Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Summary of North America Executive class meal service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Summary of North America Executive class meal service

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:49 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
Speculation on my part, but my hunch is their current goal is just to leech off the large volume of premium fare travel from Asia. They have BR, NH, and CA in the alliance with direct flights into YVR and YYZ whose pax they can then position within Canada, OZ and SQ with flights to US hubs they can then transfer pax to Canada, and they recently added CX to leech off those pax needing a connection. In addition, they've been consistently adding capacity to Asia and opening new AC routes (e.g. YUL-PVG).

I think, for J, AC has really turned its eyes to foreign travelers to leech off high-fare international connections. Someone flying CX J who hasn't visited Canada before would probably rather connect onto AC J than WS Y, even though the AC J may be some regional flight with few amenities. The promotional materials will no doubt sway people, as most won't bother turning to threads like this.
I disagree. Going through each pax origin and destination who is flying in J on the widebody's between YVR - YYZ (when I play with the SD's iPad it's on there) I can tell you this is not the case.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
I disagree. Going through each pax origin and destination who is flying in J on the widebody's between YVR - YYZ (when I play with the SD's iPad it's on there) I can tell you this is not the case.
I disagree with your disagreement. I'll mention I'm privy to a lot of data out of YVR although I haven't done a systematic analysis.

Were you checking at appropriate times? Obviously it'd be timed to align with the arrival of the high-volume *A foreign carrier flights. YVR-YYZ would also be more biased towards more Canadian residents given the availability of Asia-YYZ flights. I wonder if AC has released any type of information like this to investors?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:03 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Nazdoom
I disagree with your disagreement. I'll mention I'm privy to a lot of data out of YVR although I haven't done a systematic analysis.

Were you checking at appropriate times? Obviously it'd be timed to align with the arrival of the high-volume *A foreign carrier flights. YVR-YYZ would also be more biased towards more Canadian residents given the availability of Asia-YYZ flights. I wonder if AC has released any type of information like this to investors?
Well the times I check are on the flights I take (since the SD's iPad is onboard showing the pax information). So I only take the widebody's from YVR - YYZ, those would be the times.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:19 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
I've yet to see an SD with an iPad. How prevalent are they and are they actually making a difference?

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Your expectation when you see "beef tenderloin" is X. And AC has proven for over a decade that they won't meet the quality of X.

So why not do something like Lasaguna or Dumplings, where the expection is Y and they can meet or exceed Y with the same budget.
AC keeps lowering its quality to surpass (in the wrong direction) my continually diminishing expectations.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 1:24 am

Is the "Air Canada Cafe Lunch/Dinner Choice" the same as what business class flyers get? And in general, are meals from AC Cafe recommendable?
Old Apr 1, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ArnoldB
Is the "Air Canada Cafe Lunch/Dinner Choice" the same as what business class flyers get? And in general, are meals from AC Cafe recommendable?
No and no.

Air Canada Cafe offers things like wraps and pizzas. On some flights, there are extra entrees from the business class meals that can also be purchased, but not the full business class meal.

As for the quality of the food, the consensus among those who fly a lot is it's pretty crappy (other than pre-packaged stuff like Pringles). You're likely much better off to bring something from home or buy something in the terminal before getting on the plane.

Although some here would tell you that the business class meals are mediocre to awful and that some of the buy-on-board is better.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I think BOB is often better. I've often asked for pizza instead of my J meal
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:07 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've opted for the BoB vegetarian sandwich in place of the J meal a few times. It's pretty good by AC standards.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:08 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I knew you would say that
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:45 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Omw to Cayman Islands today. Omlette or healthy option . This is the first flight I've had on AC where every single person refused breakfast (E90). Half the cabin is sleeping and the other half drinking but no one eating 😂.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: AC 50K (*G), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by SKYEG
Omw to Cayman Islands today. Omlette or healthy option . This is the first flight I've had on AC where every single person refused breakfast (E90). Half the cabin is sleeping and the other half drinking but no one eating 😂.
Thats a bit surprising to me. Usually there's at least one person who has breakfast. Often times I'll just go for the fruit plate from the healthy option as a snack If I've already eaten.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by YHZ_Flyer
Thats a bit surprising to me. Usually there's at least one person who has breakfast. Often times I'll just go for the fruit plate from the healthy option as a snack If I've already eaten.
Surprised me too. Another data point : Everyone is definitely retired , age 65+.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
A friend of a friend of a friend wants to know what is served in J on 156 nowadays.

Is it still the choice of omelette or the omelette, or the omelette?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
A friend of a friend told a birdie who told me that they have noticed SDs using iPads more frequently now.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Cesar salad complete with Romaine lettuce, croutons, bacon and Cesar dressing served on AC 1170 Saturday. A first for me. Type of change I have been on about. But AC still added the usual balsamic on the side. Old habits die hard. Anyway, Thanks AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.