Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Aug 24, 2021, 2:52 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by adaemus

1) When folks are talking about bonus mileages I'm seeing reference to 'COS'. What does this mean?

2) Does this mean if I flew 125k miles on British, for example, but not a single flight on Alaska that I would not qualify for any level of MVP?
1: class of service. Its the fare class (letter) on your ticket. Check the earn rate charts for each airline to find the earn rate/bonus for your ticketed fare.

2. correct. [unnecessary snark removed]

Last edited by imaflyertalkuserwow; Aug 24, 2021 at 3:03 pm
Old Aug 24, 2021, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by imaflyertalkuserwow
1: class of service. Its the fare class (letter) on your ticket. Check the earn rate charts for each airline to find the earn rate/bonus for your ticketed fare.

2. correct. For some reason you are required to patronize the airline.
Thanks for the answers. As far as patronizing the airline...they did not require it for years so was just asking for clarification on the subject.

Living in Seattle I do patronize them for personal travel but most of my business travel is international and hence typically on a partner airline. This just means having to maybe take a quick trip to Portland once or twice to ensure I hit the new segment requirement.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 3:03 pm

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by adaemus
I've got a couple of questions that I'm hoping some of the experts here can answer.

1) When folks are talking about bonus mileages I'm seeing reference to 'COS'. What does this mean? I'm a MVPG75K and I'm looking to hit this tier again for 2022. I'm already at 39k miles rolled over from last year and I'm based out of Seattle. I see that the Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale flight appears to be one of the longest round trip flights that I can take and return on the same day even. How many elite qualifying miles would a round trip from SEA to FLL provide?

2) Before COVID I traveled internationally frequently for work. I've always hit the 90k miles needed for MVPG75K. I'm seeing references to changes in the MVP program this year where the mileage on partner airlines is only 75k now but you HAVE to also have a minimum of 6 segments flown on Alaska airplanes itself. Is this correct? Does this mean if I flew 125k miles on British, for example, but not a single flight on Alaska that I would not qualify for any level of MVP?

Thank You
1 a) COS stands for "Class of Service", and it refers to the bonus you receive for booking a certain fare class. This could be a redeemable mile bonus (RDM bonus) and/or a elite qualifying mile bonus (EQM bonus). For example, First class typically has a COS bonus for both RDM and EQM.

1 b) At a basic level for the EQM from SEA-FLL, you get 100% of the distance in actual miles. The Alaska booking page shows you the miles, but it's easiest to search on gcmap (there might be a few miles of variance between them). You could have a COS bonus, in which case you'd multiply as needed. Let's say you flew in I class. You get a 50% bonus, which means your EQM for SEA-FLL-SEA would be roughly 5,400 x 1.5 = 8,100 EQM. Keep in mind there's a 50% bonus promotion going on, but I'm not sure if the promo bonus is based on base miles or total miles.

2) Yes, you're correct.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by imaflyertalkuserwow
Earning on flights marketed by Alaska Airlines, and operated by American
Airlines (flights purchased as Alaska Airlines flights (AS) 4000-4799, 6000-6999 and 8001-8100) earn miles based on the Alaska Airlines earning chart.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rican-airlines
Yeah I totally get it, but it looks like I am being sold AA1096 since that is the primary flight number shown. I guess you are confirming that this is in fact being sold as AS6271?
Old Aug 24, 2021, 9:43 pm

spgaston I can't speak from personal experience, and I'll always advocate getting in touch with Alaska if you want to be 100% sure, but here's the way I think about it.

And this is literally the way I think about it, no sarcasm or snark here. Here is a situation where you go to the Alaska web site and you book a ticket to get from SJC-ORD and back. Alaska will sell you that ticket, issue an Alaska ticket number, let you enter your Alaska frequent flyer number, and credit you with Alaska miles just as if you were flying on Alaska. It just so happens that they are leveraging American to make the actual travel happen. It's marketed by Alaska but operated by American so they give you the Alaska flight number (that's what you're buying) but then they also give you the American flight number because they're they ones making it happen. And the footnote on the Alaska web site backs all of that up. I picked a random date of October 6th, one-way, from SJC-ORD, and get a Main price of $165.

