Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by ffsim

I guess you can't count on Gander-esque hospitality everywhere you can land a stricken plane
Given the requirement for visas for probably all passengers and crew , and the length of the intended stay, I'm hardly surprised they were kept from officially entering the country. This event really isn't comparable to Sept 11th.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 5:36 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Given the requirement for visas for probably all passengers and crew , and the length of the intended stay, I'm hardly surprised they were kept from officially entering the country. This event really isn't comparable to Sept 11th.
There are alternatives to giving the whole compliment of pax and crew a private, guided tour of the Kremlin.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by ffsim

There are alternatives to giving the whole compliment of pax and crew a private, guided tour of the Kremlin.
Some people have higher expectations of "hospitality" than I had envisioned. A more reasonable and non-facetious alternative might be to allow them to sequester in a comfortable room or airport hotel etc until their rescue flight arrives. It sounds like neither of us have any idea how the diverted crew/passengers were accommodated for their unplanned Russian holiday, but declining them visas to officially enter the country is certainly not within the realm of the inhospitable.
I'll recant if we learn they were kept onboard the plane for the duration of the delay; until then let's pass on comparisons to rural townsfolk whose actions inspired Broadway plays.

Precautionary diversions occur regularly, as do government decisions not to allow 300 unscheduled foreigners past the airport to which they diverted.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:46 pm

Some incidents are covered in excruciating detail.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:52 pm
Suspended

A "collectible", as it were, since you don't see AC flights on this route....often

Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
A "collectible", as it were, since you don't see AC flights on this route....often

Imma gonna blow this up into a huge poster and hang it on my wall next to my pet Komodo Dragon's cage.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
It sounds like neither of us have any idea how the diverted crew/passengers were accommodated for their unplanned Russian holiday...
speak for yourself:

Last edited by tcook052; Jun 8, 2018 at 4:52 am
Old Jun 7, 2018, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Old Jun 7, 2018, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Some Details

Incident: Canada B789 near Moscow on Jun 4th 2018, engine flamed out and was restarted

Simon Hradecky, created Thursday, Jun 7th 2018 19:32Z, last updated Thursday, Jun 7th 2018 19:32Z

An Air Canada Boeing 787-900, registration C-FNOE performing flight AC-43 from Delhi (India) to Toronto,ON (Canada) with 297 passengers and 14 crew, was enroute at FL310 about 830nm eastnortheast of Moscow Domodedovo (Russia) when the left hand engine (GEnx) flamed out. The crew successfully restarted the engine, declared emergency and diverted to Moscow Domodedovo for a safe landing about 2 hours later.

The Canadian TSB reported Russia's Federal Air Transport Agency decided to not open an investigation. Maintenance found a loose connector on the fuel metering unit. The connector was tightened and an engine run successfully performed.

The aircraft remained on the ground in Moscow for about 38 hours, then positioned to Toronto as flight AC-7070.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...840Z/VIDP/CYYZ
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:11 am

"Maintenance found a loose connector on the fuel metering unit. The connector was tightened and an engine run successfully performed."

This is encouraging. LOL.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 5:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
"Maintenance found a loose connector on the fuel metering unit. The connector was tightened and an engine run successfully performed."

Well, little Fin C-FNOE is currently less than 1.5 hours from GRU, so I assume things are going well.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
C-FinNoEnginE?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RangerNS
C-FinNoEnginE?
Unless this data is wrong, she's been busy

Last edited by 24left; Jun 8, 2018 at 11:47 am
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy

Righty Tighty?

Surprised Transport Canada would push a little harder on this. Wouldn't be ideal over the middle of the pacific
​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.