Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Sep 1, 2021, 2:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by gaobest
thank you!
it’s discounted F fare. Booked in June.
what is best way to cancel?
I'd say website is best, though app might also work. Easier if you have an AS account/ MP# already so it can drop it right into wallet. Probably will take you 1-2 mins - just goto reservation, click cancel above itinerary details
FlyerDigits and Bellerina like this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 8:30 am

If I fly NYE on Alaska metal to requalify status, will I have maintained my status for the return flight a few days later? Or will it take some time to update?
Old Sep 2, 2021, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by godlovesugly
If I fly NYE on Alaska metal to requalify status, will I have maintained my status for the return flight a few days later? Or will it take some time to update?
If I fly what I originally booked then my Alaska mileage activity on Alaska metal *usually* posts to my Alaska account before I get off the plane. If I recall correctly the times I've had to request mileage credits were when I did a same day flight change.
godlovesugly likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Had a trip booked that involved an E175 segment. Paid $25 for Premium Class upgrade per person. Recent schedule change switched us to Q400.

1. seems AS isn't automatically refunding the PC upgrade when the aircraft is switched? (pretty annoying, frankly)

2. Tried to reach out via SMS chat, but that kept getting timed out (on their end). Anyone else have had success with that route to reach reservations reliably?

3. I sent email to [email protected] -- no auto-reply or any other response, but it's only 3 days. How long should I expect this to take?
Old Sep 2, 2021, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Had a trip booked that involved an E175 segment. Paid $25 for Premium Class upgrade per person. Recent schedule change switched us to Q400.

1. seems AS isn't automatically refunding the PC upgrade when the aircraft is switched? (pretty annoying, frankly)

2. Tried to reach out via SMS chat, but that kept getting timed out (on their end). Anyone else have had success with that route to reach reservations reliably?

3. I sent email to [email protected] -- no auto-reply or any other response, but it's only 3 days. How long should I expect this to take?
I would give Twitter a shot if you are in a hurry. The email might take up to a week. That said, it should be straight forward and I imagine the refund will be pushed through without any issues.
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I would give Twitter a shot if you are in a hurry. The email might take up to a week. That said, it should be straight forward and I imagine the refund will be pushed through without any issues.
I have used Twitter in the past, but more recently for a different refund they told me:

”Hi, please contact Reservations to process this refund request.
-<Agent>”

Waiting a week or so is fine.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 3:45 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Usually Twitter team won't handle any payment related issues that have to deal with a charge, I guess I could see them also not wanting to handle refunds now.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 5:40 pm

I have some question abou the ticket prices?

Sometimes I see Premium Class Upgrade more expensive than Main + cost of actually selecting Premium Class seat
or First Class Upgrade more expensive than First Class seat

Is there any point in selecting the upgrade in these cases?
Old Sep 2, 2021, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by wahoyaho
I have some question abou the ticket prices?

Sometimes I see Premium Class Upgrade more expensive than Main + cost of actually selecting Premium Class seat
or First Class Upgrade more expensive than First Class seat

Is there any point in selecting the upgrade in these cases?
I would say not usually, especially for the first class scenario (outright first class purchase earns more EQM & RDM). One exception type scenario I can think of is if an elite member wants to try to increase their standing in the first class upgrade queue (status level, then fare class).
be_rettSEA and mildfrequence like this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 5:30 pm

first bag free credit card benefits

I've looked through both the Alaska Airlines and the American Airlines web sites but have yet to find info an answer to these two questions ...

If you have a BofA Alaska Airlines Visa card with the first bag free benefit and your flights are on Alaska Airlines, do you still get that first bag free benefit if your ticket is a mileage award trip bought using AA miles and booked on the AA.com site? If so, how does this work and does the pax need to do anything at booking on aa.com and/or check in with AS to make it happen?

Similarly, do AA Barclay's or Citibank credit card holders get those CCs "first free bag" benefits when booking AA flights using Alaska Mileage Plan miles on the alaskaair.com site?
Old Sep 4, 2021, 9:35 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Quokka
I've looked through both the Alaska Airlines and the American Airlines web sites but have yet to find info an answer to these two questions ...

If you have a BofA Alaska Airlines Visa card with the first bag free benefit and your flights are on Alaska Airlines, do you still get that first bag free benefit if your ticket is a mileage award trip bought using AA miles and booked on the AA.com site? If so, how does this work and does the pax need to do anything at booking on aa.com and/or check in with AS to make it happen?

Similarly, do AA Barclay's or Citibank credit card holders get those CCs "first free bag" benefits when booking AA flights using Alaska Mileage Plan miles on the alaskaair.com site?
If you have the AS Visa and your AS MP number is on your reservation, you will get the free checked back benefit regardless of how you booked it. This only works if your first flight is on AS and you check in with AS.

An AA expert will have to answer the Barclay/Citi question.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by PDXpress
If you have the AS Visa and your AS MP number is on your reservation, you will get the free checked back benefit regardless of how you booked it. This only works if your first flight is on AS and you check in with AS.
The flight is on AS and check in will be with AS, but when the ticket for the Alaska flight is booked as a reward flight using AA miles on aa.com, the AA Advantage account number used to pay for the ticket is hardcoded in during the award trip purchase. Then after booking, the AA account number appears to be locked with no ability to change the FF program and account number online via aa.com.

Is there some way to modify the FF account number using the Alaska Airlines web site for these types of bookings? Or can AS call center, email or check in agents modify the FF program and account number?

I imagine there's are similar issues if/when the pax has MVP / MVP Gold, etc status on AS, but the ticket for the AS flight(s) is purchased on aa.com using AA miles.

Last edited by Quokka; Sep 4, 2021 at 1:37 pm
Old Sep 4, 2021, 2:00 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Quokka
I imagine there's are similar issues if/when the pax has MVP / MVP Gold, etc status on AS, but the ticket for the AS flight(s) is purchased on aa.com using AA miles.
I had that situation a few weeks ago. I Tweeted the AA Twitter rep and he was able (once the itin was ticketed) to put my MVPG # in the record so I could pick the best seats.
Quokka and FlyerDigits like this.

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 4, 2021 at 5:45 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 4, 2021, 4:47 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat, Chase Sapphire, Alaska
Want to reach out to AS about several trip changes resulting in unexpected overnight stays--not really complaining but just want it to go somewhere. Not sure what channel would be best to contact them. I'm on the website and the "start chat" link refreshes the page, but doesn't bring up a chat box. Any suggestions? Test/Twitter/email/???

TIA
Old Sep 4, 2021, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by Buddy16
Not sure what channel would be best to contact them.

TIA
For several impacted trips I would call.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.