Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2021, 8:41 pm

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Hyatt
Can anyone tell me what benefits I will get as a OW Emerald traveling on Alaska in Y?

I think that I get 3 bags but is the weight limit 50lbs or 70?
Can I select premium class/ extra legroom seats for free?
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:00 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by turtle777
Can anyone tell me what benefits I will get as a OW Emerald traveling on Alaska in Y?
Depends, if you are an AA OWE, then you can select PE. If you are any other OWE then no, you only get access to priority seats, which, bar the exit row, are nothing special.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by turtle777

I think that I get 3 bags but is the weight limit 50lbs or 70?
Apparently, you also get a chocolate bar. Several people have reported this but I have yet to see it as a published benefit.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 9:12 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Passing some time on yesterday’s EWR-SFO, I looked up JL JFK-HND and figured it was going westbound whereas SQ JFK-SIN is eastbound or rather northbound. Did I get that right?
IIRC way back when CO was still an airline (with good / close relationship with AS) there was some discussion of EWR-China flights taking the "Polar route" during certain times of the year depending on which way the wind blew at cruising altitude. It may have been in winter, but yes, the planes flew north, not east or west. And it may have been not just flights to China, but most certainly ex EWR, as CO did not fly to Asia ex IAH except to NRT (and CLE was always a hublet).
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:04 am

Programs: AS GOLD
Yeah, i just got status match to MVP Gold from AA Platinum. Now i need to fly 10k miles to maintain the status. I am newish to Alaska and find a bit confusing about their earning chart. How many qualifying miles (EQM) will i get if i take the following trip as MVP Gold?

SAN-PDX-ANC. Class I
ANC-SEA-SAN Class I

i have the above trip booked. Departing mid Sept. So i will get the 50% EQM fast track promo

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 11:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by SESTAR
Yeah, i just got status match to MVP Gold from AA Platinum. Now i need to fly 10k miles to maintain the status.
Important - the flight miles for challenges are actual miles flown. So you need to fly 10K miles for MVP Gold- EQM earnings doesn't apply to a challenge.

But on an I class ticket with the added 50% EQM promo, you'd earn 2.25X flown miles in EQM.
SESTAR and anteater like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by joachimm
Important - the flight miles for challenges are actual miles flown. So you need to fly 10K miles for MVP Gold- EQM earnings doesn't apply to a challenge.

But on an I class ticket with the added 50% EQM promo, you'd earn 2.25X flown miles in EQM.
Alaska shows the miles flown when you click through to the details of your reservation ("Trips" > "Trip details" > look in the "Flight" column under the flight number and booking fare class). Great circle mapper (it never seems to be an exact match with Alaska) shows your itinerary travelling 4,974 miles (A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper)

Enjoy your time up here!
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerDigits
Alaska shows the miles flown when you click through to the details of your reservation ("Trips" > "Trip details" > look in the "Flight" column under the flight number and booking fare class). Great circle mapper (it never seems to be an exact match with Alaska) shows your itinerary travelling 4,974 miles (A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper)

Enjoy your time up here!
Thank you both.

so based on both of your input, I will be getting 4,974 x 225% ? So that will put me over 10k miles that is required for the challenge? So I am all set with this trip in term if keeping the gold status until 2022.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerDigits

Enjoy your time up here!
One other thing for OP - on a Gold challenge, it needs to be 10K+ miles. 9,948 miles won't get it done. So even if you did this trip twice it wouldn't satisfy the challenge. For annual qualification, I was told you will be given status if you are within 500 miles.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by SESTAR
Thank you both.

so based on both of your input, I will be getting 4,974 x 225% ? So that will put me over 10k miles that is required for the challenge? So I am all set with this trip in term if keeping the gold status until 2022.
No. As mentioned, challenges are actual BIS. With this trip you have 4,974. You need 5,026 more to complete it.

Edited to add: I think you may be confused by BIS, RDM, and EQM. For your challenge, only BIS matters, which is 4,974
SESTAR and FlyerDigits like this.

Last edited by NoLaGent; Aug 4, 2021 at 1:01 pm
Old Aug 4, 2021, 5:58 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K/ One World Emerald
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Perhaps use one of those baggage shippers or FedEx and/or UPS. Could be cheaper than $100 (have not checked myself).

Of course if you are doing checkin it may be too late at this point.
Thanks, I was able to ship via ups to my destination for $80.
EmailKid and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 6:45 pm

yes, u are so right. thank you for the clarifying it for me.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
No. As mentioned, challenges are actual BIS. With this trip you have 4,974. You need 5,026 more to complete it.

Edited to add: I think you may be confused by BIS, RDM, and EQM. For your challenge, only BIS matters, which is 4,974
For SESTAR or others in the future.

For the status match you'll need to fly the miles for the match (in this case, 10,000 miles) = BIS. Forget about the rest of the math below, if you want to fulfill the status match requirements then you need to fly the miles. Keep reading if you want to see how flying those 10,000 miles will show up in your frequent flyer account.

If you were to fly exactly 10,000 miles in coach, then:
- RDM: As an Alaska MVP Gold during the status match period you will earn 10,000 + 10,000 (100% MVP Gold bonus) = 20,000 redeemable miles = RDM.
- EQM: During "normal" times you will also see 10,000 miles posted to your year-to-date elite status tracker but now through September 30th (unless extended again) you will see 10,000 x 1.5 (50% EQM bonus) = 15,000 miles posted to your status tracker = EQM.

If you were to fly exactly 10,000 miles in the I first class fare bucket, then:
- RDM: As an Alaska MVP Gold you will earn 10,000 + 10,000 (100% MVP Gold bonus) + 5,000 (50% I fare class bonus) = 25,000 redeemable miles = RDM.
- EQM: You will also see [10,000 + 5,000 (50% I fare class EQM bonus)] x 1.5 (50% EQM bonus) = 15,000 x 1.5 = 22,500 miles posted to your status tracker = EQM.

Hope this helps! I'll edit if I made a mistake with any of the calculations so please check my math!
SESTAR, joachimm and Bellerina like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Is James (aka Flying For Fun) still moderating this forum? Haven't seen a single post from him in weeks (maybe months) which is usual for him.
James is no longer listed as a moderator 😢.

Flying for Fun — we miss your valuable contributions to this forum! Hope to see you make an appearance in the near future. Safe travels to you in the meantime.
pcoll and anteater like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 8:58 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Robert
James is no longer listed as a moderator 😢.

Flying for Fun — we miss your valuable contributions to this forum! Hope to see you make an appearance in the near future. Safe travels to you in the meantime.
I'm sorry to see that as well. Several of us inquired about his status, but were always mollified about our concerns. Even though he could be quite vociferous in his postings, the amount of knowledge he imparted was quite appreciated by myself, and I'm sure many others. I hope he is well and living up to his moniker.
Robert, pcoll and anteater like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.