Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Sep 13, 2021, 10:59 am

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by TheXMan
Question about OneWorld benefits and partner points redemptions. If I'm 75k AS Gold, and I book BA Avios redemption on AA metal, can I add my AS number to the flight and get benefits like free bags and priority boarding? In the past I was able to add my AA# to an avios booking on AA metal and utilize the free bag via credit card, but I plan to have AS status soon and wanted the additional OW benefits over just the CC. I don't know if you can mix/match various points/metal/OW benefits. Thanks!
You should be able to do this. It just may be tougher to do online and require calling AA, or doing it at the check in counter. My personal experience was booking an AA award ticket on Malaysia Airlines, and adding my BA Avios # to it (at check in, I think).

If it can't get added, I figure you should be able to at least get the bag fee waived by showing them your Alaska status.

In case you haven't tried it before, using other Oneworld airlines' website (like Finnair) to change the Frequent flyer number on an award booking was a common process.

​​​
Old Sep 13, 2021, 11:11 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by zdfld
You should be able to do this. It just may be tougher to do online and require calling AA, or doing it at the check in counter. My personal experience was booking an AA award ticket on Malaysia Airlines, and adding my BA Avios # to it (at check in, I think).

If it can't get added, I figure you should be able to at least get the bag fee waived by showing them your Alaska status.

In case you haven't tried it before, using other Oneworld airlines' website (like Finnair) to change the Frequent flyer number on an award booking was a common process.
​​​
I got into some mess doing the above. It seemed online my AY reservation wouldn't keep my AS FF# and reverted to the AY FF#. I called AY customer service, who said something about the system needing the AY FF# for at least one passenger on the reservation. But one would think you need the AY FF# to see the reservation on the AY website and the AS FF# for the AS elite status including preferred seats.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by zdfld

​​​
Originally Posted by vanillabean
I got into some mess doing the above. It seemed online my AY reservation wouldn't keep my AS FF# and reverted to the AY FF#. I called AY customer service, who said something about the system needing the AY FF# for at least one passenger on the reservation. But one would think you need the AY FF# to see the reservation on the AY website and the AS FF# for the AS elite status including preferred seats.
AA doesn't use similar systems that BA/IB/AY use, which means you cannot use the AY trick to change your FFN. AA is becoming more strict on changing FFN on their metal, so YMMV.
zdfld likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Miles Credited Long Before Landing

I'm currently about 2 hours into a 5 hour flight from OGG>PDX and was looking at prices for upcoming flights, and noticed the miles (RDMs and EQMs) have both already been credited. I guess I should be confident that AS is confident that we are going to make it! In the past I've usually seen miles post right at landing (it's great to kill 45 seconds of life by checking miles while waiting to pull up to the gate) but this early seems like a new thing. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old Sep 14, 2021, 1:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by TheXMan
Question about OneWorld benefits and partner points redemptions. If I'm 75k AS Gold, and I book BA Avios redemption on AA metal, can I add my AS number to the flight and get benefits like free bags and priority boarding? In the past I was able to add my AA# to an avios booking on AA metal and utilize the free bag via credit card, but I plan to have AS status soon and wanted the additional OW benefits over just the CC. I don't know if you can mix/match various points/metal/OW benefits. Thanks!
Do not include your BA FF# when booking the award flight. Usually this field is pre-populated when making a booking, so you would just delete the entry before proceeding.

Once it's booked, you can look up the reservation on the AA website and add the FF# of your choosing. My experience is that it will allow you to enter it if the field is initially empty, but once a FF# is entered it can no longer be changed online.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 5:27 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Hello, I'm a WN abandoner who is going after AS/AA status, and I have some questions about how everything works once I hit MVP/Oneworld Ruby, please. WN status is uncomplicated!

9/25-26 : I'm mileage running CMH-SEA-PDX and back. I'll qualify for MVP in SEA on the return flight. I'm in paid F PDX-SEA but on a Saver SEA-CMH with no seat. If my status updates after the PDX-SEA leg (it's booked separately), is there any way I could show the gate agent in SEA and avoid a middle seat, or is that YMMV?

Also, how long would it take for my status to fully update? Im flying CMH-SEA-ANC-ADQ and back Oct. 8 thru 12, so about 2 weeks later. Should I be good for possible upgrades on these flights?

Then, I'm flying AA CMH-SJU-CMH later in October. Since I'll be oneworld ruby, I should get MCE seats on AA, right? How does that work, at checkin or in advance? Also how will AA know that I'm OW ruby? Will all that be automatic once I hit AS MVP? Thank you
Old Sep 14, 2021, 9:40 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Hello, I'm a WN abandoner who is going after AS/AA status, and I have some questions about how everything works once I hit MVP/Oneworld Ruby, please. WN status is uncomplicated!

