Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Change to Fare Classes and Class of Service Bonuses (3/31/21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change to Fare Classes and Class of Service Bonuses (3/31/21)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2021, 1:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Upthread:
The main cabin goes from
YSBMHQLVKGTRXW to
YBHKMLVSNQOGXT

I think those fare classes are "tongue in cheek" and likely they should be "whY S,P,E,K,U,L,A,T,I,O,N?"

Firstly, YSBMHQLVKGTRXW, is incomplete. It is missing Z & N, refundable (and eligible) & dynamic Main cabin awards respectively. As of now, Main Cabin Fares, Saver & awards are

YS(MVP eligible) 50% COS*
BM(MVPG, eligible) 25% COS*
H(MVPG75K, eligible)*
QLVK(GGU eligible, status not needed)
GTR(Discount Main, ineligible)
Z (Refundable, eligible award)
N (dynamic, ineligible award)
W(Saver, ineligible award)

* Eligible fares provide for an immediate complimentary upgrade into the F cabin if U (upgrade) space is available. All fare classes listed above an Elite Tier are also eligible for that Tier.

AA is YMLKHVGNSQ for AS EQM earnings, BE, fare class B on AA don't earn on AS. T is used for Main Cabin awards. S is most often the fare basis that AA offers Y-UP into PE(P) or F(I)/J(I) in domestic/international F/J.

AA uses R for discounted first/business while CX uses R for PE and although not oneworld, so does SQ. AS might very well reassign a new fare class to replace discounted non Saver Main fares. That could leave R for a future "unbundled" J cabin fare that perhaps doesn't earn a COS bonus or grant AL access.

If we want to speculate further, I can see the top 2 Y fare classes dropping to a 25% COS with no other COS bonuses below that. AS may also drop EQM to 50% on Saver X fares or if they match AA you can use all your benefits including upgrades but the X fare will earn zero EQM. Maybe RDM and/or Elite Status bonus only?

There might be provisions added also for a lower Main Cabin Fare class that will be eligible for MVPG100K too, although that could be added later in the year.

Lots of speculation. I will wait for the concrete to set!

James
anteater likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

I think those fare classes are "tongue in cheek" and likely they should be "whY S,P,E,K,U,L,A,T,I,O,N?"

Firstly, YSBMHQLVKGTRXW, is incomplete. It is missing Z & N, refundable (and eligible) & dynamic Main cabin awards respectively. As of now, Main Cabin Fares, Saver & awards are

YS(MVP eligible) 50% COS*
BM(MVPG, eligible) 25% COS*
H(MVPG75K, eligible)*
QLVK(GGU eligible, status not needed)
GTR(Discount Main, ineligible)
Z (Refundable, eligible award)
N (dynamic, ineligible award)
W(Saver, ineligible award)

* Eligible fares provide for an immediate complimentary upgrade into the F cabin if U (upgrade) space is available. All fare classes listed above an Elite Tier are also eligible for that Tier.

AA is YMLKHVGNSQ for AS EQM earnings, BE, fare class B on AA don't earn on AS. T is used for Main Cabin awards. S is most often the fare basis that AA offers Y-UP into PE(P) or F(I)/J(I) in domestic/international F/J.

AA uses R for discounted first/business while CX uses R for PE and although not oneworld, so does SQ. AS might very well reassign a new fare class to replace discounted non Saver Main fares. That could leave R for a future "unbundled" J cabin fare that perhaps doesn't earn a COS bonus or grant AL access.

If we want to speculate further, I can see the top 2 Y fare classes dropping to a 25% COS with no other COS bonuses below that. AS may also drop EQM to 50% on Saver X fares or if they match AA you can use all your benefits including upgrades but the X fare will earn zero EQM. Maybe RDM and/or Elite Status bonus only?

There might be provisions added also for a lower Main Cabin Fare class that will be eligible for MVPG100K too, although that could be added later in the year.

Lots of speculation. I will wait for the concrete to set!

James
FYI, what I previously posted came from a memo to agencies right from the horse's mouth.
eponymous_coward and ACBLtd like this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
JL has published earning rates for YBHKMLVSNQOGX in main cabin from 31MAR so it matches to what was posted before. Interestingly enough, they also have rates for FA in first and WPR for premium economy.
ACBLtd and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 2:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
FYI, what I previously posted came from a memo to agencies right from the horse's mouth.
Interesting, any other details? Should we care what letters are assigned? The functionality behind them is more important. No?

