Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Jul 18, 2021, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, National EE
Thanks for your input about AS Lounge access on connecting flights. I have another question about TSA security lines.

The Visa card we have with our credit union will reimburse our cost of TSA Precheck ($85 each) or Global Entry ($100 each). My wife and I can both do this. Obviously the latter takes more time -- I've heard as much as 6 months compared to 2-3 weeks for domestic pre-check. I understand that Global Entry includes Precheck. We are flying on first class (I) PDX-SFO in late September. AS says there are some airports where you can get expedited/priority security on first class. Does that include PDX (I suspect so) and SFO (maybe)? Because if we do get priority screening on first class, we can wait a few months for Global Entry.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 12:03 am

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Originally Posted by ziggy29
Does that include PDX (I suspect so) and SFO (maybe)? Because if we do get priority screening on first class, we can wait a few months for Global Entry.
Yes, you get priority screening at both PDX and SFO if you are flying First Class.
If you ever travel abroad, get Global Entry. It's worth the hassle.
If you never fly to other countries, just get Pre✓.
If you weren't PDX based, I would also recommend CLEAR.

I have had Global Entry since 2013, am Gold 75K, fly First Class every week, and am a CLEAR member. Most days Pre✓ is faster than the "security-express-lines", which accept both Elites and First Class.

Tomorrow I will be in PDX and can watch the different lines. You can also download the MyTSA app to see live wait times at every airport. I was in SFO last week and Pre✓ was faster than the "security-express-lines", but all of these are better than general screening.
pcoll likes this.

Last edited by Guate87; Jul 19, 2021 at 12:11 am
Old Jul 19, 2021, 12:52 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, AA Exec Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United 1K
I have 3K in my wallet account and I moved to a city where Alaska's network isn't the best. What should I do in this case? Do I have any options other than just booking Alaska flights at all?
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:25 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by flyjfk
I have 3K in my wallet account and I moved to a city where Alaska's network isn't the best. What should I do in this case? Do I have any options other than just booking Alaska flights at all?
Nope, new ticket purchases only. Use them for family/friends?
Old Jul 19, 2021, 11:03 pm

Programs: TK C+, AA/AS nothing, BA nothing
Not sure if this is the right place to post but here's my problem - due to the recent major schedule changes made by AS, our LAX-LAS flight got moved from a 6:05pm departure to a 7:55am departure. The problem is that as of now, that is the only AS flight on this route. We are connecting @ LAX from a PVR flight, so the new departure is definitely not working for us. The agent refused to put us on an AA non-stop flight with a similar departure as our original flight, and insisted that we have to connect thru SEA - but with the new schedules, even the SEA connection won't work for us. The agent just said that if I'm not happy with her option, she can just refund the flight (I can't, it's part of a package). I was expecting her to be more accommodating given the situation. What can I do?
Old Jul 19, 2021, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by LAX21
Not sure if this is the right place to post but here's my problem - due to the recent major schedule changes made by AS, our LAX-LAS flight got moved from a 6:05pm departure to a 7:55am departure. The problem is that as of now, that is the only AS flight on this route. We are connecting @ LAX from a PVR flight, so the new departure is definitely not working for us. The agent refused to put us on an AA non-stop flight with a similar departure as our original flight, and insisted that we have to connect thru SEA - but with the new schedules, even the SEA connection won't work for us. The agent just said that if I'm not happy with her option, she can just refund the flight (I can't, it's part of a package). I was expecting her to be more accommodating given the situation. What can I do?
Ouch!

Did you try Hang-Up-Call-Again? (HUCA)

who did you book the package through?
Old Jul 19, 2021, 11:56 pm

I haven't tried HUCA yet, as the current wait times are over 1:30 hours. The package is thru Costco Travel and they have horrendous wait times as well...
Old Jul 21, 2021, 12:10 am

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
PDX Pre✓, Premier, and General security lanes were all quick, from fastest to faster to fast. No slowpokes here.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by safari ari
#WengerOut
COYS
How many posts do I need to unlock the "dislike" button? Or is that maybe on the horizon as a 100k tier perk?
zdfld likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 9:36 am

I was on British Airways LHR-SEA flight on 11am for a date in September, bought using Alaska miles.
BA cancelled that flight. They do have LHR-SEA flight running same day on 2:30pm, but it is not available with alaska miles currently. Is there any way to get reprotected on this flight or do I have to accept a refund?

Are there any special words I can say about liason etc to get me protected on the 2:30pm flight?
Klrduks likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
I was on British Airways LHR-SEA flight on 11am for a date in September, bought using Alaska miles.
BA cancelled that flight. They do have LHR-SEA flight running same day on 2:30pm, but it is not available with alaska miles currently. Is there any way to get reprotected on this flight or do I have to accept a refund?

Are there any special words I can say about liason etc to get me protected on the 2:30pm flight?
I dont have experience with BA flights, but if this happened with AS metal, I know I would say, Hi, due to a schedule change resulting in a cancelled flight I am requesting that I be moved to this flight X

They cancelled the flight, so I would hope they would accommodate by putting you on the next closest one.

Let us know how it goes!
Klrduks likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by nomiiiii

I think AA is now also operating a non-stop LHR-SEA (AA155, 10:05am on the day I checked), so that might be an option to ask for as well. I assume there is no award space on this one either, so AS would presumably have to contact either BA or AA to ask for space to be opened.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Jul 21, 2021 at 10:18 am
Old Jul 21, 2021, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I think AA is now also operating a non-stop LHR-SEA (AA155, 10:05am on the day I checked), so that might be an option to ask for as well. I assume there is no award space on this one either, so AS would presumably have to contact either BA or AA to ask for space to be opened.
Yes there's no space on that either, which is why I was wondering if what I'll ask alaska is even possible - typically partners won't open up award space, but maybe this time they'll make an exception.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX21
I haven't tried HUCA yet, as the current wait times are over 1:30 hours. The package is thru Costco Travel and they have horrendous wait times as well...
Since Costco is your travel agent, I suspect that going through them is the way to go.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Since Costco is your travel agent, I suspect that going through them is the way to go.
After more than 5 hours of being on hold and getting disconnected with Costco, when I finally got an agent she said that I can cancel w/o penalty. I explained to her that I don't want to cancel since the package is now almost double what I initially paid, I just want to be rebooked on another flight that day. They said that they cannot book "just flights". Tried HUCA and after another 2.5 hours (!!) I got someone else that told me they don't know what to do and that they'll get back to me in "a few days"
I called AS again but they keep saying that they can't touch the reservation for *voluntary* changes and I keep explaining to them that this is not a voluntary change. AS insists that they can only rebook me on another AS flight.
To make matters worse, this is part of our honeymoon trip...

Last edited by LAX21; Jul 21, 2021 at 1:32 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.