FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2031714-2021-alaska-airlines-flame-free-q-thread-all-welcome-new-old.html)

Flying for Fun Jan 2, 2021 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 32933103)
Welcome to 2021! Another year of *FLAME-FREE* questions and answers!

You are a day late! Is that why you are a rustykettel? :p I asked the Mods to make it a sticky. :)

Happy New Year.... plus 1 day.

James

rustykettel Jan 3, 2021 12:26 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun (Post 32933342)
You are a day late! Is that why you are a rustykettel? :p I asked the Mods to make it a sticky. :)

Happy New Year.... plus 1 day.

James

Hah!

I didn't notice the yearly thread hadn't been created until today, so only 364 days for this one. :D

Flying for Fun Jan 3, 2021 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 32933381)
Hah!

I didn't notice the yearly thread hadn't been created until today, so only 364 days for this one. :D

This thread has gone rusty! Now a sticky!

James

anteater Jan 4, 2021 5:17 pm

I知 not sure where else to offer this, but this thread seems best.

I値l have the opportunity to pass along feedback to management in a week or two. DM me if you have any particular feedback or comments for Alaska regarding their operations or loyalty program.

Once I get an official reply to everything I値l post a single thread with the Q / Feedback and Responses.

Hope everyone had a good NYE!

tobikosan Jan 4, 2021 7:19 pm

I am looking to book a mileage ticket from LIH-DUB that looks like this LIH-SEA stopover SEA-EWR/JFK-DUB. I had a phone agent do her best but could not make the stop in SEA only in Hub of Aer Lingus. Any thioughts? Hang up call again?

rustykettel Jan 4, 2021 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by tobikosan (Post 32938746)
I am looking to book a mileage ticket from LIH-DUB that looks like this LIH-SEA stopover SEA-EWR/JFK-DUB. I had a phone agent do her best but could not make the stop in SEA only in Hub of Aer Lingus. Any thioughts? Hang up call again?

It's probably either an issue with changing coterminals or the layover length in NYC is actually a stopover. LIH-SEA/SEA-JFK-DUB is bookable on the website:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...942f79cc3.jpeg

tobikosan Jan 4, 2021 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 32938919)
It's probably either an issue with changing coterminals or the layover length in NYC is actually a stopover. LIH-SEA/SEA-JFK-DUB is bookable on the website:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...942f79cc3.jpeg

Would it make a difference that I was looking to book the same routing in coach but the one that costs 35K not 65K?

NoLaGent Jan 5, 2021 7:02 am

Originally Posted by damnyourefine (Post 32938447)
I知 not sure where else to offer this, but this thread seems best.

I値l have the opportunity to pass along feedback to management in a week or two. DM me if you have any particular feedback or comments for Alaska regarding their operations or loyalty program.

Once I get an official reply to everything I値l post a single thread with the Q / Feedback and Responses.

Hope everyone had a good NYE!

My requests are simple!

PLEASE bring back spirits, at least for the F cabin at a minimum. AA, UA & B6 have no issue with this, it can be easily done.

And increase the catering menu rotation! Or here's a novel idea, implement what they used to do where there was a Northbound/Westbound menu and a Southbound/Eastbound menu so that you don't have to eat the same thing on a roundtrip.

rustykettel Jan 5, 2021 7:14 am

Originally Posted by tobikosan (Post 32939127)
Would it make a difference that I was looking to book the same routing in coach but the one that costs 35K not 65K?

I don't think it should, but does it at least appear with the higher mileage price if you try multi city search and put in LIH-SEA//SEA-DUB on your dates? Have you checked award availability for all segments on your preferred stopover dates? The AS segments need to be in saver to pair with a partner award.

tobikosan Jan 5, 2021 11:10 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 32939897)
I don't think it should, but does it at least appear with the higher mileage price if you try multi city search and put in LIH-SEA//SEA-DUB on your dates? Have you checked award availability for all segments on your preferred stopover dates? The AS segments need to be in saver to pair with a partner award.

I'm not the best at this to be sure but I think so. The agents tell me that the problem is with Aer Lingus that they will not allow the stopover to be in anything but the "gateway city" meaning EWR or JFK. When I ask if I can book the mileage ticket which shows for 30K SEA to DUB which flies SEA-EWR-DUB and add on a connecting flight from LIH-SEA I am told I cannot. There is a non stop Aer Lingus SEA-DUB but for way more miles and my thinking anyway is to break up the flight and do the first half SEA-EWR in a likely upgraded becasue of status AS metal seat. Thank for your help

Sky Dreamer Jan 5, 2021 11:28 am

Between January and April of 2020 I flew 41,000 miles on Alaska and partner airlines with more than four segments on Alaska. I earned MVP last year. Alaska stated that the EQMs from that four month period would be rolled over to 2021 to earn status for 2022. Given the partner mileage reduction requirements for 2021- it looks like I should be automatically MVP Gold starting in January 2021. Looking at my account page- it still has me as an MVP.

