FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)
Old Oct 9, 2016, 5:50 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sophie131
I just bought a new case and didn't check the size beforehand. It is 64 inches total and AA limit is 62.

Do you think they will check? I've never seen them get out a tape measure before but it will be my luck they start doing that I'm sure!!

A lot of the cases I'm looking at as a replacement also seem slightly too large.

Return the case or chance it?!
It's very, very rare that they bring out a measuring tape and make an issue of an extra two inches when it comes to non-boxes. If the bag is 50 lbs or under, I'd expect no problems whatsoever. If the bag is in the 23-32kg range and you're paying or waived from paying the overweight fee for 23-32kg bags, then it's still going to be ok under most all circumstances. If the bag is over 32kg, then the real chance for problems hit and snowball in regards to the size HLW dimensions also being made an issue on top of the weight issues.

A relatively frequent member of my travel party has been traveling with a bag that is c. 2 linear inches over the standard size allowance and yet the person has had no problems over the linear dimensions despite several hundred check-ins for AA flights in the past decade. And others have done so nearly as much and also had no trouble either over the LHW dimensions.