Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Somewhat scary one near Winnipeg" - The AC Master Incidents Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
It seems much of this thread can be reduced to a simple link to a single Twitter feed.
En route diversions - although they do qualify as 'incidents' are rather mundane.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
It seems much of this thread can be reduced to a simple link to a single Twitter feed.
En route diversions - although they do qualify as 'incidents' are rather mundane.
Disagree. A good part of this thread has absolutely nothing to do with Winnipeg. A good part of this thread has posts from Aviation Herald. Half of all the AC items posted on Av Herald posts don't even make it here.

If you have a better idea for posting this stuff, please share. AC FT is severely short of interesting news.
Stranger, Bohemian1 and smallmj like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
How often do you get to see an AC FIN at DME?
tcook052, ffsim, Bohemian1 and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by 24left
Disagree. A good part of this thread has absolutely nothing to do with Winnipeg. A good part of this thread has posts from Aviation Herald. Half of all the AC items posted on Av Herald posts don't even make it here.

If you have a better idea for posting this stuff, please share. AC FT is severely short of interesting news.
I understand this thread title is not to be taken precisely. Nor should the content of my last post. I said "much of", which indicates literal interpretation is unwarranted.
If some of the AvHerald content doesn't get posted here, I applaud the discretion of those who feel that every single unexpected event need not be listed.

Do we know if AC43 shut down an engine in flight? If it did not, none of the 13 TSB-defined criteria of a reportable incident occurred, at least based upon the limited information at hand.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Incident: Canada B789 over Atlantic on May 29th 2018, engine oil leak

By Simon Hradecky, created Monday, Jun 4th 2018 21:19Z, last updated Monday, Jun 4th 2018 21:19Z

An Air Canada Boeing 787-900, registration C-FRSO performing flight AC-844 (dep May 28th) from Calgary,AB (Canada) to Frankfurt/Main (Germany) with 196 passengers and 11 crew, was enroute at FL380 over the Atlantic Ocean about 550nm northeast of Goose Bay,NL (Canada) when the crew detected the loss of engine oil from the #1 engine (GEnx) and reduced the engine to idle thrust. The crew requested to divert to Goose Bay and landed there without further incident about 1:45 hours later.

The Canadian TSB reported: "maintenance determined that the L2 Variable Frequency Starter Generator (VFSG) was leaking oil due to O rings damage on the shaft and the carbon seal. After the VFSG and the carbon seal were replaced, a successful leak check was carried out."

http://avherald.com/h?article=4b97542a&opt=0
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:42 pm

Is this AC844 diversion the same event that canadiancow and coleo discussed last week?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by canadiancow
This is an unusual sight in Goose Bay.

May 28, YYC-FRA had an engine oil pressure issue near Greenland and diverted to Goose Bay.

They're flying in a replacement 789 to deal with the 250 pax.

They flew 7 people in from YYT with us to deal with the plane. Mechanics, loaders/unloaders (there's a risk of damaging the aircraft if you don't know what you're doing), etc.

Given how late YYR staff had to stay around, it wouldn't surprise me if some if the 7 we're checkin staff too.

​I wonder if you can book this...

And here we are sitting on a Q400 that is out of many of the BVRGs we want.
Incident: Canada B789 over Atlantic on May 29th 2018, engine oil leak

By Simon Hradecky, created Monday, Jun 4th 2018 21:19Z, last updated Monday, Jun 4th 2018 21:19Z

An Air Canada Boeing 787-900, registration C-FRSO performing flight AC-844 (dep May 28th) from Calgary,AB (Canada) to Frankfurt/Main (Germany) with 196 passengers and 11 crew, was enroute at FL380 over the Atlantic Ocean about 550nm northeast of Goose Bay,NL (Canada) when the crew detected the loss of engine oil from the #1 engine (GEnx) and reduced the engine to idle thrust. The crew requested to divert to Goose Bay and landed there without further incident about 1:45 hours later.

The Canadian TSB reported: "maintenance determined that the L2 Variable Frequency Starter Generator (VFSG) was leaking oil due to O rings damage on the shaft and the carbon seal. After the VFSG and the carbon seal were replaced, a successful leak check was carried out."

http://avherald.com/h?article=4b97542a&opt=0
Originally Posted by CZAMFlyer
Is this AC844 diversion the same event that canadiancow and coleo discussed last week?
Yes, it appears so.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 4:13 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
"L2 Variable Frequency Starter Generator"?

I dunno why, but the name alone makes me want to have one.

P.S. For the curious, there's info and a picture of one here.

On topic, one of the stated benefits is "...fully self-contained with its own lubrication system...".
24left likes this.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Jun 4, 2018 at 4:17 pm Reason: Reference to Boeing Info
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
When did Air Canada add a 787-900 to its fleet??
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ffsim
When did Air Canada add a 787-900 to its fleet??
They've been reading too many of my previous FOTSG posts referring the 787-9 as the 787-900. 😂
ffsim likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 10:23 pm
Suspended

And an update. Interesting.

Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
And an update. Interesting.

I guess you can't count on Gander-esque hospitality everywhere you can land a stricken plane

Last edited by ffsim; Jun 5, 2018 at 8:04 am Reason: Geography typo
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by ffsim
I guess you can't count on Ganger-esque hospitality everywhere you can land a stricken plane
Ganger?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
Ganger?
Whoops... fixed it. Of course, I was referring to the lovely town in Newfoundland
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
Originally Posted by tcook052
Ganger?
Its how Gander locals pronounce Gander after a light night of drinking.
tcook052, ffsim and canadiancow like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.