Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Summary of North America Executive class meal service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Summary of North America Executive class meal service

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
Does anyone know the difference between Asian Vegetarian Meal and Vegetarian Oriental Meal in the Special Meals selection?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Chowtime
Does anyone know the difference between Asian Vegetarian Meal and Vegetarian Oriental Meal in the Special Meals selection?
Great question! I had to do digging at length to find the answer a year or so ago.

The main difference is that VOML does not contain dairy, but AVML may contain dairy. So if you're lactose intolerant or allergic to dairy, stick with the VOML.

This is my source anyways, not entirely sure if it's 100% applicable to AC, but given SQ is a member of Star Alliance, most likely it is true. I usually have the VOML and i'm severely lactose intolerant, and have never had an issue.

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/fl.../specialmeals/

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Nov 23, 2014 at 8:53 am
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by Chowtime
The difference is usually in the spicing of the meals, although the specs of VOML's vary from one station to another. AVML's usually are cooked with curry, cumin, cardamon and other traditional Indian/SE Asian spices. If you like a bit more "punch" in your meal, I would go with the AV.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite for life; Fairmont Platinum; Delta Platinum Plus
After the encouragement I received here I tried the cheese omelette in the YYZ Domestic MLL on Friday and thought it wasn't bad, the sausages on the other hand were poor.

I was flying to Timmins so not hot service in J .

So live and learn. I am still waiting to have a cappuccino on board like SAS served me in their biz/first 15 years ago.

Last edited by MQS007; Nov 23, 2014 at 2:32 pm Reason: Left something out
Old Nov 23, 2014, 3:50 pm
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
Originally Posted by MQS007
After the encouragement I received here I tried the cheese omelette in the YYZ Domestic MLL on Friday and thought it wasn't bad, the sausages on the other hand were poor.

I was flying to Timmins so not hot service in J .

So live and learn. I am still waiting to have a cappuccino on board like SAS served me in their biz/first 15 years ago.
I liked the sausages in the YYC MLL... Hard boiled eggs and sausages = breakfast of champions!

Weird thing is I liked the coffee in the YYC MLL, and the YEG MLL coffee was blah. Same machine and presumably same coffee beans right?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by CT1
I liked the sausages in the YYC MLL... Hard boiled eggs and sausages = breakfast of champions!
You forgot the champagne.

After a full English breakfast + a bottle of champagne I tend to have a much more positive attitude towards life.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by CT1
Weird thing is I liked the coffee in the YYC MLL, and the YEG MLL coffee was blah. Same machine and presumably same coffee beans right?

Can anyone verify if same beans used in machines in all Canadian MLLs?
Can anyone say if the machines are calibrated to use the same quantity of beans/ground coffee per serving?

Mysteries of the universe.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
After a full English breakfast + a bottle of champagne I tend to have a much more positive attitude towards life.

^^^^^
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Originally Posted by MQS007
Originally Posted by CT1
Are you guys referring to MLL food similar to this (taken from YVR domestic MLL).

There's something odd about the cheese in the omelette -- it feels kind of similar to the same cheese I find at Mickey D's.

I definitely agree with you MQS007 - I definitely regret taking so many sausages after the second one. It tasted like meat glue encased in oily plastic.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by maradori
Are you guys referring to MLL food similar to this (taken from YVR domestic MLL).

There's something odd about the cheese in the omelette -- it feels kind of similar to the same cheese I find at Mickey D's.

I definitely agree with you MQS007 - I definitely regret taking so many sausages after the second one. It tasted like meat glue encased in oily plastic.
The sausages on board (in the breakfast J meal) are to die for. I know, it's just an opinion, but I actually look forward (aka salivating right now) for the sausage in the bfast meal.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
Where Did My Food Code Go?

A number of my flights in Domestic PE (YYZ-YVR and back) were changed over to the Preferred Seating recently. When I looked at the AC-modified booking and receipt, my Altitude Food Voucher codes are gone from the modified PDF files.

According to the link at http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/141104.html

"Customers purchasing a Preferred seat will be able to purchase earphones, meals, snacks and alcoholic beverages from our Air Canada Café."

Will my future BP display the meal icon, or will I have a hard time convincing the FA?
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yqtyyz
A number of my flights in Domestic PE (YYZ-YVR and back) were changed over to the Preferred Seating recently. When I looked at the AC-modified booking and receipt, my Altitude Food Voucher codes are gone from the modified PDF files.

According to the link at http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/141104.html

"Customers purchasing a Preferred seat will be able to purchase earphones, meals, snacks and alcoholic beverages from our Air Canada Café."

Will my future BP display the meal icon, or will I have a hard time convincing the FA?
I'm lost. If you buy a preferred seat, then you also have the ability to buy earphones, meals, snacks, booze etc. It doesn't entitle you to a "free" meal such as the meal on the BP picture or the LT07
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:33 pm

I never bought a preferred seat (as it did not exist when I booked my seats in September). It was in Premium Economy.

An Altitude complimentary meal code was redeemed at the time of booking, and now the "Altitude - Complimentary Onboard Cafe" remark has disappeared from the new receipt.

I want to ensure that I get whatever the BOB cart is offering without having to pay for anything.

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I'm lost. If you buy a preferred seat, then you also have the ability to buy earphones, meals, snacks, booze etc. It doesn't entitle you to a "free" meal such as the meal on the BP picture or the LT07
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yqtyyz
I never bought a preferred seat (as it did not exist when I booked my seats in September). It was in Premium Economy.

An Altitude complimentary meal code was redeemed at the time of booking, and now the "Altitude - Complimentary Onboard Cafe" remark has disappeared from the new receipt.

I want to ensure that I get whatever the BOB cart is offering without having to pay for anything.
I must be missing something. Yes, before with PE, you got food. Now, there is no PE, so you don't get food. The quote you had simply mentioned that if you still choose to buy these (now called) preferred seats (if you didn't have status) then you would be able to buy food like everyone else.

Your seat is no longer a PE seat, it is a regular Y seat that you have access to book without forking $ because of your Altitude benefits. HTH
Old Nov 26, 2014, 8:53 pm

In fairness to us both, I think my file still needs to be cleared up further. I have a smorgasbord of fare codes that AC still needs to fix (e.g., I have "Latitude N", Latitude "B", "Flex W" showing when none of these 3 codes were present when I bought the ticket It was all "O".

A call in the morning to customer service should help - my inquiring mind just wanted to see if others have experienced any similar snafus in the meantime.

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I must be missing something. Yes, before with PE, you got food. Now, there is no PE, so you don't get food. The quote you had simply mentioned that if you still choose to buy these (now called) preferred seats (if you didn't have status) then you would be able to buy food like everyone else.

Your seat is no longer a PE seat, it is a regular Y seat that you have access to book without forking $ because of your Altitude benefits. HTH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.