9/25-26 : I'm mileage running CMH-SEA-PDX and back. I'll qualify for MVP in SEA on the return flight. I'm in paid F PDX-SEA but on a Saver SEA-CMH with no seat. If my status updates after the PDX-SEA leg (it's booked separately), is there any way I could show the gate agent in SEA and avoid a middle seat, or is that YMMV?

Also, how long would it take for my status to fully update? Im flying CMH-SEA-ANC-ADQ and back Oct. 8 thru 12, so about 2 weeks later. Should I be good for possible upgrades on these flights?

Then, I'm flying AA CMH-SJU-CMH later in October. Since I'll be oneworld ruby, I should get MCE seats on AA, right? How does that work, at checkin or in advance? Also how will AA know that I'm OW ruby? Will all that be automatic once I hit AS MVP? Thank you
If I recall AS does a couple of automated weekly sweeps to update reservations with status changes. You should be set for trips that are 2+ weeks in the future.

Not sure about AA.. donít fly them but others here will know.

🙌🏻

edit: glossed over the saver fare part.. ineligible for upgrades on that one. They might exercise some discretion and assign you to a non-middle seat if available.

Last edited by anteater; Sep 14, 2021 at 10:08 am
Old Sep 14, 2021, 9:48 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Since when does status matter if you're on a saver fare?
anteater likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mtofell
I'm currently about 2 hours into a 5 hour flight from OGG>PDX and was looking at prices for upcoming flights, and noticed the miles (RDMs and EQMs) have both already been credited. I guess I should be confident that AS is confident that we are going to make it! In the past I've usually seen miles post right at landing (it's great to kill 45 seconds of life by checking miles while waiting to pull up to the gate) but this early seems like a new thing. Has anyone else noticed this?
I've seen this a few times recently. I don't think it happened on my PDX-SEA segment last night, but did on my SEA-ONT.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 4:58 pm

...I'll qualify for MVP...

As an Alaska MVP you'll have access to American MCE seats at the 24 hour point. When you're at the 24 hour point you'll be able to go in to your reservation to select the seats for free, assuming those seats are available. See this link for Alaska elite benefits, look down in the section for American: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...world-partners

Alaska MVP Gold and above have access to American MCE seats at time of booking.

To get the benefits on American as an Alaska elite you'll need to enter your Alaska Mileage Plan number on your American booking. Once your Alaska number is attached to your American booking I've found it to be a straight-forward process to access the MCE seats.
Old Sep 14, 2021, 11:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
Typically all my IAH - SEA flights are direct and operated by AS. There are also some connection flights (IAH - PHX - SEA, IAH - LAX - SEA), where one segment is operated by AA. Is there a way to find out the cabin class of AA-operated segments on AS website or app to figure out how many miles I can earn flying these segments? I couldn't figure it out. Do I need to look it up on the AA website? Thank you.

Old Sep 15, 2021, 12:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by hyedmd
Is there a way to find out the cabin class of AA-operated segments on AS website or app to figure out how many miles I can earn flying these segments?
On the website, once you select an itinerary and click on Add To Cart, the booking classes appear next to or below each flight.
hyedmd likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 12:16 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by econ
On the website, once you select an itinerary and click on Add To Cart, the booking classes appear next to or below each flight.
Thank you!
econ likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 6:47 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by FlyerDigits
As an Alaska MVP you'll have access to American MCE seats at the 24 hour point. When you're at the 24 hour point you'll be able to go in to your reservation to select the seats for free, assuming those seats are available. See this link for Alaska elite benefits, look down in the section for American: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mileage-plan/membership-benefits/elite-partner-benefits?lid=elite-benefitsneworld-partners

Alaska MVP Gold and above have access to American MCE seats at time of booking.

To get the benefits on American as an Alaska elite you'll need to enter your Alaska Mileage Plan number on your American booking. Once your Alaska number is attached to your American booking I've found it to be a straight-forward process to access the MCE seats.
This is really helpful--much appreciated! I can't seem to change my FF# through either the AA app or website. It's greyed out for me. I had to Tweet AA and they switched numbers for me.
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 6:59 pm

This is really helpful--much appreciated! I can't seem to change my FF# through either the AA app or website. It's greyed out for me. I had to Tweet AA and they switched numbers for me.
When I book on AA I don't log in to my AA account, rather I book as a guest and manually enter my Alaska number as part of the booking process. It's a pain to type everything but I just do it so I can get my Alaska number in there from the start.
zdfld and hyedmd like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.