Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2021, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by FlyerDigits
You only need 40K miles on Alaska and partners as you referenced from the web page.
And it doesn't matter that you made the reservation on a partner's website for a partner flight as long as you specified AS as your mileage account?
Old Aug 15, 2021, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean
And it doesn't matter that you made the reservation on a partner's website for a partner flight as long as you specified AS as your mileage account?
Yes. Just be sure the fare class is eligible for Alaska earn (I've seen at least one Singapore bookable economy fare that has zero earn. It's not listed on the partner web page and I used the Alaska chat to confirm zero earn).

I'll also add that's the only way to do it for many international destinations. For example if I want to book a ticket from Anchorage to Tokyo on Japan Airlines it's impossible to make a cash booking on the Alaska web site (you can only book mileage bookings). If I'm on the Alaska booking page and type ANC in the "From" box and HND in the "To" box I get a pop up message that states "Select the Use Miles check box to search award destinations."

I think that's what you're asking.

I should also add that earlier this summer I used the American web site to book and fly my ANC-ORD-PIT itinerary on American. It took almost a week for my miles to appear in my Alaska account but they posted exactly as advertised.
vanillabean likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 12:50 am

Programs: AS MVP
If I book a F class ticket with a connection in Seattle onto a Q400 Y only cabin flight, do I get access to AS Lounge in Seattle? The SJC-SEA is booked in I and SEA-XXX is booked in B.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by flyingstudent
If I book a F class ticket with a connection in Seattle onto a Q400 Y only cabin flight, do I get access to AS Lounge in Seattle? The SJC-SEA is booked in I and SEA-XXX is booked in B.
Yes.
anteater and Bellerina like this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 8:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Originally Posted by Quail
Is standing by for a later flight possible when there is no SDC space?

I expect not, but I never actually asked or saw it addressed.

Excluding IRROPs/flat tire/etc.
I just noticed this in some AS fare rules:

B. STANDBY IS PERMITTED FOR EARLIER / LATER SAME
DAY FLIGHT OPERATED BY ALASKA AIRLINES / HORIZON
AIR INCLUDING FLIGHTS OPERATED ON BEHALF OF
ALASKA AIRLINES BETWEEN ANCHORAGE AND
DUTCH HARBOR / SKYWEST
So apparently this is allowed, though I'm still not sure how it works in practice.

They must do something before the originally scheduled flight, otherwise it's indistinguishable from a no show right? If they cancel you off of that one, is there risk of things going wrong later when standing by since there would be no confirmed seat at all?

And what if you don't clear for the last flight? Try the next morning, or cancel the res?
Old Aug 17, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: Yes
I just noticed this in some AS fare rules:

So apparently this is allowed, though I'm still not sure how it works in practice.

They must do something before the originally scheduled flight, otherwise it's indistinguishable from a no show right? If they cancel you off of that one, is there risk of things going wrong later when standing by since there would be no confirmed seat at all?

And what if you don't clear for the last flight? Try the next morning, or cancel the res?
Standby rules can vary based on the fare. Do you have the entire fare rules?
Old Aug 17, 2021, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by anteater
Standby rules can vary based on the fare. Do you have the entire fare rules?
Yes, GH2OAJMN SAN to NYC. Not sure how to post here without making a long post, but copied from ITA Matrix: https://pastebin.com/2A3R470i
Old Aug 17, 2021, 11:20 am

Yes, GH2OAJMN SAN to NYC. Not sure how to post here without making a long post, but copied from ITA Matrix: https://pastebin.com/2A3R470i
For this fare, you could if you meet the exception (Gold or higher, F/J/Y, or the shuttle markets). You're a 75K so you should be eligible. For the details and human-friendly words, link: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/travel-info/at-the-airport/same-day-flight-changes/same-day-standby

ticket that is eligible for a same day confirmed flight change, but space is not available on the desired flight to make a confirmed change.

