Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

2021 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Old Sep 18, 2021, 3:42 pm

I currently hold MVP status that I first earned in 2019, and was excited to see what travel might bring in 2020. My business has very little travel requirements, so my travel is 98% for personal leisure. So far in 2021 I have earned enough EQM to requalify for MVP through 2022 (through international partner flying), and I will be flying the minimum 2 segments on Alaska in December. With the current 50% bonus EQM, the CC spend EQM bonus, and planned flying through the end of the year, I will end up 8700 miles and 2 Alaska segments short of MVPGold.

In 2022 I plan on taking 3-5 round trips on Alaska and 1 international partner trip. Actual destinations TBD. I have identified the route I would fly for the mileage run, which would need to be flown twice to earn the EQM. The cost of the mileage run is not an issue. Is there any real benefit I will see for the number of flights I plan on taking next year for MVP Gold versus vanilla MVP?
Old Sep 19, 2021, 12:13 am

Programs: IHG Priority Club Spire Ambassador, AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by FlyerDigits
You can also search by fare class, to include multiple fare classes at once, using ITA flight matrix. There is a learning curve but works for these types of situations.
I had completely forgotten about that. Good call. Thank you so much!
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by mjbulzomi
In 2022 I plan on taking 3-5 round trips on Alaska and 1 international partner trip. Actual destinations TBD. I have identified the route I would fly for the mileage run, which would need to be flown twice to earn the EQM. The cost of the mileage run is not an issue. Is there any real benefit I will see for the number of flights I plan on taking next year for MVP Gold versus vanilla MVP?
Key questions, I'd want to see a yes to most of these before heading out on two mileage runs:
  • Will someone travel with you next year (companion upgrades, most likely for premium)?
  • Do you value same day flight changes?
  • Do you have any the ability to realistically use Gold Guest Upgrades?
  • Will you use the extra baggage allowance and/or the business class lounge on your international trip?
Old Sep 19, 2021, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerDigits
Key questions, I'd want to see a yes to most of these before heading out on two mileage runs:
  • Will someone travel with you next year (companion upgrades, most likely for premium)?
  • Do you value same day flight changes?
  • Do you have any the ability to realistically use Gold Guest Upgrades?
  • Will you use the extra baggage allowance and/or the business class lounge on your international trip?
Thanks for your reply.
1. Yes, >50% chance of companion in each trip.
2. I have never needed this for my leisure travels.
3. Yes, I would utilize these upgrades, whether for me or other family members.
4. Not likely to need additional baggage allowance. Yes, I would utilize business class lounge provided an AmEx Centurion was not located in the transiting airport (or if the Centurion was subpar).
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 10:30 pm

Can Alaska sell a separate segment on American Airlines

Hello I have a flight from Austin to Honolulu connecting in LA I was wondering if Alaska Airlines is able to sell a separate segment from Dallas to Austin to connect to that itinerary?
Old Sep 20, 2021, 12:18 am

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
I'm kind of new to the Milage program. Am I correct to understand that the bonus miles you accrue, ie: (I) class for 75K, do not go toward elite milage credit?
Old Sep 20, 2021, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by minhaoxue
I'm kind of new to the Milage program. Am I correct to understand that the bonus miles you accrue, ie: (I) class for 75K, do not go toward elite milage credit?
Class of service bonuses (J, C, D, I, Y, B, H, K) apply for EQM, and the 1.5x EQM multiplier on the bonused miles. So a D or I fare is base*1.5*1.5=base*2.25 EQM.

Status bonuses (e.g. 100% bonus for MVPG) only apply to RDM.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
If you are on a Status challenge, the COS, class of service bonus, does not count toward the minimum required miles to fulfill the challenge; those require butt in seat miles only; BIS.

Otherwise, the Class of Service Bonus is both Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) & Redeemable Miles. (RDM) If you fly AS in I class you earn 150% of the distance flown towards status. If the flight is less than 500 miles, your base miles will be topped up to a 500 mile minimum. Until December 31st, there is also a 50% EQM bonus so you earn 225% the base miles flow; minimum 500.

