Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by s_yvr
Surprised Transport Canada would push a little harder on this. Wouldn't be ideal over the middle of the pacific
​​​​
Not ideal, sure, but not a (critical) emergency either. The crew successfully started the engine again prior to landing in Moscow, and even if a similar event occurred mid-ocean and they were unable to restart the engine, the reliability required to gain their ETOPS certification all but ensures a successful outcome.

Provided of course, the mechanics properly tightened the other metering units on the good engine. I may sound glib, but this seems like an entirely preventable occurrence and really should not be expected with an airline of AC's standing. I'm curious to learn the chain of events that led to the shutdown.

Losing ETOPS certification would be likely if an airline is prone to experimenting with single-engine flight; the resultant costs in terms of added fuel, route/schedule adjustments, increased overflight charges and likely loss of premium revenue should - hopefully - get AC's attention in a big way.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
Unless this data is wrong, she's been busy

Isn't this just as busy as any other in-service mainline widebody FIN, more or less?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Isn't this just as busy as any other in-service mainline widebody FIN, more or less?
I was just responding to ITAG per this exchange, and adding C-FNOE's recent activity

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
"Maintenance found a loose connector on the fuel metering unit. The connector was tightened and an engine run successfully performed."

This is encouraging. LOL.
Well, little Fin C-FNOE is currently less than 1.5 hours from GRU, so I assume things are going well.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Can someone explain how this process works?

"The crew requested to divert to London, however, was denied while already in UK airspace near Plymouth,EN (UK) and therefore set course for a return to Paris."

Incident: Canada A333 over Atlantic on Jun 22nd 2018, hydraulic failure

By Simon Hradecky, created Sunday, Jun 24th 2018 20:49Z, last updated Sunday, Jun 24th 2018 20:49Z

An Air Canada Airbus A330-300, registration C-GFAH performing flight AC-885 from Paris Charles de Gaulle (France) to Montreal,QC (Canada), was enroute at FL360 about 600nm west of Brest (France) when the crew decided to abort the flight due to a hydraulic failure. The crew requested to divert to London, however, was denied while already in UK airspace near Plymouth,EN (UK) and therefore set course for a return to Paris. The aircraft landed safely back in Paris about 4.5 hours after departure.

A passenger reported the captain announced about 2.5 hours into the flight they were diverting to London due to a hydraulic failure, subsequently announced that they were refused by ATC and were now returning to Paris.

https://avherald.com/h?article=4ba4a68b&opt=0
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:35 am

Did the crew declare an emergency? If not, is ATC obliged to accommodate a voluntary diversion?

More likely question: did the passenger accurately recount what he/she heard?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM
Likely they wanted to land where there was AC presence and service for a 330. If it was a really big emergency, they would have landed in Shannon.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cozmo456
Likely they wanted to land where there was AC presence and service for a 330. If it was a really big emergency, they would have landed in Shannon.
Dublin, yes. I thought Shannon was operated by 737s?
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Can someone explain how this process works?
I will explain on July 13th
Old Jun 26, 2018, 6:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...486510211.html

Passengers were stuck in their seats for at least 90 minutes Sunday night after an Air Canada flight landed on the tarmac in Winnipeg, due to a flight attendant's missing passport.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:56 am

Wouldn't the more serious issue be the plane "landing on the tarmac"?

Anyway, surely there must be better ways of resolving a missing passport than this. No way they'd detain the planeload if it were yours or my document. And of what use is taking pictures of passengers' passports?
How miserable...and if the FA finds the missing passport (probably lying with the heap of phones between the J seats and a window), he/she should personally phone each customer to apologize and offer each of them use of their flight pass benefits for one trip each.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Not that I trust the media to have all facts, but there was no evidence presented to suggest a theft at all. Could a pocket have been left open, and it had just fallen out?

Anyway, I'm shocked either AC or the RCMP would take on the liability of detaining people with zero evidence against n-1, and likely zero evidence against the perpetrator, if there was one.
Stranger likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:09 pm

Programs: HH Silver
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...486751971.html

Passengers kept on an airplane at the Winnipeg airport for more than an hour to be individually interviewed about a missing flight attendant's passport were "unlawfully detained" by police, legal experts suggest.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Kettling by Airplane? (how dare I use such a word)

I guess since they were interviewed and let go one-by-one, it wasn't technically that. But I'm sure it felt somewhat like it.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:26 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by tcook052
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...486751971.html

Passengers kept on an airplane at the Winnipeg airport for more than an hour to be individually interviewed about a missing flight attendant's passport were "unlawfully detained" by police, legal experts suggest.
I wonder if the airline or police were following some sort of protocol. Their response definitely seems disproportionate to someone losing a passport...
Old Jun 27, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
According to the purposive approach adopted in R. v. Grant, 2009 SCC 32, [2009] 2 S.C.R. 353, detention under ss. 9 and 10 of the Charter refers to a suspension of the individual’s liberty interest by a significant physical or psychological restraint. Psychological detention is established either where the individual has a legal obligation to comply with the restrictive request or demand, or a reasonable person would conclude by reason of the state conduct that he or she had no choice but to comply. The onus is on the applicant to show that, in the circumstances, he or she was effectively deprived of his or her liberty of choice.
When you land, you taxi to the gate and get off. There isn't much ceremony. Nothing at all like getting through security, aboard, sitting through a safety demo. The crew asking the passengers to clean, and then a pair of armed officers coming through the only door to interrogate the entirety of the flight to any reasonable definition qualifies as "significant physical or psychological restraint".

A number of people should be getting fired. Pretty much anyone wearing a uniform that day.

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 27, 2018 at 8:29 pm Reason: fix quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.