Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Sep 10, 2021, 10:52 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by the42ndstate
I booked a F award flight and the fare code is E. It is a discounted F award, but Iíve never seen E before nor does E show on the fare class charts. Assuming I will still have Lounge access.
E seems to be the new first class award bucket. I had it on an award flight last week. Lounge access shouldn't be a problem.
mildfrequence and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 5:38 pm

I'm currently MVP Gold (earned in 2020), but will likely be a trip or two short of reaching that status again this year. If I'm not able to make any mileage runs towards the end of the year, does Alaska ever offer any second chance options? I seem to remember seeing something about being offered the option to buy your way up with miles if you were close enough at the end of the year but I couldn't find any references to that any more.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 6:06 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by sizzlersam
I'm currently MVP Gold (earned in 2020), but will likely be a trip or two short of reaching that status again this year. If I'm not able to make any mileage runs towards the end of the year, does Alaska ever offer any second chance options? I seem to remember seeing something about being offered the option to buy your way up with miles if you were close enough at the end of the year but I couldn't find any references to that any more.
AS has offered buy up options toward the end of the year for cash, though I don't know how close you have to be in order to be eligible for one.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 6:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by sizzlersam
Depending on where you are based you can still get some very inexpensive tickets on AS before the 50% EQM bonus ends at the end of September. If you are considering buying up with miles I would just look for a ~$250 tcon ticket. You'll earn miles worth about that amount plus the EQM. If they bring back the Russell Wilson discount it could be even lower.

If you are >7.5K miles short of Gold I don't think you'll be able to buy up at the end of the year. I'd take advantage of the EQM bonus and make sure it happens. But... I'm currently on a mileage run to get over the nonexistent 100K tier so maybe I'm not providing the most rational perspective.
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 6:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Does AS have a policy on the size of your "personal carryon item?" All I can find on the website is that it must fit under the seat in front of you. In poking around the net I found some airlines have actual measurements but it looks like AS doesn't?

I'm looking at replacing my backpack and want to get the biggest one possible.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell
Does AS have a policy on the size of your "personal carryon item?" All I can find on the website is that it must fit under the seat in front of you. In poking around the net I found some airlines have actual measurements but it looks like AS doesn't?

There is no published limit but AA's rule of 18 x 14 x 8 inches is probably a good metric to follow. I have a fairly rigid backpack that measures 12 x 17 x 8 and it seems to fit perfectly under the F seats without having to be squished. I don't think you could go much more than 8 inches in depth though without having to compress it.
FlyerDigits and mtofell like this.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 10:47 pm

In poking around the net I found some airlines have actual measurements but it looks like AS doesn't?
For reference there are also some international carriers that place a weight limit on the carry on too
Old Sep 11, 2021, 12:20 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by FlyerDigits
For reference there are also some international carriers that place a weight limit on the carry on too
This one I'm actually familiar with. At least as far as AS is concerned. I'm moving the Maui from Portland and my wife insisted we bring a (huge) set of antique dinnerware. No way she'd trust the movers. So, my twin 11 year-olds and I loaded up three carryon bags and hauled them over. It felt like I was loading bags of concrete into the overhead bin. I spread the bags out to three different bins just to be sure. Realistically, they weren't that heavy but definitely more than your average carryon. Each one was around 50-60#. All told, I got the whole set over and only broke one saucer (she's still pissed )
Old Sep 11, 2021, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by FlyerDigits
and some actually enforce them. I recall a Swiss gate agent walking around the waiting passengers at the SFO gate weighing their rolls boards. Lots of them too heavy, of course. Fortunately the device needed new batteries or something just before she got to us, and then boarding started.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 1:58 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle

I have several backpacks that I use, two are rolling type with one that was specifically purchased to fit in a Q400 overhead bin (the height when laying flat does not exceed 9") and also a standard backpack. I would consider the height of your packpack when it is laying flat as under "some" seats it will not fit. The other roller backpack I use does not fit under any seat. I use the overhead bins for both rolling backpacks when on the airbus or 737s with the standard backpack under the seat. The standard backpack also fits into the single aisle side in FC on the E175s.
mtofell likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 3:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Im flying Detroit to Seattle in October. What are the chances of an MVP being upgrade to first class? If I select premium economy then will I have a better chance at being upgraded?
Old Sep 11, 2021, 3:30 pm

Edit..

Last edited by Cthunder86; Sep 11, 2021 at 3:31 pm Reason: Mistake double message
Old Sep 11, 2021, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Cthunder86
Im flying Detroit to Seattle in October. What are the chances of an MVP being upgrade to first class? If I select premium economy then will I have a better chance at being upgraded?
Selecting PC now will have no impact on your upgrade chances. I'd say maybe a 20% chance? It's a total guess, no one can know for sure. The best ways to "improve" your guess are to consider:
1) How full is F now?
2) How full is PC now?
3) How full are the elite-only seats now?
4) What is the upgrade list like for today's flight (there are 8 on it)
5) What does U space look like for the next week?
6) What will travel demand look like in a month?

Obviously, some questions are harder to answer than others. Predicting upgrades, especially at the MVP level is very difficult and it's best to assume it won't happen. Treat each instance as a pleasant surprise.

Also, I see some open U space into October. Check and see if it is there for your date and head to the coupon connection and see if you can trade for a GGU.
Cthunder86 and mildfrequence like this.
Old Sep 11, 2021, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Selecting PC now will have no impact on your upgrade chances. I'd say maybe a 20% chance? It's a total guess, no one can know for sure. The best ways to "improve" your guess are to consider:
1) How full is F now?
2) How full is PC now?
3) How full are the elite-only seats now?
4) What is the upgrade list like for today's flight (there are 8 on it)
5) What does U space look like for the next week?
6) What will travel demand look like in a month?

Obviously, some questions are harder to answer than others. Predicting upgrades, especially at the MVP level is very difficult and it's best to assume it won't happen. Treat each instance as a pleasant surprise.

Also, I see some open U space into October. Check and see if it is there for your date and head to the coupon connection and see if you can trade for a GGU.
I appreciate the explanation.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 4:14 pm

Question about OneWorld benefits and partner points redemptions. If I'm 75k AS Gold, and I book BA Avios redemption on AA metal, can I add my AS number to the flight and get benefits like free bags and priority boarding? In the past I was able to add my AA# to an avios booking on AA metal and utilize the free bag via credit card, but I plan to have AS status soon and wanted the additional OW benefits over just the CC. I don't know if you can mix/match various points/metal/OW benefits. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.