Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Change to Fare Classes and Class of Service Bonuses (3/31/21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change to Fare Classes and Class of Service Bonuses (3/31/21)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2021, 6:20 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I encourage everyone to send in an email here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...t-mileage-plan
I usually don't "flex" my status, but I think it's important to let them know in this case.
I agree, we should let AS know this was a very “unAlaska” move.
I just sent off 2 emails to AS.
we have discounted First class tickets for the next 7 months. The COS bonus was part of the calculation when purchasing those tickets.
I asked that those with flights already purchased be allowed to keep COS posted at time of purchase.
we will see if we can get AS to see this change in a “new light”.
RAD_PDX likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA PRO, AS 100K
This thread has taken a reduced turn, no pun intended. It is speculation AS does not intend to notify regarding a planned change in 66 days. It is speculation AS does not intend to accommodate existing tickets for mileage accrual, either voluntarily or on request. Please give AS a chance to do the right thing in your eyes before you write them off as "customer unfriendly" or "on a race to the bottom". I also expect changes to Economy fare classes to align with AA and oneworld on February 23, 2021.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by jaloola
It is speculation AS does not intend to accommodate existing tickets for mileage accrual, either voluntarily or on request.
I thought that at first, but then I reread it. "For travel on or after March 31, 2021 some fare classes and bonus levels will change. On February 23, 2021 we will share the new chart, and begin converting tickets." That's pretty clear. No speculation needed. As of now, they intend to change the fare classes for existing tickets.
olouie, bmvaughn, buschoi and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 9:06 pm

I thought that at first, but then I reread it. "For travel on or after March 31, 2021 some fare classes and bonus levels will change. On February 23, 2021 we will share the new chart, and begin converting tickets." That's pretty clear. No speculation needed. As of now, they intend to change the fare classes for existing tickets.
Also the fact they shared the first class changes but still say wait until February 23, 2021 makes me pretty certain that there is much more to come.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 9:29 pm

Programs: AS, HHonors
Originally Posted by olouie
Also the fact they shared the first class changes but still say wait until February 23, 2021 makes me pretty certain that there is much more to come.
Yes this scares me more than the change in I fare earning.... scared about main cabin earnings....
Old Jan 24, 2021, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Southwest A-List, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sea Trips
Yes this scares me more than the change in I fare earning.... scared about main cabin earnings....
Same thought. Fearing earning will be similar to crediting Alaska metal on AA. Those changes in economy would push me to reconsider my flying. Just going to need to wait and see how this plays out. Hoping we are being more doom and gloom than what is actually released.

Last edited by FlyingBear; Jan 25, 2021 at 11:36 am Reason: Fix typo.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingBear
Same thought. Fearing earning will be similar to crediting Alaska metal on AA. Those changes in economy would push me to reconsiy. Just going to need to wait and see how this plays out. Hoping we are being more doom and gloom than what is actually released.
Im fearing this is what is coming. Many discount economy fare classes will only earn .5 miles EQM and RDM soon.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That doesn't necessarily mean they won't adjust EQM for qualifying tickets (i.e., those purchased prior to publication of the new chart).

I suspect it would be wholly impractical for them not to convert all existing tickets as of the conversion date, it would cause system chaos. Thus, the question is whether they will grandfather those that were purchased pre-announcement for purposes of EQM calculation. I don't think we have any facts indicating either way on that question.
NoLaGent, jaloola and pcoll like this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 11:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
If AS turns into a pseudo (well more than they are now) spend based by reducing discount economy earnings I’d fly with DL or AA if I wanted a big 3 carrier not a wanna be big 3 carrier
olouie and RAD_PDX like this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
That doesn't necessarily mean they won't adjust EQM for qualifying tickets (i.e., those purchased prior to publication of the new chart).

I suspect it would be wholly impractical for them not to convert all existing tickets as of the conversion date, it would cause system chaos. Thus, the question is whether they will grandfather those that were purchased pre-announcement for purposes of EQM calculation. I don't think we have any facts indicating either way on that question.
Again, I think it's pretty clear what the plan is now based on what they have up on the site.

You bring up things such as grandfathering in old tickets, but that requires some assumption/speculation on your part (which is fine) as there is no mention of it. I'm trying to avoid that and go with what AS has stated. If I wanted to speculate, I might wonder why if converting all existing tickets as of the conversion date would cause system chaos, maybe grandfathering in old tickets would cause the same chaos? Hopefully, we are worrying about nothing, this will be chalked up to poor communication, and tickets purchased before this announcement will earn the COS bonus people expected when they bought them.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You bring up things such as grandfathering in old tickets, but that requires some assumption/speculation on your part (which is fine) as there is no mention of it.
Those of us who have been through this exact scenario before with UA (e.g., the reduction of P fare earnings, referenced upthread) have learned not to declare the sky is falling until there's confirmation from the airline that it actually is. I would be very surprised if AS doesn't do the right thing here.
If I wanted to speculate, I might wonder why if converting all existing tickets as of the conversion date would cause system chaos, maybe grandfathering in old tickets would cause the same chaos?
You could either write code for that based on purchase date or fix them manually.
FlyingBear, NoLaGent and jaloola like this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
Those of us who have been through this exact scenario before with UA (e.g., the reduction of P fare earnings, referenced upthread) have learned not to declare the sky is falling until there's confirmation from the airline that it actually is. I would be very surprised if AS doesn't do the right thing here.
You could either write code for that based on purchase date or fix them manually.
I hope you are right and I hope it is that easy
FlyingBear and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 4:14 pm

Programs: Yes
I received word back from AS:

• Changes are based solely on travel date
  • If a ticket was purchased prior to the announcement for post-3/30 travel, one may contact Customer Care to have the pre-3/30 CoS bonus awarded.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Old Jan 25, 2021, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by anteater
I received word back from AS:

• Changes are based solely on travel date
  • If a ticket was purchased prior to the announcement for post-3/30 travel, one may contact Customer Care to have the pre-3/30 CoS bonus awarded.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Thats a bit better. Did they respond via email or was this on the phone? I want to get written confirmation because its likely to be a flight to get miles adjusted after the fact.

Last edited by olouie; Jan 25, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Old Jan 25, 2021, 5:14 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by olouie
Thats a bit better. Did they response via email or was this on the phone? I want to get written confirmation because its likely to be a flight to get miles adjusted after the fact.
I reached out via email to a contact at AS.
eponymous_coward and pcoll like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.