Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Change to Fare Classes and Class of Service Bonuses (3/31/21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change to Fare Classes and Class of Service Bonuses (3/31/21)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2021, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by olouie
Thats a bit better. Did they respond via email or was this on the phone? I want to get written confirmation because its likely to be a flight to get miles adjusted after the fact.
Pun intended?

I hope to receive a similar response to my written inquiry. It will be much easier to "reply" to the response with each post-30 March flight itinerary after flights have initially posted.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I just got my response from AS. There is no mention of being able to write into customer care and get the miles.
"All flights on or after March 31, 2021, when we join oneworld, will earn the new bonuses regardless of when the ticket was purchased."
Old Jan 27, 2021, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I just got my response from AS. There is no mention of being able to write into customer care and get the miles.
"All flights on or after March 31, 2021, when we join oneworld, will earn the new bonuses regardless of when the ticket was purchased."
Got same response.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 4:39 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I'm not surprised by the response from Customer Care. Given how new this is and that there isn't an actual policy yet, it'll likely take a bit to get from Mgmt to CC.

Put me in the group that thinks that AS will eventually do the right thing by confirming purchase date vs. travel date. Anteater's response from Mgmt would seem to confirm this. Although if it ends up like UA, you'll need to contact CC eventually to get the manual adjustment.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 4:43 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I'm not surprised by the response from Customer Care. Given how new this is and that there isn't an actual policy yet, it'll likely take a bit to get from Mgmt to CC.

Put me in the group that thinks that AS will eventually do the right thing by confirming purchase date vs. travel date. Anteater's response from Mgmt would seem to confirm this. Although if it ends up like UA, you'll need to contact CC eventually to get the manual adjustment.
Their plans may change (proactive v. reactive) on crediting the CoS bonus based on purchase date, but I was told that the traveler would need to manually contact AS CC to have it done.
pcoll likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
more info, same story

from AS CS email received this morning:
In order to align with more with the oneworld implementation, we did have to make those changes. Unfortunately, we were unable to "grandfather" in the reservations that have already been made as when the system changes the class of service, it's not intuitive enough to also look for the date of purchase. We have extended the 50% Elite Qualifying Bonus miles for all flights, regardless of class of service with the exception of free or award travel, though June 30th, 2021
Old Jan 28, 2021, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anteater
Their plans may change (proactive v. reactive) on crediting the CoS bonus based on purchase date, but I was told that the traveler would need to manually contact AS CC to have it done.
I don't mind writing in to get it. I'm just hoping that the wording on the site is quickly changed to reflect that and/or we receive an email detailing these upcoming changes. It still irks me that the only reason we know about this now is because someone stumbled upon it.
bmvaughn, NoLaGent, Kacee and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 9:24 am

Programs: AS, WN, Hyatt, Hilton
Originally Posted by anteater
I emailed AS CC when the change was announced as well, and they just replied stating "Flights that were booked in First Class and travel is completed on/before March 30, 2021 will earn the bonus miles that are currently showing on the chart. However, any flights that are travelled on/after March 31, 2021 will be subject to the new bonus miles and we are not able to credit the original bonus miles for that class of service even though it was booked prior to the announcement." This sounds as if they still won't credit, even if we call after completing travel.

Very unlike Alaska....
Old Jan 28, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Well, we all know that numerous departments are reading this thread (hello Comms! Hi C-Suite!), so perhaps it's time for this to be officially addressed, rather than a web drop tease and over a month of speculation before a formal policy is published.

Just a thought...
buschoi, WrightHI, pcoll and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 28, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: Yes
Red face

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I don't mind writing in to get it. I'm just hoping that the wording on the site is quickly changed to reflect that and/or we receive an email detailing these upcoming changes. It still irks me that the only reason we know about this now is because someone stumbled upon it.
If AS doesn't follow through with their statement on honoring the CoS earnings for eligible tickets purchased prior to the announcement, I will be willing to post my correspondences with AS in full. Though, I think AS just has not gotten the right information down the chain to it's staff yet.
NoLaGent, Kacee, pcoll and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by dliesse
Definitely a kick in the teeth to anyone who's already bought a ticket! I also have to wonder why they won't release the revised chart until 2/23, especially since everyone already knows what it's going to be.

This change won't affect me immediately, but it does further my opinion that joining OW was the worst decision I've seen AS make in a long time. Definitely the least of the three major alliances.
I’m interested to know why you believe OW is the “least” of the alliances? Asking because I find it to be the best. As an Emerald, international FC lounge access is amazing. QR offers the best J product I’ve had and I go out of my way to fly them, pre Covid, 2-3 times a year. OW coverage to Asia is superb, and Europe, on full J BA tickets, is very nice as well. YMMV, but I’d like to know which alliance you prefer?
WanderingGent likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 8:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Tack
I’m interested to know why you believe OW is the “least” of the alliances? Asking because I find it to be the best. As an Emerald, international FC lounge access is amazing. QR offers the best J product I’ve had and I go out of my way to fly them, pre Covid, 2-3 times a year. OW coverage to Asia is superb, and Europe, on full J BA tickets, is very nice as well. YMMV, but I’d like to know which alliance you prefer?
Can argue whether *A or OW is better overall, but ST is the clear laggard. Don't think that's even debatable. And agree, OW Emerald is no question the best alliance elite level.
SF1K and WanderingGent like this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 4:10 pm

This is ridiculous. AS this is a retroactive change and not keeping in Alaska's norm. I simply do not believe there is no way to track the purchase date as they do this all the time with mileage awards and mileage charts. Here is what I got from AS that in short reads, "tough luck":
January 28, 2021

Dear XXXX,

I appreciate that you took the time to contact Alaska Airlines Customer Care.

Flights that are booked in First Class with the class of service "I" and "P" and travel is completed on/before March 30, 2021 will earn the 75% bonus miles that is currently showing on the earning chart. However, any flights that are travelled on/after March 31, 2021 will receive the 50% bonus miles and we are not able to credit the 75% bonus miles for the class of service "I" and "P".

As always, thank you for flying with us.

Sincerely,

Kara
Customer Care Representative

Reference#: XXX0715
Old Jan 29, 2021, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
This is ridiculous. AS this is a retroactive change and not keeping in Alaska's norm. I simply do not believe there is no way to track the purchase date as they do this all the time with mileage awards and mileage charts. Here is what I got from AS that in short reads, "tough luck":
January 28, 2021

Dear XXXX,

I appreciate that you took the time to contact Alaska Airlines Customer Care.

Flights that are booked in First Class with the class of service "I" and "P" and travel is completed on/before March 30, 2021 will earn the 75% bonus miles that is currently showing on the earning chart. However, any flights that are travelled on/after March 31, 2021 will receive the 50% bonus miles and we are not able to credit the 75% bonus miles for the class of service "I" and "P".

Kara sen

As always, thank you for flying with us.

Sincerely,

Kara
Customer Care Representative

Reference#: XXX0715
Kara sent me the exact reply, well, except my name isn't XXXX. Big disappointment.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Kara sent me the exact reply, well, except my name isn't XXXX. Big disappointment.
I replied back that it was disappointing and that while I understand the need to align with AA, I don't see the need to act like AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.