James
Old Feb 18, 2021, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
fwiw I just purchased SEA-LAX-DCA (mid May) in R ... frankly, given the dearth of U space, as long as I get the instant upgrade to Premium I really don't care about the underlying inventory designator
anteater and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 8:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SugoiHikouki
JL has published earning rates for YBHKMLVSNQOGX in main cabin from 31MAR so it matches to what was posted before. Interestingly enough, they also have rates for FA in first and WPR for premium economy.
Interestingly JL lists F, A under First Class which doesn't exist on AS right now(since F's going to be converted to J). Does this mean that a new class of service above Domestic F is coming?
Old Feb 18, 2021, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
Interestingly JL lists F, A under First Class which doesn't exist on AS right now(since F's going to be converted to J). Does this mean that a new class of service above Domestic F is coming?
Highly unlikely. AA changed the F cabin to J booking some time ago for everything except premium 3 cabin services that have a fancier F. All 2 cabin F is now J.
ACBLtd and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
Highly unlikely. AA changed the F cabin to J booking some time ago for everything except premium 3 cabin services that have a fancier F. All 2 cabin F is now J.
Oneworld uses A (First), D(Business) and L(economy) for alliance round the world/circle fares. AONE* and the like.
The A fare code is now OW long haul first class. In USA/AA 2 class domestic first was reclassified as J fare bucket a few years ago. The AA seats,service, etc are more like what non USA airlines have for long haul business class (JD) or domestic/regional business class. [Some sarcastically say an old AA 2 cabin first class is more like long haul premium economy on better airlines].

A business class DONE* Oneworld RTW will book into AA domestic 2 cabin D bucket first class. As will a first class AONE* Oneworld RTW. Airlines/aircraft/routes with long haul international first class are decreasing. COVID-19 has increased the reduction of long haul first. Some long haul business class suites are better/more impressive than other airlines first class.

If OW does introduce an alliance wide upgrade system the eligible fare booking class on OW airlines is likely to be same. From memory the AA-IB-BA cross airline upgrade system use economy YBH*. That is very high priced economy fares. [* need to check].

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 19, 2021 at 1:54 am
Old Feb 23, 2021, 7:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
And it's up...
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...earn-on-alaska
ACBLtd and anteater like this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Where is the language on writing in to get bonus miles if you purchased the ticket before the announcement?
Old Feb 23, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I would like to know the same. The website specifically stated that if you buy F you get a 75% bonus.

It STILL reads that way too!

Old Feb 23, 2021, 7:59 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Where is the language on writing in to get bonus miles if you purchased the ticket before the announcement?
BWAHAHAHAHA! Conspicuously absent. Looks like they're sticking with travel date across the board, and no exceptions for previously purchased at old earning rate for post 3/31 travel.

Disappointing, to say the least.

Anteater - I think it's time to ask your friends in the C-Suite why they aren't honoring their earlier word to you...
Old Feb 23, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I see they also changed GGU rules... no longer applicable on QOG fares (and X of course)
Old Feb 23, 2021, 9:20 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Nothing too exciting - at least all Y fares are still 100% earn rates or better....sure the P/I fare dings a little but it could have been a lot worse!

GGU fares operate the same except aligned with the new fare class order.....but if you cant find any U space....a moot point still.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
BWAHAHAHAHA! Conspicuously absent. Looks like they're sticking with travel date across the board, and no exceptions for previously purchased at old earning rate for post 3/31 travel.

Disappointing, to say the least.

Anteater - I think it's time to ask your friends in the C-Suite why they aren't honoring their earlier word to you...
The statement I received previously was that for previously aforementioned eligible tickets would be eligible for their original CoS bonus, but the traveler would need to contact customer care to have it manually posted. Eligible tickets were classified as being purchased prior to the announcement and for travel after the changes beginning on 3/31.

I would presume having it manually done addresses an IT issue of segmenting tickets and assigning two different CoS bonus values.

So, once 3/30 hits feel free to contact AS CC. If anyone has trouble at that point feel free to let me know.

edit: Given that the FC seating page still promotes 75% CoS bonus for FC tickets, (IMO) one would have a reasonable case to request the correction and might be able to ask CC to receive the CoS bonus for flights purchased post-announcement, but that was not addressed when I originally contacted AS.
NoLaGent likes this.

Last edited by anteater; Feb 23, 2021 at 11:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.