Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Aug 5, 2021, 12:43 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I'm sorry to see that as well. Several of us inquired about his status, but were always mollified about our concerns. Even though he could be quite vociferous in his postings, the amount of knowledge he imparted was quite appreciated by myself, and I'm sure many others. I hope he is well and living up to his moniker.
As Ive said recently, he is well and he is still Flying for Fun. And I agree, he is definitely missed around here.
NoLaGent, pcoll, anteater and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 2:01 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Mistake?

Opening up the main AS page today and at first was excited to see a 30% off sale...... only to realize the dates have passed. Although I don't recall this sale so did they just make a mistake and it is for 2022? Screenshot is attached.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell
Opening up the main AS page today and at first was excited to see a 30% off sale...... only to realize the dates have passed. Although I don't recall this sale so did they just make a mistake and it is for 2022? Screenshot is attached.
That's a weird one, it looks like it somehow cached or picked an old promotion. When I open the web page it shows the "The official airline of rescheduled events" sale ending today.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 2:27 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
SDC and Upgrade List

Just wondering... how does your spot on the upgrade list translate-over when SDC'ing?

E.g. Let's say you're in Main/PC and on the upgrade list for your original flight. If you SDC to a new flight, are you then:
  • added to the bottom of the upgrade list for the new flight,
  • spliced partway into the list based on your elite status and fare class,
    • and retain your ticketing-date, or
    • receive a new ticketing-date which is basically when you SDC'ed (and the same as having bought the ticket day-of)
  • something totally different?
Old Aug 9, 2021, 4:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
  • spliced partway into the list based on your elite status and fare class,
    • and retain your ticketing-date
In theory, you get added to the upgrade list based on status and fare. I know at least that much is true. However I dont know if ticketing date remains.

Whether or not the AS system properly handles the upgrade is a whole other issue.

I have SDCed to alternate flights that have appeared to have more F space and been successfully upgraded before. Of course, havent done that since pre-Covid.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 4:38 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Bellerina
In theory, you get added to the upgrade list based on status and fare. I know at least that much is true. However I dont know if ticketing date remains.

Whether or not the AS system properly handles the upgrade is a whole other issue.

I have SDCed to alternate flights that have appeared to have more F space and been successfully upgraded before. Of course, havent done that since pre-Covid.
I believe your ticketing date becomes when you execute the SDC onto the new flight, as that is a new ticket.

UG priority is a nested loop of Elite Status > Fare Class > Ticketing Date / Time.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 7:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Is standing by for a later flight possible when there is no SDC space?

I expect not, but I never actually asked or saw it addressed.

Excluding IRROPs/flat tire/etc.
Old Aug 9, 2021, 9:41 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by Bellerina

Originally Posted by anteater
I believe your ticketing date becomes when you execute the SDC onto the new flight, as that is a new ticket.

UG priority is a nested loop of Elite Status > Fare Class > Ticketing Date / Time.
Ah yes, that would make sense (to be spliced in, and for ticketing date-time to be the SDC time). Though, I wonder if AS' IT is actually that skilled.

I guess that also means if you SDC, [all else being the same] you'll probably reduce your chances of an upgrade? And so you should only do it if:
  • you're too far down the list on the original flight,
  • the new flight has more empty F seats and [in theory], and better CPU odds, or
  • [perhaps the best reason of all, and probably why you SDC'ed to begin with] you don't care about getting upgraded, your primary goal is optimizing the timing
Old Aug 9, 2021, 9:55 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Ah yes, that would make sense (to be spliced in, and for ticketing date-time to be the SDC time). Though, I wonder if AS' IT is actually that skilled.

I guess that also means if you SDC, [all else being the same] you'll probably reduce your chances of an upgrade? And so you should only do it if:
  • you're too far down the list on the original flight,
  • the new flight has more empty F seats and [in theory], and better CPU odds, or
  • [perhaps the best reason of all, and probably why you SDC'ed to begin with] you don't care about getting upgraded, your primary goal is optimizing the timing
Agreed.

I dont think it would be an IT limitation. Youre being issued a new ticket for.. the new flight, so by default the UG time stamp would be the issuance of the new ticket.

Last edited by anteater; Aug 9, 2021 at 11:04 pm
Old Aug 11, 2021, 1:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
I understand in the past that to qualify for MVP 75 for example you need needed 75K on AS metal or 90K on combination AS and Partners. I thought that had changed with OW and now we needed just 75K on combo AS and OW oartners and a few AS segments. Is that the case? I have flown all AS this year except now I am flying partners internaitonally but when my recent flights credited it has the old calculatino on what I need for MVP75
Old Aug 11, 2021, 9:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by tobikosan
I understand in the past that to qualify for MVP 75 for example you need needed 75K on AS metal or 90K on combination AS and Partners. I thought that had changed with OW and now we needed just 75K on combo AS and OW oartners and a few AS segments. Is that the case? I have flown all AS this year except now I am flying partners internaitonally but when my recent flights credited it has the old calculatino on what I need for MVP75
This is correct. It's 75K miles, whether partner or AS. They just haven't updated their trackers yet, for some reason.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
This is correct. It's 75K miles, whether partner or AS. They just haven't updated their trackers yet, for some reason.
If fully verified, it appears I can switch some international award travel to paid and qualify for 75K. Am I good to go?
Old Aug 11, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by vanillabean
If fully verified, it appears I can switch some international award travel to paid and qualify for 75K. Am I good to go?
Elite status qualification chart straight from the horses mouth here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan

Only thing to note is you'll want to verify the level of earning on the fare class you're purchasing (from partner earning charts), as some may be < 100%.
chrisl137 and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 10:35 am

Yes, here is the source page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rship-benefits

Here is what you'll see:
Old Aug 11, 2021, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Elite status qualification chart straight from the horses mouth here: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan

Only thing to note is you'll want to verify the level of earning on the fare class you're purchasing (from partner earning charts), as some may be < 100%.
Here is the link for the partner earning page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...dID:MPPartners

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.