Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Change to Fare Classes and Class of Service Bonuses (3/31/21)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change to Fare Classes and Class of Service Bonuses (3/31/21)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2021, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by lensovet
look a) they are a corporation and ultimately need to make $$$, b) MP is a program whose terms you agreed to. If you don’t like them, don’t participate. Or complain, that’s fine too. But to say that this is illegal or whatever – that’s just fake news.
Wait... who said it's illegal?
brizone likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 3:36 pm

look a) they are a corporation and ultimately need to make $$$, b) MP is a program whose terms you agreed to. If you don’t like them, don’t participate. Or complain, that’s fine too. But to say that this is illegal or whatever – that’s just fake news.
​​​​
Now you're one spreading fake news. Nobody is saying that this is illegal, just extremely bad faith and poor communication by AS. You're the one defending some nameless corporations instead of advocating for your rights.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 3:37 pm

Programs: A3*G, AS MVPG, UA, AA
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Wait... who said it's illegal?
unexpected, not right, whatever.

Announcing it by email would have been useful, but again, I struggle to think of a single precedent for something like this. Did they do this for any other earnings chart change in the past? Does any airline? Only thing I can think of is when DL and friends were completely removed.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
​​​​
Now you're one spreading fake news. Nobody is saying that this is illegal, just extremely bad faith and poor communication by AS. You're the one defending some nameless corporations instead of advocating for your rights.
you keep talking about rights. What rights? Have you bothered to read the MP terms, ever? You don’t even own your miles.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
But it was doable nevertheless? AS has enough resources to make it happen and they choose not to. They don't even send out any communication with those already booked in I about the lower earnings. I have to learn about this through ft. I'm so over people taking side of these greedy corporations instead of having some dignity and standing up for your own consumer rights.
I am troubled by those who find nothing wrong, or choose not to voice an opposition to a unilateral change to what is, essentially, a change in terms to a partially-performed contract. It isn't like the passenger can decide "That $199 ticket is now worth $175, so refund the difference" or "You broke the contract, I want a refund."

AS sold us a bill of goods on the days we respectively purchased our tickets. Just simply perform. Many of us have mapped out our travel and earnings strategies for the year. It isn't like a major storm just hit, the bridge washed out and the detour is 200 miles out of the way. The "major storm" was 2020.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 3:51 pm

you keep talking about rights. What rights? Have you bothered to read the MP terms, ever? You don’t even own your miles.
Ok you win. I have no consumer rights whatsoever. At least I have some agency instead of blindly bowing to the corporate overlords.
brizone likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Jan 24, 2021 at 4:08 pm Reason: Redact name reference.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 4:00 pm

Ok you win. I have no consumer rights whatsoever. At least I have some agency instead of blindly bowing to the corporate overlords.
I think the problem here is that you expected MP to be something other than gravy and are now disappointed to find out that that’s not the case.

Well, better late than never I guess. Meanwhile whenever I book my tickets more than 2-3 months out on any carrier, I’m fully aware that as far as earnings are concerned, I am taking a risk. 🤷‍♂️
pbd456 likes this.

Last edited by dayone; Jan 24, 2021 at 4:08 pm Reason: React name reference in quote.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I am troubled by those who find nothing wrong, or choose not to voice an opposition to a unilateral change to what is, essentially, a change in terms to a partially-performed contract. It isn't like the passenger can decide "That $199 ticket is now worth $175, so refund the difference" or "You broke the contract, I want a refund."

AS sold us a bill of goods on the days we respectively purchased our tickets. Just simply perform. Many of us have mapped out our travel and earnings strategies for the year. It isn't like a major storm just hit, the bridge washed out and the detour is 200 miles out of the way. The "major storm" was 2020.
again…did you read the MP contract? Perhaps you should and it would clarify a lot of the confusion you seem to be having.

Do these changes suck? You bet. Are they a breach of contract? Aka illegal? Hell no.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 4:02 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
is there a single airline on the planet that credits miles based on date of purchase instead of date of flight? I’ve seen many devaluations all over the world in different alliances and I have NEVER heard of miles posting based on purchase date. It doesn’t matter how much notice you’re given. And I’ve yet to see any airline give more than 6 months notice, and usually it’s even less than that.

I agree that this sucks, but I suspect the IT isn't even there to do what people want, and at the end of the day, this is how the game is played. It goes both for earning and spending btw, which is why it’s always dangerous to sit on too many miles, as award charts can change at any time.
When DL changed earnings with AM, DL respected the date. I believe that everyone did have to ask for retroactive credit.
You can add UA to that list. They did it based on purchase date when they had a similar change a few years back.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 4:05 pm

I find it hard not to agree with this.

Is what Alaska is doing legal / compatible with Terms & Conditions? I am sure it is.
Is it a great customer experience to do this, and on top of it without announcement? Hell no.
lensovet likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

again…did you read the MP contract? Perhaps you should and it would clarify a lot of the confusion you seem to be having.

Do these changes suck? You bet. Are they a breach of contract? Aka illegal? Hell no.
Breach of contract is not "aka illegal" as it is not a criminal act. I am not confused. But thank you for your concern. Besos.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 4:11 pm

Breach of contract is not "aka illegal" as it is not a criminal act. I am not confused. But thank you for your concern. Besos.
good lord, do you actually think that anything that’s illegal is a criminal act? Like failing to stop for a stop sign?

Setting aside that ridiculous assumption, even the more generous “against the law” isn’t the only meaning of the word illegal: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/illegal
Old Jan 24, 2021, 4:12 pm

I think the problem here is that you expected MP to be something other than gravy and are now disappointed to find out that that’s not the case.

Well, better late than never I guess. Meanwhile whenever I book my tickets more than 2-3 months out on any carrier, I’m fully aware that as far as earnings are concerned, I am taking a risk. 🤷‍♂️
In Russia maybe consumers are used to having no voice, but here in the US we tend to advocate for ourselves when corporations are doing shady stuff like this. I have no illusion about AS being gravy even though I have greatly enjoyed their CX F rate, but I can recognize when AS is being very consumer unfriendly and criticize them appropriately.
Eastbay1K likes this.

Last edited by AndyKehn; Jan 24, 2021 at 8:52 pm
Old Jan 24, 2021, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

good lord, do you actually think that anything that’s illegal is a criminal act? Like failing to stop for a stop sign?

Setting aside that ridiculous assumption, even the more generous “against the law” isn’t the only meaning of the word illegal: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/illegal
pcoll and RAD_PDX like this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would hope AS will announce that existing tix are grandfathered. Until we've had an official announcement on the subject, it's probably premature to be getting upset about losing the extra EQM on tix that have already been purchased. There will be plenty of time for that afterwards if AS in fact confirms it will be retroactively changing the terms of purchase without exception. That would be contrary to AS's usual manner of business, and most unfortunate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.