Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Summary of North America Executive class meal service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Summary of North America Executive class meal service

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by yyznomad
So what did ya get?
I had the lamb . It was cooked really well but I didn't like the taste too much.

The salad was new to me and was really really good. Super impressed with it. Presentation was good too! Awesome SD , same name as me (Sam) 😂

​​​
Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50/MM, HH gold, Nat Exec Elite, Kimpton Karma
Originally Posted by 24left
Waldorf Salad: Granny Smith apples, celery, chives, red grapes, walnuts, lemon mayonnaise

Also served on my LAX-YYZ the other day.

I'll be a little more vocal on this: It was disgusting (my opinion and the actual words used by the person seated nearby)

We both agreed that this was the cheapest salad offering we'd seen in a few years and it was bitter. There was no substance and he thought it was 5 cents worth of food.

Both of us were commenting how we had the bocconcini-tomato salad last month and it was excellent.

Cheapening the J cabin, one vegetable at a time.

Thank you for the photos. This presentation is embarrassing (I make this all the time at home). Trust you on taste. Why serve it?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Sean Peever
Dear AC,

How about some options where you don't try to be fancy and instead just go for stuff that is widely enjoyed.

- Burgers
- Mac & Cheese
- Pizza
- Burrito
- buttermilk biscuits
- dumplings (would really work well in those steam ovens)
- Chili
- Apple pie
- Pecan pie
- Shrimp and Grits
- Peacan-Peach Cobbler
- Stew
- Beef Chili
- Ciannamon rolls / buns
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Meatloaf
- Pork Chops
- Laganga
- Catfish (for flights out of YWG)
- French Toast
- Banana Bread
- Jambalaya
- Tomato Soup
- Pound Cake
- Peach Ice Cream
- Pot Roast
- Coffee Crumble Cake
- Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Casserole
- Breakfast Hash (Italian Sausage)
- Brownies
- Banana Pudding

#MakeSeanPeeverInchargeOfAcFood
You can be in charge of food as long as some vegetarian and healthy choices are added.

PS, please keep Iogo yogurt on the breakfast choices. Best thing about the tray.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:12 pm

Programs: It's hard to get status when the website won't let me book flights.
Originally Posted by Bartolo
You can be in charge of food as long as some vegetarian and healthy choices are added.

PS, please keep Iogo yogurt on the breakfast choices. Best thing about the tray.
Agreed, veg options needed and Iogo yogurt is not going anywhere! I buy the big bags at home, approx 3-4 each month.

Also what I can do with veg options with all the time I have spent in India would blow your mind!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:33 am

Agreed, veg options needed and Iogo yogurt is not going anywhere! I buy the big bags at home, approx 3-4 each month.

Also what I can do with veg options with all the time I have spent in India would blow your mind!
Good thing we don't go to the same supermarket. I've cornered the market on iogo at my local. I've been know to buy in quantity! Too bad it's brief outing in the MLL is over. The cheap stuff there now is pathetic.

Would love your veg options.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:29 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat

Might as well add some ethnic food to the list with your experience. Kebab ? Something else with chicken ?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Ya'll need to scroll upthread a few posts and you can see what Waldorf salad should look like. I have no idea who at AC thought what they served was remotely close. (yes boys and girls, FWP) and

Not sure why Mr. Peever and his awesome food suggestions are in this thread which is about meals served on North American J ....but I love his list and I say we put him in charge!

Seems to me the discussion should be here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l-food-ac.html

Originally Posted by Bartolo
....Would love your veg options.
Well, in the other thread, a few of us want to know why AC can't manage salads as a main course - and I posted photos.

Originally Posted by vernonc
Might as well add some ethnic food to the list with your experience. Kebab ? Something else with chicken ?
That would be awesome, but AC is already offering pseudo ethnic food on certain routes and the ones I've tried are underwhelming. I am not sure they can manage an awesome Chicken Tikka at 40,000'. We've all had some impressive meals in J on other airlines - including ethnic/regional - and they manage it. Maybe those airlines care about pleasing customers, maybe those airlines have better catering.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:44 am

Ya'll need to scroll upthread a few posts and you can see what Waldorf salad should look like. I have no idea who at AC thought what they served was remotely close. (yes boys and girls, FWP) and

Not sure why Mr. Peever and his awesome food suggestions are in this thread which is about meals served on North American J ....but I love his list and I say we put him in charge!

Seems to me the discussion should be here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l-food-ac.html

Well, in the other thread, a few of us want to know why AC can't manage salads as a main course - and I posted photos.

That would be awesome, but AC is already offering pseudo ethnic food on certain routes and the ones I've tried are underwhelming. I am not sure they can manage an awesome Chicken Tikka at 40,000'. We've all had some impressive meals in J on other airlines - including ethnic/regional - and they manage it. Maybe those airlines care about pleasing customers, maybe those airlines have better catering.
I recall a chicken tikka dish when AC first rolled out what they termed bistro cuisine (TALT). It was actually very good. Disappeared fairly quickly from the rota. SD told me they had complaints about the smell in the cabin from the dish. Once when I brought beautiful fresh strawberries (in season) on board, I was told their fragrance was noticeable throughout the cabin. Not sure if that was a criticism but I offered done to FA.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:49 pm

Because that's what I would do for NA J . You should see the ideas I have for INTL J .