James
anteater, Guate87 and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL GOLD, IHG LIFE PLAT, BONVOY'ED GOLD
Hey guys quick question, does Alaska still send out 75K bag tags?
Old Sep 20, 2021, 10:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by itripreport
Hey guys quick question, does Alaska still send out 75K bag tags?
Yes, you should get it in the mail. If for some reason you dont, you can request the kit and theyll send it out.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
If you are on a Status challenge, the COS, class of service bonus, does not count toward the minimum required miles to fulfill the challenge; those require butt in seat miles only; BIS.

Otherwise, the Class of Service Bonus is both Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) & Redeemable Miles. (RDM) If you fly AS in I class you earn 150% of the distance flown towards status. If the flight is less than 500 miles, your base miles will be topped up to a 500 mile minimum. Until December 31st, there is also a 50% EQM bonus so you earn 225% the base miles flow; minimum 500.

James
I am a UA 1K and did a status match with AS and they gave me 75k. I have been flying AS since June and only in F on a (I) Class fare. I would like to requalify for 75k. So using the example below ( looking at my progress toward elite status) I was credited for 2,586 Base miles and 1,293 for the 50% elite bonus qualification. Should I have also be given 25% for being MVP Gold 75k and credited toward my elite bonus qualification ?

Old Sep 20, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I am a UA 1K and did a status match with AS and they gave me 75k. I have been flying AS since June and only in F on a (I) Class fare. I would like to requalify for 75k. So using the example below ( looking at my progress toward elite status) I was credited for 2,586 Base miles and 1,293 for the 50% elite bonus qualification. Should I have also be given 25% for being MVP Gold 75k and credited toward my elite bonus qualification ?
No. EQM, normally, is BIS miles for AS flights. Additional EQM can be earned for COS on AS and some partners. We 75Ks don't get a targeted advantage in EQM earnings.
minhaoxue, Guate87 and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
No. EQM, normally, is BIS miles for AS flights. Additional EQM can be earned for COS on AS and some partners. We 75Ks don't get a targeted advantage in EQM earnings.
Thank you. That really answers my question.
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

Did AS match you to 75K or did they grant you 75K with a challenge to fly x miles within a certain time frame (a challenge) to maintain 75K through 2022? If it was a challenge, what are the requirements to fulfill it?

The graphic you included in your post for the JFK-SFO segment is the RDM or redeemable miles only that you earned for that flight. It doesn't reflect what EQM you earned. The bonus includes your Class of Service bonus (COS) which is both EQM & RDM as well as your Elite bonus. The base miles flown is 2586. Flying in D/I fare class earns a 50% COS bonus & your Elite bonus as a 75K is 125%. Adding them up we have 100% Base + 50% Base + 125% Base = 275% Base. Since the base is 2586 the total RDM earned is 2.75(2586) = 7112 miles. (rounded)

You can see another example here that distinguishes between the RDM you see in the mileage activity & what EQM a member not on a match/challenge would earn with the current 50% EQM bonus.

Generally on a challenge the requirement for meeting the x miles by y time is BIS miles & the COS was not included in meeting the challenge. Although the COS is included in the RDM you earn.

However, earlier this year, AS had a challenge for DL Members that granted status during the challenge period and offered them the 50% EQM bonus on all flights until December 31st, 2021 when the end date for everyone else, prior to the latest extension, was September 30th. That indicates to me that the 50% EQM bonus was recognized towards the x miles component of the challenge.

I would reference your match/challenge from UA 1K email to see what conditions are listed or call AS for further clarification on expectations to meet the challenge.

James
Old Sep 21, 2021, 11:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I’m looking at booking a saver fare for a short flight between Vegas and La. I have Oneworld Emerald status via my BA Gold card. Will I be able to check a bag for free?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.