ECONOMY NON-DISCOUNTABLE FARES
  1. NOTE - STANDBY NOT PERMITTED.
  2. .
  3. EXCEPTION - GOLD-LEVEL MILEAGE PLAN MEMBERS /
  4. CUSTOMERS CONFIRMED IN F/J/Y CLASS /
  5. PLUS ANY PASSENGER TRAVELING BETWEEN SEATTLE
  6. AND PORTLAND / BETWEEN ANCHORAGE AND FAIRBANKS/
  7. OR BETWEEN SEATTLE AND SPOKANE SHUTTLE
  8. MARKETS MAY STANDBY WITHOUT CHARGE AS
  9. AS NOTED BELOW. CUSTOMERS NOT QUALIFYING
  10. FOR FREE STANDBY MAY USE THE SAME DAY CONFIRMED
  11. FLIGHT CHANGE.
  12. .
  13. //STANDBY CONDITIONS FOR ELIGIBLE PASSENGERS//
  14. .
  15. A. PASSENGERS MUST BE HOLDING CONFIRMED
  16. RESERVATIONS AND TICKETS FOR FLIGHTS OPERATED BY
  17. BY ALASKA AIRLINES / HORIZON AIR INCLUDING FLIGHTS
  18. OPERATED ON BEHALF OF ALASKA AIRLINES BETWEEN
  19. ANCHORAGE AND DUTCH HARBOR / SKYWEST.
  20. .
  21. B. STANDBY IS PERMITTED FOR EARLIER / LATER SAME
  22. DAY FLIGHT OPERATED BY ALASKA AIRLINES / HORIZON
  23. AIR INCLUDING FLIGHTS OPERATED ON BEHALF OF
  24. ALASKA AIRLINES BETWEEN ANCHORAGE AND
  25. DUTCH HARBOR / SKYWEST
  26. .
  27. C. PASSENGERS BOOKED ON RED-EYE FLIGHTS BETWEEN
  28. MIDNIGHT AND 4AM MAY STANDBY THE CALENDAR DAY
  29. PRIOR.
  30. .
  31. D.STANDBY AVAILABLE ONLY FOR IDENTICAL ROUTINGS -
  32. SAME ORIGIN/ DESTINATION/ CONNECTION/ THRU CITY.
  33. CHANGES BETWEEN CO-TERMINALS ARE PROHIBITED.
  34. .
  35. E. STANDBY MAY BE REQUESTED VIA WEB CHECK-IN/
  36. AIRPORT KIOSK / OR AN AGENT AT THE AIRPORT.
Finkface likes this.

Last edited by anteater; Aug 17, 2021 at 1:19 pm
Old Aug 17, 2021, 11:42 am

For this fare, you could if you meet the exception (Gold or higher, F/J/Y, or the shuttle markets). You're a 75K so you should be eligible. For the details and human-friendly words, link: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...me-day-standby

Understood that it's allowed, but I'm confused about how it would work in practice so I've never dared to try:

Say there are two flights between the points. I'm confirmed on the AM one but want to standby for the PM one. I can't just no show for the AM one and show for the PM one and do nothing else, right?

Do I call ahead and get the AM one cancelled with some sort of change to the res that allows me to show up for the PM one? Then go through TSA as a standby pax? What happens if I don't clear for the PM one - is the res cancelled?

(Incidentally last time I called reservations a few days ago for something unrelated I asked how this would work and the phone agent said standing by for a later flight isn't possible, but clearly it is. If calling ahead as described above is the answer, then just HUCA until an agent knows what to do? Has anyone done this?)
Old Aug 17, 2021, 11:48 am

I personally haven’t exercised standby, but based on the wording you contact AS and request to exercise the standby option. I would guess that they remove you from your original flight and issue you a new standby ticket for the new flight. So, you’d show up for the new flight only.

How it works in practice, we need another seasoned FT’s help.

edit looks like I was wrong

Here is some information from one of the veterans here:

For standby, I have only done it once for an earlier flight & requested it at the airport. It is basically a request for a SDC to an earlier flight where the flight is full, generally for MVPG+ on non-Saver fares but also available for paid F passengers and anyone on the shuttle markets.