Woo! 2 votes! How many more do I need to get the job?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Because that's what I would do for NA J . You should see the ideas I have for INTL J .

Woo! 2 votes! How many more do I need to get the job?

Let me be clear...

#MakeSeanPeeverInchargeOfACFood

^
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:08 pm

So, I mean for this post to be constructive - not critiquing.

The problem with AC J Domestic food is that they try to be fancy without the budget to be fancy.

That means you have two real options to improve it.

1) Increase the budget (I just assumed this would not happen)

2) Change the food options (Figured this was most likely)

So the best course of action, assuming the above, is to do the foods you can do really well with the budget you have - rather than trying to do foods that are fancier when you don't have the budget to do it.

Hence a lot of the suggestions I made above can be made in bulk very easily, and cost can be kept down, while quality of that item still kept good.

Your expectation when you see "beef tenderloin" is X. And AC has proven for over a decade that they won't meet the quality of X.

So why not do something like Lasaguna or Dumplings, where the expection is Y and they can meet or exceed Y with the same budget.

Over promise and underdeliver vs under promise and over deliver.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:29 pm

So, I mean for this post to be constructive - not critiquing.

The problem with AC J Domestic food is that they try to be fancy without the budget to be fancy.

That means you have two real options to improve it.

1) Increase the budget (I just assumed this would not happen)

2) Change the food options (Figured this was most likely)

So the best course of action, assuming the above, is to do the foods you can do really well with the budget you have - rather than trying to do foods that are fancier when you don't have the budget to do it.

Hence a lot of the suggestions I made above can be made in bulk very easily, and cost can be kept down, while quality of that item still kept good.

Your expectation when you see "beef tenderloin" is X. And AC has proven for over a decade that they won't meet the quality of X.

So why not do something like Lasaguna or Dumplings, where the expection is Y and they can meet or exceed Y with the same budget.

Over promise and underdeliver vs under promise and over deliver.
You're assuming their model is to encourage repeat sales by making the J experience on AC worth buying again. An alternative strategy is to use ridiculous language ("beef tenderloin" for McDonalds' quality beef) in adverts to entice first time J sales. The latter strategy is not sustainable long-term, but their strategy may very well be to draw prospective flyers away from other airlines through marketing.

If your time on this forum has taught you anything, certainly one of those things is that AC is not keen on rewarding FFers very much. My hunch is this type of marketing is to appeal to prospective J pax in Asia and Europe and the US to misrepresent the soft product just enough to make the sale.

But I'm also cynical so excuse me. I would like some nice and easy comfort food though... Flying international F on other airlines and I've never heard of half the terms used on menus. What's wrong with bacon mac&cheese yo!
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
You're assuming their model is to encourage repeat sales by making the J experience on AC worth buying again. An alternative strategy is to use ridiculous language ("beef tenderloin" for McDonalds' quality beef) in adverts to entice first time J sales. The latter strategy is not sustainable long-term, but their strategy may very well be to draw prospective flyers away from other airlines through marketing.

If your time on this forum has taught you anything, certainly one of those things is that AC is not keen on rewarding FFers very much. My hunch is this type of marketing is to appeal to prospective J pax in Asia and Europe and the US to misrepresent the soft product just enough to make the sale.

But I'm also cynical so excuse me. I would like some nice and easy comfort food though... Flying international F on other airlines and I've never heard of half the terms used on menus. What's wrong with bacon mac&cheese yo!
You are correct, I did make that assumption! But repeat J sales are where you have to go if you want to stay in the game! There are only so many people who will pay $6G R/T YVR - YYZ before you have to start repeating pax.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nazdoom

Comfort Food. Yessssss.

I posted photos of the mid-flight burgers from my trips with CX and BR. Each was significantly better than ANY AC beef dish I've had in the past year.

I know what you're all thinking, if the beef has been consistently bad, why keep ordering it. Well, I don't do AC pasta after that giant mushroom debacle, and often the fish or chicken are coated in stuff I can't eat. And some of the special meals I've tried are even worse.

Back to the burgers. Simply. Easy to prepare. Can flavour it up with herbs like CX and BR. Can add condiments for additional flavours.

And I agree 100% with the ridiculous menu descriptions when the actual item on the plate bears little resemblance.

FWP alert over.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:47 pm

You are correct, I did make that assumption! But repeat J sales are where you have to go if you want to stay in the game! There are only so many people who will pay $6G R/T YVR - YYZ before you have to start repeating pax.
Speculation on my part, but my hunch is their current goal is just to leech off the large volume of premium fare travel from Asia. They have BR, NH, and CA in the alliance with direct flights into YVR and YYZ whose pax they can then position within Canada, OZ and SQ with flights to US hubs they can then transfer pax to Canada, and they recently added CX to leech off those pax needing a connection. In addition, they've been consistently adding capacity to Asia and opening new AC routes (e.g. YUL-PVG).

I think, for J, AC has really turned its eyes to foreign travelers to leech off high-fare international connections. Someone flying CX J who hasn't visited Canada before would probably rather connect onto AC J than WS Y, even though the AC J may be some regional flight with few amenities. The promotional materials will no doubt sway people, as most won't bother turning to threads like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.