So am I right that I should be MVP Gold or am I missing something? Also what's the best way to contact Alaska to rectify this?

Finkface Jan 5, 2021 11:36 am

Originally Posted by tobikosan (Post 32940569)
I'm not the best at this to be sure but I think so. The agents tell me that the problem is with Aer Lingus that they will not allow the stopover to be in anything but the "gateway city" meaning EWR or JFK. When I ask if I can book the mileage ticket which shows for 30K SEA to DUB which flies SEA-EWR-DUB and add on a connecting flight from LIH-SEA I am told I cannot. There is a non stop Aer Lingus SEA-DUB but for way more miles and my thinking anyway is to break up the flight and do the first half SEA-EWR in a likely upgraded becasue of status AS metal seat. Thank for your help

I think the problem might be that the SEA-EWR flight arrives at 1555 and the JFK-DUB flight leaves at 1815. Not enough time to do it on the same day (and below MCT) so it means the connection is +24 hours, which turns it into a second stopover. You can have the stopover in SEA provided you then fly into and out of JFK to DUB. So the problem isn’t where the stopover is but the fact that you are trying to have two of them on a one way ticket.

And anything EWR-DUB goes via SEA or SFO so you are backtracking big time. Where did you see SEA-EWR-DUB?

rustykettel Jan 5, 2021 11:42 am

Originally Posted by Sharice SB (Post 32940636)
Between January and April of 2020 I flew 41,000 miles on Alaska and partner airlines with more than four segments on Alaska. I earned MVP last year. Alaska stated that the EQMs from that four month period would be rolled over to 2021 to earn status for 2022. Given the partner mileage reduction requirements for 2021- it looks like I should be automatically MVP Gold starting in January 2021. Looking at my account page- it still has me as an MVP.

So am I right that I should be MVP Gold or am I missing something? Also what's the best way to contact Alaska to rectify this?

In addition to the miles rolling over, you'll need to meet the new Alaska segment requirements for 2022 qualification (which started Jan 1) in addition to the reduced mileage. Segments are not rolled over so those must be flown after Jan 1.

There's been some discussion about the new 2022 qualification requirements along with 2020 miles not having rolled over yet over in https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2031581-2021-carryover-miles.html

tobikosan Jan 5, 2021 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 32940665)
I think the problem might be that the SEA-EWR flight arrives at 1555 and the JFK-DUB flight leaves at 1815. Not enough time to do it on the same day (and below MCT) so it means the connection is +24 hours, which turns it into a second stopover. You can have the stopover in SEA provided you then fly into and out of JFK to DUB. So the problem isn稚 where the stopover is but the fact that you are trying to have two of them on a one way ticket.

And anything EWR-DUB goes via SEA or SFO so you are backtracking big time. Where did you see SEA-EWR-DUB?

Thank you for your response. I misspoke. I was trying to get the 35K miles and $19 LIH-SEA-JFK-DUB with a stop in SEA. That was the itinerary that the agent kept going back and forth with her superior and the Aer Lingus desk as to why it could not be done. Looking at that flight alone on say June 4th, do you think there is a way to do a stop over in SEA then fly on the scheduled flight SEA-JFK-DUB? THX

Finkface Jan 5, 2021 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by tobikosan (Post 32942304)
Thank you for your response. I misspoke. I was trying to get the 35K miles and $19 LIH-SEA-JFK-DUB with a stop in SEA. That was the itinerary that the agent kept going back and forth with her superior and the Aer Lingus desk as to why it could not be done. Looking at that flight alone on say June 4th, do you think there is a way to do a stop over in SEA then fly on the scheduled flight SEA-JFK-DUB? THX

It appears it is your dates that are the problem. When you look at the award charts and select Hawaii to Europe with no date filters, it shows Aer Lingus mileage levels. When you filter it by date to show only May 16 to October 14, no award levels are shown. So it seems you cannot use an Aer Lingus award from Hawaii to Europe between May 16 and October 14. That is my best guess as I can make it work before May.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...51f22b1f2a.png
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...9c8710d559.png