Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Aug 27, 2021, 5:51 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerDigits
You can take a very nice flight to Asia in business or first. That will get you there, you'll have to pay for your way back.
Yup, I would say using miles for Int'l Biz is the best use of miles (AS or other airlines)
mildfrequence and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How do other people manage/keep track of their AA flights if y'all are using your AS MP number?

Once your AS number is attached to the reservation can you import it into the AA app without it applying your AA number?
Old Aug 28, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: ASMVP100K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by chrisl137
How do other people manage/keep track of their AA flights if y'all are using your AS MP number?

Once your AS number is attached to the reservation can you import it into the AA app without it applying your AA number?
You can import it into the AA app.

Open the AA app, tap "Find My Trip", enter your details, and then swipe up the bottom bar. It should show a toggle for "Save trip to home screen". Make sure that is toggled on, and it'll be available on your app to view.

I've noticed very rarely my AA app will log me out, and cause the home screen flights to disappear, so I'll have to re add them. Nothing too difficult. I also use the AA app to check in, choose seats, get my boarding pass, and all that.
chrisl137 and Eurynom0s like this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I know you're not supposed to be able to earn Alaska miles on JetBlue flights even if you book it as the AA codeshare, but I'm curious if anyone has tried it anyhow and if so whether they wound up earning their EQM/RDM.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 3:16 am

Any experience with crediting to Alaska on a Basic economy fare? The fare class is S and Q on BA.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Any experience with crediting to Alaska on a Basic economy fare? The fare class is S and Q on BA.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ritish-airways
Old Aug 30, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
I know you're not supposed to be able to earn Alaska miles on JetBlue flights even if you book it as the AA codeshare, but I'm curious if anyone has tried it anyhow and if so whether they wound up earning their EQM/RDM.
Being based in BOS I am more than curious. But also skeptical.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Checking Bags at Layover??

So, here's one I don't think I've seen come up - Is it possible to check bags between the two legs of a flight?

I'm flying LAS > OGG and found a flight with a long layover in PDX (where I maintain a residence). Flight gets into PDX at 7PM and out the next day to OGG at 10AM. So, I could sleep at home and grab some things I'd love to take from PDX > OGG but am not willing to drag with me through Las Vegas for a week.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
You could try a bag storage service? I think Portland Provisions does it at PDX? or did? Admittedly tough to find info on that right now
Old Aug 30, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by mtofell
So, here's one I don't think I've seen come up - Is it possible to check bags between the two legs of a flight?

I'm flying LAS > OGG and found a flight with a long layover in PDX (where I maintain a residence). Flight gets into PDX at 7PM and out the next day to OGG at 10AM. So, I could sleep at home and grab some things I'd love to take from PDX > OGG but am not willing to drag with me through Las Vegas for a week.
Not sure if you're asking if they'll keep them checked throughout your layover or if you're able to check them in again at PDX, but their baggage policy is this:
  • Layovers longer than 12 hrs, you'll need to claim and re-check your bags. If it were shorter than 12 hrs, you'd have the option to not check them through all the way, I believe. You'd just notify the agent you'd like to claim them during your layover.
  • You can check bags in no earlier than 4 hrs prior to your flight, up until 1 hr before departure. Because it's a longer layover, this may mean paying the baggage fee twice, unless you have a fee waiver from the AS Visa or elite status.
mtofell likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 4:28 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Not sure if you're asking if they'll keep them checked throughout your layover or if you're able to check them in again at PDX, but their baggage policy is this:
  • Layovers longer than 12 hrs, you'll need to claim and re-check your bags. If it were shorter than 12 hrs, you'd have the option to not check them through all the way, I believe. You'd just notify the agent you'd like to claim them during your layover.
  • You can check bags in no earlier than 4 hrs prior to your flight, up until 1 hr before departure. Because it's a longer layover, this may mean paying the baggage fee twice, unless you have a fee waiver from the AS Visa or elite status.
Ah, perfect... I didn't realize the 12 hour thing so that solves the problem (I think). I wouldn't be checking one on the first leg just the second. I'm thinking that's no problem since the whole reason for the 12-hour thing is they don't want to keep track and store a bag. So, when I go to check it in for the second flight they probably wouldn't know (or care) that I hadn't checked anything for the first leg.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell

When we overnighted in SEA we checked our bags two times: ANC-SEA and then again SEA-PHL. At check in we just said to check only to SEA.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
How should I cancel an Alaska / Horizon flight booked on AS app?

I need to cancel my rdm/sfo flight which I booked on AS app and it’s an AS flight operated by Horizon. Can I cancel on app and will I get anything out of this? Flight cost is $199 per pax - is there a fee when I cancel? How best to proceed?
Old Aug 31, 2021, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by gaobest
I need to cancel my rdm/sfo flight which I booked on AS app and it’s an AS flight operated by Horizon. Can I cancel on app and will I get anything out of this? Flight cost is $199 per pax - is there a fee when I cancel? How best to proceed?
If booked within last 24 hrs, you'll get full refund to original payment, If not and you booked a saver fare (basic economy), you'll get nothing. If main cabin fare, it'll all go back as a flight credit to your wallet with Alaska (easiest to keep track of and use for future bookings) or email you ticket #s to use for future flight. No fees anymore. It should give you notice at check-out if it's saver that you'd lose full value, and give you options for how you'd like to get the credit at that time.
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
If booked within last 24 hrs, you'll get full refund to original payment, If not and you booked a saver fare (basic economy), you'll get nothing. If main cabin fare, it'll all go back as a flight credit to your wallet with Alaska (easiest to keep track of and use for future bookings) or email you ticket #s to use for future flight. No fees anymore. It should give you notice at check-out if it's saver that you'd lose full value, and give you options for how you'd like to get the credit at that time.
thank you!
it’s discounted F fare. Booked in June.
what is best way to cancel?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.