are loaded. EY missed one of my bags at the destination and delivered 2 days later.
How does the gate agent know whether your bags are loaded? I always just looked at the ticket stub that I get. If my final destination is at the top, I expect it to get there. Or well, expect ish, depending on their competency.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, SQ Krisflyer
Would AA check baggage to Virgin Australia?

I'm travelling SAN-LAX on AA with a connecting VA flight to Sydney.
VA counters may not open until 3hrs before departure...but I arrive in LAX some 8 hours prior. Would AA check luggage through to SYD?
IF NOT, I would like to store luggage at airport but my search on internet doesn't say there is such facility at airport.
I have access to KAL and AC lounges but I don't think they'll have lockers - or do they?
Suggestions appreciated.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Are these separate tickets? In 2014, AA changed their policy to not check through bags on separate tickets unless the separate ticket was also on AA or a oneworld carrier. Thus, AA will not check through to s separate Virgin Australia ticket, if you indeed hold a separate ticket.

IME, US airports don't have luggage hold facilities. Not sure about the lounges.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by ty97
Are these separate tickets? In 2014, AA changed their policy to not check through bags on separate tickets unless the separate ticket was also on AA or a oneworld carrier. Thus, AA will not check through to s separate Virgin Australia ticket, if you indeed hold a separate ticket.

IME, US airports don't have luggage hold facilities. Not sure about the lounges.
Yes, separate tickets.

Not sure if it's better to hire a rental car, keep luggage in boot, keep car in car park, go out and about, return to LAX and take luggage, "return" car and check in at VA.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by foreigner
I'm travelling SAN-LAX on AA with a connecting VA flight to Sydney.
VA counters may not open until 3hrs before departure...but I arrive in LAX some 8 hours prior. Would AA check luggage through to SYD?
IF NOT, I would like to store luggage at airport but my search on internet doesn't say there is such facility at airport.
I have access to KAL and AC lounges but I don't think they'll have lockers - or do they?
Suggestions appreciated.
Last time I was there, I did not see any lockers in the AC at LAX. Depending how lucky you feel, leaving locked bags at the AC should be safe. I did that at SFO for a same-day turnaround to ORD (aren't MRs fun?). And wouldn't you know it, we got diverted to SJC on the return! Took the bus to SFO, but since not ticketed out of SFO could not get through security. Went to ticket counter and they called the AC and one of the AAngels brought my bag out.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:07 pm

Thanks. I'll see if I can change my flight to VX to stand a chance in interlining.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by aglp2k
I don't think this is feasible advice because if every passenger asked the gate agent to check if their bags are loaded...

Not to mention that bags can still be loaded as late as 5 minutes before departure, whereas the boarding door closes at 10 minutes. "Not loaded" before boarding begins doesn't mean the bag isn't sitting on the ramp next to the airplane waiting for its turn.

The easiest solution is to not try to bypass minimum connection times in the first place.

Originally Posted by hiima
How does the gate agent know whether your bags are loaded? I always just looked at the ticket stub that I get. If my final destination is at the top, I expect it to get there. Or well, expect ish, depending on their competency.
They can theoretically check using a tool similar to the public-facing bag tracker, but it's unlikely that they would be able to do so since they generally have more pressing concerns.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Interline baggage on AA

I'm planning a trip and I'm curious if AA will interline baggage between two OW carriers.

I'm flying from DFW in business class, connecting to CX at YYZ also in business. I have a 12-hour connection.

Am I correct in assuming that I am allowed 2x 32kg on AA? Will they be able to tag the bags all the way through even though I have to take it to customs? (Is there US pre-clearance at YYZ?)
Old Jun 13, 2016, 4:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by hikouki
I'm planning a trip and I'm curious if AA will interline baggage between two OW carriers.

I'm flying from DFW in business class, connecting to CX at YYZ also in business. I have a 12-hour connection.

Am I correct in assuming that I am allowed 2x 32kg on AA? Will they be able to tag the bags all the way through even though I have to take it to customs? (Is there US pre-clearance at YYZ?)
We have merged your query into the active thread. Please read the wikipost at the top of the page to begin with.

/Moderator

Note AA may not tag your bags through if: you are on separate tickets, and/or your connection is over eleven hours.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus, EVA Infinity Mileage Lands, Alaska mileage plan
baggage question

Does AA give first and business class passengers priority on their checked baggage like UA and Delta do or everyone is the same like Alaska?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.