Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2021, 12:03 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Quote myself from the other thread, the available first class seats are visible at the new flight status webpage ( not app)
Originally Posted by simonsuo
I’m looking at my flight 447 departs 3:15 tomorrow 8/21, I’m no.1 on the upgrade list, 0 first available now. Have a notification asking for volunteers. The 4:00 pm departure has 2 first available, but 0 purchasable. In this case, same day confirmed is not possible because the 4:00 pm is full. Can I ask a gate agent to add me to the standby list to the 4:00 and ask them to clear me right away? Is this even possible?
edit: see the new status page thread, got it answered there.

Last edited by simonsuo; Aug 21, 2021 at 11:03 am
Old Aug 22, 2021, 11:11 pm

Can Alaska travel credit certificates be used to pay for checked bag fees? The terms say they can't be used for onboard services, but I don't know if that includes baggage.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by tornado163
Can Alaska travel credit certificates be used to pay for checked bag fees? The terms say they can't be used for onboard services, but I don't know if that includes baggage.
Nope. It can only be used for airfare.
tornado163 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 11:55 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Something strange going on today with a booking: booked LAX-DCA nonstop for early Sept, found U availability on return leg, so checked the box to apply a GGU for that segment. Texted in to ensure I was added to upgrade list for the first leg as I had to opt out of upgrades to apply the GGU as the site link to request an upgrade wasn't working. Agent told me I'd be added since my MP # is there, but I pushed the issue knowing that's not correct. Agent unable to add it, working more with supervisor, and told me to check back later while they worked in the background. The trip doesn't show up in My Trips for some reason (on app or on site), but when I pulled up the reservation just now, there's a new segment added for late Nov - first class (J) for a SEA-PHX flight, and my seat assignment for LAX-DCA has been removed (and can't seem to get it to stick). Anyone have experience like this? Or have ideas about how to get this fixed? (And why there's now a random flight on my itinerary?)
Old Aug 23, 2021, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Something strange going on today with a booking…
Dunno about your situation, but the web and app booking search has been down for me today.

edit: booking search is back up.

Last edited by imaflyertalkuserwow; Aug 23, 2021 at 1:14 pm
Old Aug 23, 2021, 1:39 pm

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Something strange going on today with a booking: booked LAX-DCA nonstop for early Sept, found U availability on return leg, so checked the box to apply a GGU for that segment. Texted in to ensure I was added to upgrade list for the first leg as I had to opt out of upgrades to apply the GGU as the site link to request an upgrade wasn't working. Agent told me I'd be added since my MP # is there, but I pushed the issue knowing that's not correct. Agent unable to add it, working more with supervisor, and told me to check back later while they worked in the background. The trip doesn't show up in My Trips for some reason (on app or on site), but when I pulled up the reservation just now, there's a new segment added for late Nov - first class (J) for a SEA-PHX flight, and my seat assignment for LAX-DCA has been removed (and can't seem to get it to stick). Anyone have experience like this? Or have ideas about how to get this fixed? (And why there's now a random flight on my itinerary?)
Same thing just happened to me. I had booked a paid FC from EUG to MRY (Through SEA) RT and saw that there was GGU space available on the outbound which saved me almost $200. Cancelled original ticket and got the new one. When I tried to apply the GGU, it told me to call. When I called, the agent could see the reservation but it did not show either on Alaska.com for me or the app. The cancelled reservation did disappear on the app but not Alaska.com. She was able to apply the GGU but by the time she did it, the EUG-SEA was not longer available in U. (No big deal) When we tried to add the new confirmation code, it said it did not exist. However, when I logged off, I was able to pull up the reservation in Manage My Booking. Very strange and I hope it fixes itself because right now, I can not see the reservation in the app.