Now that probably seems too good to be true because you can go to the American web site and pick the exact same flight and get a Main Cabin price of $163. But if you credit to Alaska then you'll only get the partial mileage, not the full mileage. And no bonus EQM (assuming you fly by the end of September). I'm with you, I'd pay the extra $2.

The airline business is strange, in more ways than one.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 9:51 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by FlyerDigits
spgaston I can't speak from personal experience, and I'll always advocate getting in touch with Alaska if you want to be 100% sure, but here's the way I think about it.

And this is literally the way I think about it, no sarcasm or snark here. Here is a situation where you go to the Alaska web site and you book a ticket to get from SJC-ORD and back. Alaska will sell you that ticket, issue an Alaska ticket number, let you enter your Alaska frequent flyer number, and credit you with Alaska miles just as if you were flying on Alaska. It just so happens that they are leveraging American to make the actual travel happen. It's marketed by Alaska but operated by American so they give you the Alaska flight number (that's what you're buying) but then they also give you the American flight number because they're they ones making it happen. And the footnote on the Alaska web site backs all of that up. I picked a random date of October 6th, one-way, from SJC-ORD, and get a Main price of $165.

Now that probably seems too good to be true because you can go to the American web site and pick the exact same flight and get a Main Cabin price of $163. But if you credit to Alaska then you'll only get the partial mileage, not the full mileage. And no bonus EQM (assuming you fly by the end of September). I'm with you, I'd pay the extra $2.

The airline business is strange, in more ways than one.
Thanks, I think I'm just thrown because in my experience codeshares are marketed under the codeshare carrier's flight number and the operating carrier would be the footnote, but AS presents itself as the footnote. Which is maybe more consumer friendly but unusual enough that it confuses me!
Old Aug 25, 2021, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by spgaston
Thanks, I think I'm just thrown because in my experience codeshares are marketed under the codeshare carrier's flight number and the operating carrier would be the footnote, but AS presents itself as the footnote. Which is maybe more consumer friendly but unusual enough that it confuses me!
I was looking at an American flight offered on the Alaska web site but Alaska wanted $229 versus the $70 to buy directly from American. I went with American as the math didn't work for me for the extra RDM & EQM I'd get with the Alaska option. With your route and prices I'd go with the Alaska option every time.
spgaston and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
A reset or something is happing in the app. Alaska miles, Alaska/partner miles, segments, Million Mile Flyer all at zero.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 2:02 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by vanillabean
A reset or something is happing in the app. Alaska miles, Alaska/partner miles, segments, Million Mile Flyer all at zero.
Me too.

EVERYBODY PANIC!!!!
Old Aug 25, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Mine's back, and correct.
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 7:47 am

Whats the best value flight I can book with 70K AS?

Preferably out of BNA.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 8:20 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by enwhycee

Preferably out of BNA.
My personal choice would be BNA-SEA-KEF-CPH at 70K or even better BNA-SEA-LAX/ORD/JFK-HEL-CPH at 60K.
WillTravel4Food likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 9:15 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by vanillabean
My personal choice would be BNA-SEA-KEF-CPH at 70K or even better BNA-SEA-LAX/ORD/JFK-HEL-CPH at 60K.
The other option could be BNA-LHR-CPH at 65K + the crazy BA YQ. With this routing, once the BNA-LHR flight is secured, you can pretty much pick any European BA destination. Not that I'd ever recommend to anybody paying the BA YQ, but I guess I am. Another option could be BNA-MIA-BCN for 45K during the off season.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by enwhycee

Preferably out of BNA.
You can take a very nice flight to Asia in business or first. That will get you there, you'll have to pay for your way back.
EmailKid likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 7:53 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Mine's back, and correct.
Mine is back, but my Wed. PdX>SAN has yet to post. Been a while since I had a flight that didn't hit upon landing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.