At the airport, I requested standby at the gate. The Gate Agent added me to the awaiting seats list and as a 75K, I moved to the top of the list so you are prioritized. Your original flight stays intact. If they are able to confirm you on the flight, the Gate agent will give you a boarding pass. No further action is required with respect to your original flight. If they can't confirm you on the flight, your original flight is untouched.

I am not certain on standby for a later flight per the fare rules, I haven't seen that before. It does indicate the request can be made via the WEB, so likely not possible in the APP. Regardless, the fare rules seem to contradict the Standby provisions outlined on the website.

Functionally, I don't see how a standby to a later flight would work as you won't have a boarding pass until confirmed on the later flight. I don't think a boarding pass for an already departed flight would get you past TSA & if it is the last flight of the day you are standing by for & you don't clear you are kind of SOL.

I agree with the CSR that standby for a latter flight isn't possible if there isn't space to confirm a SDC.

Last edited by anteater; Aug 17, 2021 at 12:38 pm
Old Aug 17, 2021, 2:03 pm

I personally haven’t exercised standby, but based on the wording you contact AS and request to exercise the standby option. I would guess that they remove you from your original flight and issue you a new standby ticket for the new flight. So, you’d show up for the new flight only.

How it works in practice, we need another seasoned FT’s help.

edit looks like I was wrong

Here is some information from one of the veterans here:
I agree with that info for standing by for earlier flights. I do it surprisingly often by talking to the GA, and nearly always clear.

It works with TSA somehow since this is definitely possible on some domestic airlines, e.g. Delta from https://www.delta.com/us/en/change-c...flight-change:

• Silver Medallion Members, General SkyMiles Members and non-members may only fly Same-Day Standby for a flight that is earlier than their original flight
  • Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallion Members may standby for a flight any time on the same day as their original flight
I couldn't find any FT info for AS, but I found references for others (e.g. 1, 2).

Typically I SDC to the latest flight then standby for the one earlier than the new flight. I'll give a proper later-flight standby a shot sometime when I can afford to miss the trip and report back on whether it was successful.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
It works with TSA somehow since this is definitely possible on some domestic airlines, e.g. Delta from https://www.delta.com/us/en/change-c...flight-change:
People fly standby every day (particularly airline crew on personal travel and their guests). Having used a friend's buddy pass a few times, I know from experience that you're still given a boarding pass-like document (similar to a gate pass a parent of an unaccompanied minor would get as well) to clear security. It's just not a real boarding pass until you're confirmed on the flight w/ a seat assignment, usually just before the door closes and all other passengers have boarded. Note that these standby passes aren't typically accepted for lounge access.
simonsuo likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Mixed Cabin Itinerary

If I buy a paid FC ticket but it's only FC on one of the two legs do I get the FC bonus points on both legs and access to the AS lounges in all airports?
Old Aug 18, 2021, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by mtofell
If I buy a paid FC ticket but it's only FC on one of the two legs do I get the FC bonus points on both legs and access to the AS lounges in all airports?
Class of service bonus only on legs where you're in that class of service. I believe AS lounge access would be permitted at all airports from your FC boarding pass, provided it's the same day - just show your FC leg boarding pass at check-in. From AS Lounge policies:
  • Passengers traveling on a paid First Class or a First Class award ticket* on flights operated by Alaska Airlines have access to Alaska Lounge locations only on their day of flight. These fares do not include entrance for family or guests not traveling in First Class. These fares also do not include entrance agreements into other airline clubrooms. To access the Alaska Lounge, passengers must show their same-day First Class boarding pass to the Alaska Lounge Staff. Passengers upgraded to First Class, (booked in U class of service) whether complimentary, paid, or using miles do not have complimentary access to the Alaska Lounge.
mtofell likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2021, 12:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by mtofell
Bonus miles only on segments flown in F, yes you get access at all airports.
anteater and mtofell like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.