UPDATE: Checked again a couple of minutes ago and the reservation was in both the APP and Alaska.com.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Last edited by Klrduks; Aug 23, 2021 at 2:51 pm Reason: Update
Old Aug 23, 2021, 3:35 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
An incredibly basic question: Do Alaska elites earn Elite bonus miles (extra 50/100/125% for MVP/MVPG/75K) when crediting partner flights to Alaska?
Specifically, an MVPG flying SFO-LHR in BA I class (business) would earn how many redeemable miles?
Any Alaska member would earn 13,418 redeemable miles (5,367 x 2.5), but would an MVPG get another 100% bonus on top of that?
Old Aug 23, 2021, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by PDXpress
Do Alaska elites earn Elite bonus miles (extra 50/100/125% for MVP/MVPG/75K) when crediting partner flights to Alaska?
Yes, on the base miles earned. So an extra 5367 RDM in your example.

Elite bonuses are applied to base mileage earned only.

Earn elite bonus miles on eligible oneworld flights
PDXpress and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by PDXpress
An incredibly basic question: Do Alaska elites earn Elite bonus miles (extra 50/100/125% for MVP/MVPG/75K) when crediting partner flights to Alaska?
Specifically, an MVPG flying SFO-LHR in BA I class (business) would earn how many redeemable miles?
Any Alaska member would earn 13,418 redeemable miles (5,367 x 2.5), but would an MVPG get another 100% bonus on top of that?
Echoing the yes as stated above. Don't forget you'll also earn 150% EQM for the BA I class ticket too. By my calculations you will earn 18,785 RDM as an Alaska Gold and 8,051 EQM.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 5:35 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlyerDigits
Echoing the yes as stated above. Don't forget you'll also earn 150% EQM for the BA I class ticket too. By my calculations you will earn 18,785 RDM as an Alaska Gold and 8,051 EQM.
Thank you both. This isn't the first time that AS Mileage Plan has been more generous than I expected. North of expected, you could say.
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 10:10 am

Probably a really simple answer but I haven't been able to find it. I'm AA Plat (OneWorld Sapphire) and need to book a flight on Alaska. How do I get the OWS benefits to Alaska based on my AA status? Do I need to like create a mileage plan account and link them or something?
Old Aug 24, 2021, 10:35 am

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by dark54555
Probably a really simple answer but I haven't been able to find it. I'm AA Plat (OneWorld Sapphire) and need to book a flight on Alaska. How do I get the OWS benefits to Alaska based on my AA status? Do I need to like create a mileage plan account and link them or something?
When you make the booking, for the "Frequent flyer" tab/section, just choose American Airlines and put in your AA number. You should immediately get the benefits.

If for some reason you're not seeing Oneworld sapphire show up on your boarding pass, just talk to a CSR in the status lines, they'll re-add it.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Can someone clarify if this will credit as AA Q Class (25% EQM) or is this an AS Codeshare with AS Q class (100% EQM)? The website is quite confusing on this front. If it's a codeshare, then it should be marketed as AS6271. If it's not a codeshare, the AS flight number should not be there at all.

Old Aug 24, 2021, 1:54 pm

I've got a couple of questions that I'm hoping some of the experts here can answer.

1) When folks are talking about bonus mileages I'm seeing reference to 'COS'. What does this mean? I'm a MVPG75K and I'm looking to hit this tier again for 2022. I'm already at 39k miles rolled over from last year and I'm based out of Seattle. I see that the Seattle to Ft. Lauderdale flight appears to be one of the longest round trip flights that I can take and return on the same day even. How many elite qualifying miles would a round trip from SEA to FLL provide?

2) Before COVID I traveled internationally frequently for work. I've always hit the 90k miles needed for MVPG75K. I'm seeing references to changes in the MVP program this year where the mileage on partner airlines is only 75k now but you HAVE to also have a minimum of 6 segments flown on Alaska airplanes itself. Is this correct? Does this mean if I flew 125k miles on British, for example, but not a single flight on Alaska that I would not qualify for any level of MVP?

Thank You

Last edited by adaemus; Aug 24, 2021 at 2:25 pm
Old Aug 24, 2021, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by spgaston
Can someone clarify if this will credit as AA Q Class (25% EQM) or is this an AS Codeshare with AS Q class (100% EQM)?
“Earning on flights marketed by Alaska Airlines, and operated by American
Airlines (flights purchased as Alaska Airlines flights (AS) 4000-4799, 6000-6999 and 8001-8100) earn miles based on the Alaska Airlines earning chart.”

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rican-airlines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.